• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic HC-V770 playback - sound issues

DJ83

Novice Member
Hi,

We recently purchased a Panasonic HC-V770 camcorder, and recorded our holiday.

When I watch the recordings back on the camcorder' s screen, and listen to it with headphones plugged into the camcorder, everything runs smoothly.

However when I connect the camcorder to my TV using the supplied USB cable, the sound does not play back smoothly.

The video footage within each file starts slightly before the sound starts. So you see movement before hearing sound.

When the sound does kick in, it often starts with a crackle or a static noise.

What would cause this?

Does the memory card used make any difference?

We previously had a Panasonic camcorder that did not have these issues, and the whole video played back smoothly.

Equally the overall quality of the sound is much better when listening to the camcorder via headphones, compared to the quality when it's plugged into the TV.

Is there a way that the sound can be played back through my Sound bar? Our TV is constantly connected to the Sound bar without issue, however the Camcorder sound was not picked up by the Sound bar. We had to connect it directly to the TV.

It is a good quality TV, so I wouldn't have thought that would be the issue.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Danny.

DJ83

Novice Member
We have noticed that a tiny section of sound from the end of 'scene 1', moves to the start of 'scene 2'.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Hi,
Sound sync woes...You said a previous camcorder didn't do this - but has the TV changed? Was the previous source similar ( ie HD) - and are you sure the recordings are standard Stereo ( not surround-sound, for example - which yr tv is struggling to decode.)
A simple trial might be to play the video on the tv with TV-sound at zero and plug-in/listen via yr headphones - I suspect you'll find the sound is correctly in sync . . . which "may" point to a TV "decoding" issue.

Of course you'll be using a Video-Editor in time ( Care! these are going Win-64-bit only!) and provided it has plenty of memory and pref. two internal HDD drives, with a dedicated graphics card
you will find the joy of Editing . . . adding ?repairing soundtracks introducing transitions . cuts ETC.
Then, when you Render this ( ie make the real changes into a new independent file ).... this should play on yr TV . . . . but even this can be fraught with "issues"

Good luck, - these tech-woes can be tricky to identify...

Terfyn

Never had this problem with the 750. I use an HDMI link to my Panasonic TV. Have you found the same problem when you play back the video shots on your PC using the media player?

DJ83

Novice Member
Thank you.

I tested the Camorder playback on another TV (an old LG), and there are no issues!

It therefore seems to be an issue with the TV, which is actually quite a good model.

Can it be resolved?

Terfyn

I suggest you edit the video and render it. Then try it on your new TV.

12harry

Distinguished Member
OP appears to be blaming that new TV . . . so now I doubt a rendered-video will be significantly better "Lip-Sync" wise than the original complaint.
However, if it has a different input ( that specifically accepts whatever format OP renders the Camcorder stuff into.) - then it stands a reasonable chance . . . . but why would the Designers make it "wrong" for the HDMI input?
Strange that we still don't know the Make/Model of this rogue TV - it is possible it's a fault; and another one would work OK . . . that would be my concern.... maybe worth contacting the supplier, in case you can get it looked at....
I had input-selecting issues with my TV from Tesco . . . but it was resolved by a new MBO, I think; now the switching is close to perfect, ever since ( Top marks to Tesco).

I think OP needs to sort the TV out, rather than hoping some future fix will resolve it . . . I might presume this TV was bought to improve his AV experience.

Good Luck.

DJ83

Novice Member
Hi,

The TV providers have suggested that i change the Camcorder output to Stereo or PCM.

How do I do this please?

Thanks

Terfyn

Had a look at the Instruction Manual and I don't think you can change the camcorder audio output internally. If you recorded in stereo then the unit should play back in stereo.
The camcorder is clearly set up to work with a Panasonic VIERA TV (which I own so I have not come across this problem)

Again I suggest you put your video through a video editor and then you can choose the audio output at the rendering stage. I had a problem very like this with my video projector that would not play Dolby audio, I had to re-render all my videos specifically to work on the projector. I had to convert the Dolby audio to LPCM audio and all was well. So you may be suffering from a similar problem

I noticed that on my video editor if I render in AVI (used with DV tape cameras) I would get PCM audio recorded on the final video.

Last edited:

DJ83

Novice Member
Thank you.

That sounds beyond me to be honest.

I don't have a laptop or a PC.

I simply wanted to connect the camcorder to the TV and watch the holiday film.

As I say, it does play back with sound, but the issues arise when it transfers from one scene file to another.

Terfyn

I would doubt that Movie Maker has that sophistication. Windows Movie Maker is very simplistic and the HDWriter supplied with the camera would do a better job.
Have you tried the camera A/V Out into this TV?
In #5 you said it worked with another TV so it looks like the TV decoding is still the problem. Can you try the camera in a friend's TV, preferably Panasonic to clear the camera from being the culprit.

Another option: Do you have a Video Club near you? I am sure that you would get hands on help if you can contact them. A list of Video Clubs is available on the internet.

DJ83

Novice Member
Thank you. I did try the camcorder on a friend's TV, and it worked fine.

It therefore appears to be a connection issue to the TV.

I do not know what A/V Out means. I have simply connected the HDMI cable to the tv.

The only other cable it came with was a USB.

Terfyn

If you look between HDMI and Mic there is a circular socket marked A/V. You need to buy an A/V cable from Maplins which has a red, white and yellow set of RCA type plugs. These may connect into a similar set of sockets on your TV. I suggest Maplins as there are two configurations of this lead, one for Sony and the other for Panasonic/Canon and the wiring is different in each. Maplins define which lead is which. (Amazon don't :facepalm:)

Thank you. I did try the camcorder on a friend's TV, and it worked fine.

So it looks as if the camera is working as it should but the configuration in the TV is different. I am hoping that wiser minds can shed some light on the problem. A possible option is to buy a cheap TV that will work with your camera. (or may be a projector - for example I bought a HD Portable Projector, WIMIUS T3 for £52 from Amazon and it works fine with the 750)
A more expensive option would be to buy a PC and some video software. Again see if you can find a friend (or video club) that can show you what video editing is all about. It becomes a whole new hobby. In my case, I record a subject (usually the Grandkids) edit the video adding music, effects and voiceovers, then I save the final video on to a SD card to play back in a slot on my TV setup. I average about seven or eight videos a year.
Please keep in touch and let us know how you get along.

dosdan

The HDMI cable carries both video and sound. If your TV can not handle the sound proberly, and you have a Hi-Fi system near your TV, you could get the sound part from either the camera's A/V (Audio/Video) output or from headphone output (sound only). (You wouldn't want to use the video part from the A/V output because this will not be "Full HD" resolution - it will be lower resolution and also the colours will not be as clean - HDMI video will be much better.)

An A/V cable has 3 RCA plugs: Red/White or Black/Yellow with the two audio parts (Left & Right) being White or Black & Red. At the camera end of the cable you have a 3.5mm plug with a tip & 3-rings:

AvCable__19237.1435262094.386.513.png

For the headphone output-connection, (in your situation I'd use this), you would use a 3.5mm-to-RCA stereo cable instead. This has 3.5mm plug with a tip & 2-rings at one end and 2 RCA plugs at the other:

35490-96_1_63_4.jpg

You would then use the HDMI for video-only transmission (turn the TV's volume down), and connect the RCA plugs to the Hi-Fi's AUX(iliary) inputs.

Where there might be a problem is latency. It takes some time to decode the video inside the TV. HDMI transmits the video & audio data in digital form and includes info about the timing offset difference between these two, so that the TV can play them back in sync. But with the A/V or headphone outputs, the audio is in analogue form. So it's possible that, say, lip-syncing may be off between the picture of someone speaking and the sound of their voice. You'd have to try it to see if latency would be an issue or not.

Dan.

Last edited:

DJ83

Novice Member
Thank you. We don't have a Hi-Fi either!

Currently the sound is in sync with the lip movements.

It is simply a problem when the movie switches from one scene to another scene.

Rather than having a smooth transmission of sound, you hear a crackling noise and you lose the first second of the sound from the scene being played.

DJ83

Novice Member
Thank you.

I will buy a new memory card for future use.

However it won't solve the current movie's playback issue.

Thanks

12harry

Distinguished Member
Your description is a tad difficult to understand . . . but that's prob because you don't understand what that Prob is.
When a new scene is being presented to the TV, I'd expect a little gap as the camcorder changes from one file to the next - - - maybe the Audio is "more-obvious".
However, the way this comes over is that it's OK on some TV's - but not yr new one.
Maybe time to ditch the new one for one that does cope with the camcorder . . . if it was "All TVs" then we might blame the camcorder ( Slow changeover ?)....but it seems this is not so on some TVs - so if the connection is by the same lead it has to be a "TV fault" inasmuch that some have overcome the techy issue.

Don't you know anyone that could Edit/Render a short part of yr Movies?
it is a shame you can't get an Edited/Rendered sequence from yr camcorder - this does mean spending money - but the advantage would be "far more watchable" material. If friends/family say it's good they are being kind - almost any movie-material is improved by being "selective" and maybe adding something into the mix, by way of Titles and Audio - whether that is a Voiceover commentary, or a better recording of what is "on-screen".

A new/different TV is a cheaper Option, but not as satisfying ( long-term) IMHO..... but against that you must be prepared to learn the PC and the Editing Software, if these are both from Zero, you may have a couple of years ahead, before it's easy-peasy. However, I'm surprised that you are ON-line and able to discuss this Issue - and don't have a suitable ( Reasonably fast) PC . . . so, at the end of it all . . . I guess you have to go whichever way suits you best.

Good Luck...

Terfyn

The cheapest option is, clearly, a different SD card but as the current setup works on other TVs, this may not solve the problem.
You do not mention the model of your TV or how new it is. Is there a possibility to return the TV and exchange for another model, possibly Panasonic based? If your camcorder and your TV are mismatched, you will presumably get the same problem with all future videos.
You have asked if you can do anything without getting at the video files themselves. Without a PC and a video editor, probably not. One reason why I suggested contacting a local video club.

DJ83

Novice Member
Thanks. I have contacted various video clubs. None have offered hands on assistance though.

The TV is a Sony Bravia, and it's only about a year old (it cost £1000, so it's supposed to be a high standard).

The other TV that I tested it on and it did work, was an old LG television.

Terfyn

I can now understand why you do not wish to change your TV. This is so difficult to answer. Plus I am saddened by the response from the video clubs. Perhaps others here can add light on the idiosyncrasies of this Sony TV.

It would be so simple to put the files through a decent video editor, as others have suggested above, and clean up the audio, realign the audio to the video and render a usable file. I would have guessed that most Vid Club members would have an editing suite. Any chance of either joining your local club or "buttonholing" a friendly member?

I presume you have tested your camera and TV by plugging in the HDMI, switching on and getting a clear audio and video signal. Usually you will get feedback from the audio if the volume is not lowered.

I could argue that a decent PC and an editing suite would be the way to go forward. So, for example, if I was to tackle this problem, I would split the audio from the video and try to tidy it up either using the video editor options or by removing the audio completely and running it through an independent audio editor such as Audacity, then recombine and align to the video. I would put some sort of transition between each video shot (file) to give me room to stop the audio overlapping. I give this as an example of what can be done. In addition to correcting the video you could add music or a voiceover to your final compilation.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Without going round in circles....we don't know the TV model-No. as I think Bravia is a Sony branding -( it is possible that a 32" model has a different spec to later 42" models etc.). You could enter that in a Search Engine to see if others have similar experiences..... but (see below) you need to have the full tech-details in the first place, otherwise you will get ( at best) Opinions.

To some extent I'm not surprised you got zero Club-response - You need to make the effort to go there and join-in. - Movie-making Clubs are not a Technical-Resources business and many of their members are art-types who expect their kit to behave properly when connected. Most clubs have a defined Programme of activities; and sorting-out non-members tech-troubles has never been one of the evenings I've attended.

Why don't you go back to the Sony retailer? . . . as this is the centre of the problem . . . . indeed I'm surprised you didn't take some of yr media and insist it was played on their TV - thereby showing the problem, before purchase.

RTFM
Have a look at the Pana spec so you know what you are outputting.... then the Sony Tech-Spec . . . Does it actually state it will accept the Output from yr Pana? Indeed I'm forgetting if we've been told what it is you are outputting . . . possibly it is an older-format that your LG tv liked . . . but the newer Sony doesn't recognise entirely ( as there may be "Settings" to adjust, for so-called Legacy formats. ) . . . I cannot imagine it is anything else, than Tech mis-match. ( Mainly because you say the same video plays OK on the other TV ).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom