Panasonic HC V700 Microphone Problems!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by TheGuv, Aug 23, 2013.

1. TheGuv

TheGuv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

First post!

I bought a Panasonic HC V700 a few months back purely for the availability of an external microphone input. This is because at the rugby club we used to record and commentate on our matches!

We tried this again and it does work, most of the time... However, we bought a microphone with a larger jack than the panasonic's 3.5mm input. So we bought a 3.5mm adapter to connect to the camera effectively.

If we ever record without the external microphone plugged in it seems more sound is picked up by the internal mic. You may as well just stand next to the camera and talk into it!

In addition to this if the external hand held mic is plugged in, no sound is picked up at all from the internal mic (is that normal for all cameras?).

Sometimes the microphone seems to be plugged in, but presumably the adapter to connect the larger jack into the smaller input has disconnected and no sound is picked up AT ALL from either the internal or external mic. Presumably, the camera thinks the external mic is connected but because it isn't no sound is then picked up. It is very annoying!

So my questions are:

- Can this camera have internal and external microphones on at the same time so all sound is picked up?

- Is there less sound picked up than an external mic should have because the microphone is connected via an adpter before going into the mic input? Therefore should we buy a microphone with a 3.5mm jack instead?

Sorry for all the ramblings - I'm a noob and I don't fully understand what I'm doing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. Chelters

Chelters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    All cams I've ever had (I don't own a v700) always break the connection to the internal mics as the external mic is plugged in, so the answer is no. If it worked the other way around a lot of people would be miffed, because they want an external mic to get closer to the thing they want to record but would still have all the extraneous noise.

The adapter will have no bearing (unless it's not a sound electrical connection) on the volume but I'd say for the sake of 'strain relief' and less chance of electrical connection failure that you do buy a mic with a 3.5mm jack. At the very least a suitable 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter cable.

3. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Can this camera have internal and external microphones on at the same time so all sound is picked up?

No

- Is there less sound picked up than an external mic should have because the microphone is connected via an adpter before going into the mic input? Therefore should we buy a microphone with a 3.5mm jack instead?
    What has probably happened is that the larger plug plus the adapter has strained the socket inside the camera and forced it out of line. I had a similar problem.

So NEVER use an adapter straight into the camera, the leverage is too great on the camera socket. Make up a lead with a 3.5mm stereo jack on one end and a 6.3mm stereo socket on the other.

4. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    No -- and as others have said, neither can most (if not all?) other models.
    That is the big limiting factor with external mic sockets.
    Much better idea (IMHO :) ) to use an external mic into a remote solid state audio recorder, which range in price from about £30 upwards.
    Then just use the camera audio (recorded by the internal camcorder mic) as ambient background audio - if appropriate - and also as a reference audio to 'sync' your remotely recorded audio in your editing software. Which is not as difficult as it may seem!
    A much more flexible approach.....

5. TheGuv

TheGuv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay guys thanks so far :smashin:

So at least I've established the answer to Question 1!

I'll give a bit more info on question 2 -

The current ext. microphone has a 1/4" jack that is placed into an 1/8" jack adapter that goes straight into the camera. Like you guys have said that must give it too much leverage and the regular possibility of the connection breaking.

I'd love to use your advice rogs but we play the recorded game in the clubhouse for all the members an hour after the match has finished so that would be a no go :(

So do you guys think the best idea would be to buy a new microphone with a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack to go straight into the external mic socket?

The reason we bought the other microphone was that we went to Maplins on the day of our 1st recorded game and all they had in stock was a 1/4" microphone - so being lazy we bought that as well as a 1/8" adapter so it would fit. Hopefully buying a better quality mic with the correct jack will work. Do you guys agree?

:)

6. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    The safer way to use microphones fitted with 1/4" jack plugs is to use an adpator cable like this one : 0.3m - 3.5mm Plug to 6.35mm Socket Headphone Extension Cable/Lead 1/4" | ThatCable.com

Achieves what you need without putting an additional strain onto the camcorder mic socket (providing you secure the cable to ensure that can't happen!)

If the microphone is wired with a mono jack pug, expect the recording to be made to one audio channel only (probably the left)

7. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    If you are going for a new mic from Maplins, look at the Stereo condenser microphone (L92AA) or the Stereo tie clip microphone (L36AL), both these mics are made by Yoga who turn out good equipment. I know from experience that both these mics work OK. Obviously both have the stereo 3.5mm jack which will fit the v700 directly.( my camera as well!)
    For my condenser mic, I made a wind shield (deadcat) from aquarium foam and faux fur from a teddy bear.

8. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Those adaptors should be banned . . . modern circuits boards use almost all surface-mount components so the input jack is not as robust as in the past - provided the adaptor cable is tied round something solid, it should be a good solution - BUT the damage may be done already!

Is this ext mic a handheld mic as used in karaoke? These are robust and shouldn't suffer handling noise.

Whilst this might seem excessive....how about a mini-mixer so the Match "ambient" is recorded to Left and your commentary(ies) to Right? Then you should get enough "background" to make some sense of the commentary.
    Such a "mixer" is nothing more than a box+jacks and a stereo 3.5mm output via a suitable lead. If you can get someone to make it for you, it would be useful to be able to monitor the inputs (via headphones) and possibly incorporate a level-meter so the commentaries are not excessively loud. The snag with most camcorders is the AGC which will respond to he inputs in a strange way. For that reason alone you might like to have level-controls on the inputs so the whole audio can be better balanced - but this will need headphones

I suspect what you need to do (to make this work properly) can't be done with the kit you have so-far.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  9. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I doubt it, when I had this problem, returning to the ordinary extension mic solved the problem.