Panasonic HC-V720 crop factor

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Gert Hellevig, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Gert Hellevig

Gert Hellevig
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I just bought the Panasonic HC-V720 to support my multicam concert and event shooting. Now when learning to use it, I notice a strange thing: It should have a 1/2,33" type sensor. Those sensors have a crop factor of 5,2.
    However, the 2,8-59,2mm lens has its 35mm equivalence in 28-729,6mm (just as I wanted). But what I do not understand is that isn't the real crop factor about 12? So, then I start to wonder what is wrong? This is the first time I see this inequality. I have learned to trust in those crop factors and sensor sizes. Anyway I have some 10 cameras and more than 20 lenses - so something I have used to learn in this area. But now this is a mystery! And what might be the real size of the sensor (in mm) ? Somebody please advice :thumbsdow

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Hi, Welcome.
    Manufacturers are always trying to impress Buyers and yet the basic camcorder remains much the same, otherwise they'd claim it was a "New Model" and the price would reflect the eagerness of Buyers..._ I guess.
    Does this sensor/size really matter?
    -As long as the lens is matched to the chip it should be OK. If you can compare the viewing angle with someone else's camcorder at the Wide-setting.... they should be similar.
    I understood this newer camcorder does indeed have a larger chip - but chips aren't necessarily 16x9, so sometimes they will crop the sensor to give HD video frames, whereas the still-function uses (or can use) the whole sensor. Camcorders tend to have quite small sensors, since HD footage requires very little info and the way the compression works, it becomes even less.
    Is your camcorder working correctly, is the footage sharp? Colours good . . . then I'd be inclined to suggest you plan some shooting for the rare days of sunlight. Use the bad weather to learn how to set-up the camcorder and get used to the manual-exposure features, etc.
    Good luck.

3. Gert Hellevig

Gert Hellevig
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your comments.

Actually the camcorder works well. The field of view is what Panasonic says (from 28mm in full frame terms). And the picture quality is really good. But, for the sake of “science” :) , I just want to know what complicates the calculation of the crop-factor. As you wrote, the picture ratio 16x9 allow only 3,47mm of height (hence, not the 4,62mm that in 4x3 picture would be available). And then the factor changes….
    Have a nice day,
    Gert