• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic HC x900 - PC or MAC?

Ian H

Novice Member
Need some advice. Have just purchased a HC -X900 to replace a twelve year old mini DV cam to use for home videoing. I am no expert and purchased after reading good reviews. However, I have a seven year old i-mac with i-movie and I just assumed I would be able to record and edit on the i-mac.
After reading up on this I am now confused.
Am I correct in now thinking that my old i-mac (OSX 10.4.11) will not read the SDHC cards which the X900 records onto?
I realise I may need to purchase a new Mac/PC - This is where I am even more confused.
If it is neceesary, I would prefer to replace my old i-mac with a new i-mac but am I correct in thinking that the "I-frame" recording format (needed to edit footage on a Mac) is only standard definition quality. If this is so, would I be better replacing my i-Mac with a PC to enable me to record HD quality video and then edit it?
I know I should have done a bit more homework but now I have the x900 i just want to know which is the best option to allow me to do basic editing - my current i-mac or a new one/PC. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.:lease:

12harry

Distinguished Member
Welcome.
Sorry can't help with Macs.
However a powerful PC (min quad-core Win7 ) lots of HDD space (like 3Tb).... and software may be cheaper than buying a replacement Mac - perhaps you should research this aspect.?

Do you have any Editiing software preference?

Last edited by a moderator:

DocJackal

Ian H said:
am I correct in thinking that the "I-frame" recording format (needed to edit footage on a Mac) is only standard definition quality.

No, you're not. If you decided to buy a new iMac with final cut or imovie, your camara would work perfectly with it. If you set the camera to AVCHD 1080i50 (so HD), the Mac will be able to import the footage and edit with it no problem.

I'm not sure where this common misconception comes from, perhaps because FCP converts AVCHD to Prores?

Ian H

Novice Member
Thanks Doug, the reason I (and maybe others) was confused is because the Hc-X900 manual recommends setting the camera to I-frame mode if you intend to import to a Mac. It is a bit misleading so thank you very much for enlightening me. I will now probably buy a new I-mac.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom