Panasonic hc-v750 - thoughts or reviews?

cambsno

Established Member
Reaction score
time to upgrade I feel. Panny hd5 (I think) is now about 7 years old and tech moves on. Thought about this model, good price and although has been superseded it is relatively new.

Use it for family stuff, dats out, sons football etc.

Search this forum, I did a review of the 750 some time last year.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-v750-and-v700-a-comparison.1869953/

In my opinion it is the best of the last HD only cameras. The "options" like slo-mo or time lapse work well. I got mine in March 2014 and have produced a number of videos on it. I set it to 1080/50p for most of my recording and render the finished video in AVCHD for replay on my Blu-Ray player.

Last edited:
Search this forum, I did a review of the 750 some time last year.
Panasonic V750 and V700 a comparison | AVForums

In my opinion it is the best of the last HD only cameras. The "options" like slo-mo or time lapse work well. I got mine in March 2014 and have produced a number of videos on it. I set it to 1080/50p for most of my recording and render the finished video in AVCHD for replay on my Blu-Ray player.

Thanks, got one!!
Main question, as could see nothing on this, I can set it to 1080/50i but whats the difference between PH, HA, HG and HE 1080? Did a google search and HA seemed to be the best IQ?

1080/50p is the best but in the 50i range PH is the best followed by HA, HG,and HE.

.... Panny hd5 (I think) is now about 7 years old and tech moves on...........

True -- Although you might be surprised at just how much you could get for a Panasonic HDC SD5 on Ebay these days...
These were early full 1920 x 1080 HD camcorders, and they used 3 x CCD sensors, which are no longer used. This makes them very popular for those shooting footage with lots of motion or vibration - like in car videos for example - because they don't have any 'rolling shutter' problems like all modern consumer camcorders can have. (There's loads online about rolling shutters ... THIS ARTICLE helps to explain the principle)

Although most 7 year old consumer camcorders have virtually no resale value, those full HD CCD sensor models can have a little....and every little helps! :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
As Terfyn says 1080/50p will be the best picture quality, especially for fast movement. However you may find that you have trouble finding a way to play this back as many media players can't handle it and even some Blu-ray players may not support it. So if thinking of using this setting I suggest you test it first to make sure you can watch the footage back. Otherwise it will be a lot more work in the editing to get it playable, but at least you would have the best available at a later date when you upgrade the playback equipment.

Mark.

1080/50p seems to work OK on Windows Movie Maker but I let the video editor sort the formats out. I put all my video through VideoStudio and then render to give me both SD for DVDs or AVC/H264 for loading to a SD card in AVCHD suitable for playing on my Blu-Ray player.
I can mix MP4 and 1080/50p on VS X8 without problem.

Surely for HD files folks are using Windows Live Movie Maker, Terfyn?
( Win 7, Free download from MS_)
Not that I know anyone that does ( even you). Those with deep pockets will use FCP and others take their choice, depending on what friends use ( so there is local Help available initially ).

I see the V750 is being replaced by the V770 - are there any major changes between them or is it a refresh?

I see the V750 is being replaced by the V770 - are there any major changes between them or is it a refresh?
Looks to be a refresh... slightly better stills resolution, and a micro instead of a mini HDMI... that seems to be about it.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/HDMI_Connector.jpg
a micro instead of a mini HDMI.

I find the HDMI mini connector (type C) on the V750 more mechanically reliable than the HDMI micro connector (Type D) that's on the Pentax K-3 when it comes to real-time monitoring.

HDMI_Connector.jpg

The other differences are mainly slight different ways of listing specs.

Compare Panasonic HC-V770 vs Panasonic HC-V750 vs Panasonic HC-W570 vs Panasonic HC-V550

Note: The USB & headphone socket are not missing from the V750.

The slight difference in stills resolution is a joke, as is the max. 24MP stills picture size for both cameras.

Another difference is that Digital Dolby 2.0 is offered on the V770, but I don't think it's on the V750. (edited: DD 5.1 & DD2.0 appears to be offered in AVCHD on both models.)

Dan.

Last edited:
That compare report is so full of holes that it is misleading. According to the spec on Panasonic UK the Digital Dolby on the 770 is 5.1 not 2.0.
AVCHD: Dolby Digital (5.1ch / 2ch)/iFrame, MP4: AAC (2ch)
Slo-Mo is shown as NOT available on the 750 - it is a feature of this camera.
The 770 has HDR and Wireless Camera added to what is from the spec a 750.

I think "rogs" summed it up perfectly.

This years release is all about 4K and the 970 & 870.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are TWO options on the 770/750 - 5.1 surround or 2ch stereo. The attributes applied to both these options are designated (Dolby 5.1/2ch) so no Dolby 2.0.

5.1 surround or 2ch stereo. The attributes applied to both these options are designated (Dolby 5.1/2ch) so no Dolby 2.0.

You'll find that both the 6-channel (5.1) & 2-channel (2.0) versions use the AC-3 codec, (use MediaInfo to compare the audio part of AVCHD .MTS files containing 5.1 & 2 audio channels), and both contain Dolby Digital audio streams aka ATSC A/52.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital#Dolby_Digital

Note that "Dolby Digital" refers to that fact it uses AC-3 format audio compression, not whether it contains a matrixed or discrete version of multi-channel audio streams.

Whereas the MP4 container format in this camera uses the AAC codec for the audio.

This link may be helpful:

AAC VS AC3: Detailed Comparison between AAC and AC3

Dan.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom