Question Panasonic HC-VXF990 Quality Issues

TM19

Standard Member
I hope someone can help?

I’m a video novice using a 4K Panasonic HC-VXF990 camcorder to do some music videos and the quality is great when I watch them via my TV but I’m disappointed with the quality when ;

1) I see them shown on Spotlight TV (Country Music Channel on Sky-Not HD)

2) When I burn them to DVD.

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if I just need to upgrade my camera?

I record and edit in 4K using Power Director and send to Spotlight TV In MPEG4 format, you can check out the quality of one of my videos at
Hopefully I have given enough information and I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance 🙏

eMeS

Novice Member
Hi,

I've owned and used a VXF990 for a short time, but so far haven't managed to see any of my footage on a 4K display.
There's a massive difference between the overall data rates between 4K and the earlier AVCHD standard. Purely as a diagnostic aid, can I suggest you try recording in AVCHD and see whether your software can cope properly with a reduced video bandwidth. I know this won't give you 4K at the end for display, but if the sound is OK, it might be a clue as to where to look next.

Best Wishes

Upvote 0

chrishull3

I hope someone can help?

I’m a video novice using a 4K Panasonic HC-VXF990 camcorder to do some music videos and the quality is great when I watch them via my TV but I’m disappointed with the quality when ;

1) I see them shown on Spotlight TV (Country Music Channel on Sky-Not HD)

2) When I burn them to DVD.

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if I just need to upgrade my camera?

I record and edit in 4K using Power Director and send to Spotlight TV In MPEG4 format, you can check out the quality of one of my videos at
Hopefully I have given enough information and I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance 🙏
Your youtube is on as HD and it does not look bad, DVD is only SD and i suspect the tv channel is also sd so the quality will be a lot lower,if you are happy with the direct results from your tv the camcorder is cetainly not the problem.

Upvote 0

TM19

Standard Member
Hi,

I've owned and used a VXF990 for a short time, but so far haven't managed to see any of my footage on a 4K display.
There's a massive difference between the overall data rates between 4K and the earlier AVCHD standard. Purely as a diagnostic aid, can I suggest you try recording in AVCHD and see whether your software can cope properly with a reduced video bandwidth. I know this won't give you 4K at the end for display, but if the sound is OK, it might be a clue as to where to look next.

Best Wishes
Thanks for replying, sorry but I'm just not sure what angle you are coming from?

Upvote 0

TM19

Standard Member
Your youtube is on as HD and it does not look bad, DVD is only SD and i suspect the tv channel is also sd so the quality will be a lot lower,if you are happy with the direct results from your tv the camcorder is cetainly not the problem.
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Yes the channel is SD. If I can be more specific, check video at about 25secs and look at the guitar strings, out of focus?

Upvote 0

12harry

Distinguished Member
May I? - Burning to DVD quality is way off from your 4K - You can get better play-quality by editing to USB-Stick - a good step-up from DVD and in my experience, a lot easier to do.... the snag being USB sticks are more expensive if being "Given away" - Blueray discs will be cheaper than USB but there's less choice in Burning software and you need a BD-Burner+Player obviously.
Whenever media is changed from one standard to another there is some loss, unless the pixels are an exact multiple - the same goes for frame-rate issues. . . . and Audio formats.
However, it should be the Content that shines through,. . . . . although it's good to plan for the average viewer's set-up.... which may be far less than the camcorder you chose. This will apply to the Vision as well as speakers.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom