Panasonic HC-X900M Editing on Mac

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Awolfe, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Awolfe

Awolfe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone

Aaron here new to your forum.

I come form a graphic design background and have used the Adobe CS5.5 Master collection suite for a couple years but up to now have not played with the video editing features in the suite so I will most likely ask some very newbi stuff and although I am a computer geek I am just starting my video journey.

I bought the HC-X900M recently and have been playing with it to learn how I might produce a high quality video output in 2 formats:
    1 for web
    2 for DVD

I am using a Macbook Pro OSX 10.8.2 and I have been trying to use Premiere Pro CS5.5 (PP) and Adobe encoder but am not sure what the presets should be for the native file formats coming from the camera nor do I know what the best output settings should be for Web or DVD as I have not worked in video but in graphic design.

Any resources, settings workflows or shareware freeware stuff you can point me to to assist would be helpful I don't have any funds left to upgrade to Adobe 6 so if 5.5 won't do it I'm stuck. :eek:

Also I do have the option of going PC but don't have any editing software for my windows 8 machine. I was a PC guy for over 20 years and worked in IT but went to Mac when I retrained for graphic design after the economy failed. So if for some reason it would be easier to go to PC I am willing but wanted to try to use Mac as I own the software already and was hoping to use it.

Thank you

Aaron

2. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have no idea whether it is still true but I have read that MACs have trouble with progressive footage - ie 1080 50p. They are however happy with interlaced - ie 1080 50i.

3. Awolfe

Awolfe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx Bob

4. doug_1986

doug_1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    It's not true :)

5. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I believe it was true . . . but Mac software is very good and very expensive, being aimed at Graphics & Media types who are prepared to pay £££'s....ie pro's

However. home-users:
    - can get a very similar software package like Vegas Movie Studio - but go for the "v12 Suite" version, currently £45 (Amazon-DYOR), this is an excellent Editor and Sony website has Tutorials and Forums (but the initial learning can be painful- Ooops)...also YouTube has many and varied,

-You can get a 30-day "trial" free, if that helps.
    As a bonus it will also edit 3D if yr Pana has the conversion lens...etc.
    Good Luck.

6. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    From the Vegas website:

Works on Windows 7, XP, Vista and 8
    Works on 64 bit and 32 bit Windows
    Works on Mac Intel OS X 10.4.4 and above