Panasonic gz950 vs Sony a9g 24 fps motion

wickermania

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker/infrequent contributor here. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

I’m currently viewing a 65 inch Panasonic gz950 at around 8 feet but considering an upgrade to a 77 inch Sony a9g. I’d be viewing the Sony from perhaps another foot away - so around 9 feet. I should say right away that I’m extremely happy with the PQ on the Panasonic and would be switching purely on the basis of increased size/improved immersion.

My question is this: how does 24 FPS motion handling differ between these two sets? Currently, I watch 24 FPS material with minimal mitigation in place, tending to set the Panasonic’s de-judder slider to around 1/10 or 2/10. I find this helps significantly with stutter in all but the most egregious panning shots whilst introducing so little SOE as to be almost unnoticeable. Genuinely something of a “sweet spot” which, whilst not perfect, is extremely acceptable relative to my level of sensitivity.

I’m reading that the Sony, whilst dealing reasonably well with 24 FPS judder out of the box, tends to introduce visible SOE when even minimal motion mitigation is implemented.

My concern, then, is that the Sony may not allow me to find a setting that is roughly analogous to the “sweet spot“ I’ve found with the Panasonic, especially given the magnifying effects of the size increase.

If anyone has experience with both of these TV’s then I’d love to hear your views. Thanks again in advance.

Phil.

Last edited:

MultiRoom

Oddly I’ve just made the jump from a 65 inch FZ to a 77 inch AG9. At first I wasn’t happy with the motion, and like you I always chose a low setting on the Panny, normally 2. I feel like the motion improved once the pixels settled down. Now I love it as it doesn’t stutter like all Pannys seem to in 24 FPS to varying degrees.

I sit 9 feet away, I’m very pleased I made the switch.

Any other questions then please ask.

wickermania

Hello

and thanks very much for this. Did you find that you were able to engage any level of smoothing at all without SOE becoming intrusive? Or do you leave it off?

the A80j has come onto my radar in the last couple of days. Presumably the motion options there are comparable to the a9g, although I have heard/read that the mitigations on that TV are a little more granular, perhaps creating a bit more space for finding that subjective Goldilocks zone.

MultiRoom

I simply set it to 1 of 3 and it seems very similar to the option 2 on the Panasonic. It’s different, but I got used to it after a few hours. I can’t watch with it off, and option 1 doesn’t introduce SOE as far as I’m concerned.

wickermania

Thanks, that’s reassuring. It sounds as if your tolerance of SOE is approximately on a par with mine. Can I ask how you find the brightness levels, on average, relative to the Panasonic?

MultiRoom

You’re asking all the right questions. Brightness at default levels is actually a little dimmer, but the image is very natural with it, you can bump it up if you want but I find that counters the effectiveness of the interpolation. Not sure where you are but I’m in Oxfordshire, if you’re nearby you’re welcome to come and take a look if you like.

wickermania

Thanks very much - alas, I’m in Lancashire, however I do appreciate the offer.

The A80j is priced at £3120 at Costco until the 19th of September, compared to £2900 for the a9g. Fairly sure I’ll plump for one of these during the course of the next 2-3 weeks. Wondering whether they might reduce the a9g further so as to maintain a more significant price differential relative to the a80j.

MultiRoom

All I can say is I really like the AG9, sure the 80J is just as capable if not more so. Went with Sony for the motion and size, and although less options the motion is flawlessly consistent and never misses a beat on any content.

5to1

Also went from a 65FZ to a 77AG9 a few months ago after Costco wrote the Panny off.

Overall very happy with the move, predominantly due to the huge increase in FOV and hence immersion.

My OH hates the SOE so we always turn all the interpolation off, so can't really help in that respect. I'm not particularly afflicted with motion related issues, so probably not the best person to help here. But I would agree I havent seen any of the 24FPS stutter I occasionally saw on the Panny (I mostly just ignored it anyway).

WRT PQ there's no massive leap. In fact as I didn't change the seating position (Approx 2-4m away) the 77" AG9 appeared a bit softer initially with HD/SD. With 4K it looks better. But this is all size related.

I used my Panny in Pro modes and perhaps i'd become accustomed to them, but they looked better to me then the Sony's settings OTB. After some tinkering I'm pretty happy now though. I'd say the Sony err's a little more towards crushing detail near black, whereas the Panny showed a bit more noise near black. So neither were perfect if you're being super critical. But raising the luminance, or dropping it on the Panny could probably get you very close to the others default anyway.

Really I have no regrets. The huge increase in FOV is more then worth it when set against any minor differences there may be between the "sweet spot" I'd become used to with the Panny. And a few weeks in I dont remember any of those differences any longer, just enjoying the TV :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom