Panasonic hc-x800 camcorder teething problem!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by KAMRAN MAZHAR, Sep 2, 2012.

1. KAMRAN MAZHAR

KAMRAN MAZHAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have had my camcorder a week now and just used it a few times in Automatic mode recording the kids. I will eventually get to grips with the Manual features like i did with my Lumix stills camera.

However, i notice the picture is blocky and not smooth when the movement of my kids gets faster when they start to jump around faster and arms are waving. I cannot fault the quality of recording, just when movement quickens.

I originally thought it was a problem in playback via my laptop, then tried my via the TV direct and same problem. So then viewed it in playback via the LCD screen and noticed the same problem. I even got my nephew to see if it was just all in my head and he agreed the problem is when there is a change in faster action movement that takes place.

Can anyone help?

Much Appreciated!
    Kam

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

What recording quality setting are you using? This shouldn't be an issue with higher quality recording rates, such as HA or when recording at 1080/50P.

Other recording rates trade quality for a longer recording time.

Also what memory card are you using? If it isn't of the correct type or decent quality it may be struggling to keep up.

Regards

Phil

3. KAMRAN MAZHAR

KAMRAN MAZHAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted now.... Thanks!

Im only ever going to use the highest 1080/50p setting. Don't see the point in anything less. I called the seller and was told it wont be my memory card as i bought a genuine 10 speed, 32Gb Sandisk Extreme card recently for £22 bargain on Amazon. End of the line stock which was retailing at £90 odd not so long ago.

So was then told to reset camcorder back to default factory setting via the set-up menu and it worked.
    I briefly recorded my niece jumping and down earlier and played back directly onto the TV and no blocky footage.
    Great!

But still curious as to why just changing all the setting via the menu's resulted in blocky footage? Will it happen again once i start to set most features to ON again? Im sure to find out soon enough?

Any other problems, hopefully i won't encounter any and i'l post again.

Many Thanks
    Kamran

4. KAMRAN MAZHAR

KAMRAN MAZHAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to ask you, have you had your X-800/900 long?

Have you got to grips with the Manual features much yet?

I intend to at some point, but really want to know do they offer much of a noticeable difference to the quick and simplee point and shoot Auto Mode?

Thanking you....
    Kam

5. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    I don't know this camcorder, but the jumpy-files will tell their own story - have a look at the files you downloaded onto your PC. Under "properties" it should give you the Resolution and Frame-rate, etc.

Compare those settings with the Non-jumpy clips and you may discover what was the issue . . . . it's possible it was left in that condition before being boxed - dunno.

The best way to progress in video is to join a film-making club locally - there you will get tuition and set-Projects which put your gear "on the line" -that's when those tech-worries come to the fore and can't be ignored. Such experience is invaluable when you next have the family about and are distracted by the day's excitement.