Panasonic HC-V800 can't select max image size

panav800

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping someone can assist with this. Panasonic "support" has been no help.

Recently got a HC-V800 just for some walk around recording while hiking. While I shoot stills with my DSLR, the stills capability of this camcorder is still something I'd like to occasionally use. However I simply am unable to get the settings to make available the maximum still picture resolution listed in the specs of this model, which is meant to be 25.9MP. The maximum option showing is 14mp.

The manual is of no help in this regard. It covers multiple models, and the consensus I get from reading it is that to activate max still picture resolution, the camera needs to be in "still picture mode" and not video mode. But this model has no still picture mode that I can find. The one button is to toggle between video recording mode and playback mode. So I'm at a dead end on how to get that still picture setting of 25.9mp to show in the settings menu.

Can anyone assist with this.. if so I'd be very thankful (it's become very frustrating, knowing the specs list the setting but no matter what I do I can not make it happen in camera). Thanks

Solution
Still/Video Modes:- Bottom right hand corner of the LCD touch to display the still/video modes.
( an icon of video and DSLR cameras) See P23 of the manual. :facepalm:

Toggle between still and video.
In Still Mode:- Select Menu from main screen. Picture Select 25.9 picture size.
Any other problems - just shout. :clap:
Just a thought , seeing as though the manual is impenetrable , are you certain you haven’t got your specs mixed up , no offence intended ✌️

Upvote 0
Still/Video Modes:- Bottom right hand corner of the LCD touch to display the still/video modes.
( an icon of video and DSLR cameras) See P23 of the manual. :facepalm:

Toggle between still and video.
In Still Mode:- Select Menu from main screen. Picture Select 25.9 picture size.
Any other problems - just shout. :clap:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Just a thought , seeing as though the manual is impenetrable , are you certain you haven’t got your specs mixed up , no offence intended ✌️
You are right, the manual is difficult to navigate with three models of camera to cover.
I answer any question with the camera in front of me so it is easier to explain.

Note to Panav800:- If I need a photo from a video, I will lift it in my video editor from the exact frame that fits my need. I rarely lift a photo while videoing as it demands too much concentration.🥵

Upvote 0
Terfyn thank you very much. That icon wasnt showing on the touchscreen, hence the issue. Obviously I just needed to touch the touchscreen to get it to appear. Honestly have no idea how I glossed over that whole thing. :blush:

I'll certainly take on board your advice to extract stills from video. I can see how it'd be disrupting to take still images most of the time. I'll be learning a lot in this forum. Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Seriously, I suggest that when you have a quiet few minutes, take the camera and just explore all the menus and options. There is a sort of on screen help to explain the button you have pressed.

Have you downloaded the .pdf user manual? If not it is on the Panasonic web site under "support" for the camera. You can then use "find" to locate a particular item.
Confidence in your camera will help a lot.

Anything else - Just ask. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I have H-V800 camcorder and find the pdf unnecessarily bad.... but no worse that Panas User Guide for their DVD Recorder - a friend of mine has/had one and until it went wrong never managed to record-to-DVD once. I tried reading the guide but gave up.
. . . . . Certainly to achieve the higher picture file-sizes you need to be in "Stills-Mode" as Terfyn suggested. Indeed, it was this quality expectation that was a good reason to buy, and after much searching I discovered the fix.
However, some of the effects ( I believed I needed ), are hidden somewhere and when/if I find them I shall write a half-page Instruction to myself, placing it in the Case.... to find it easily.

I don't find the focussing very good either. It tends to focus on the background when aimed at a bird in a leaf-free tree( in the garden) and Manual mode is difficult too. The Sony, in manual focus, gave the distance in metres, so you had some idea. in Auto, Sony allowed focusing any point on the screen by touch.

+++Maybe I've more to learn...

Cheers...H.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom