Panasonic GZ950 4K OLED Review & Comments

Hi again, can I ask, for along while I have noticed a slight off white tint to the left of centre that only is noticeable when I sit straight in front when the screen displays a pure white picture, should I be concerned I.e.request a replacement,
thanks in advance

If it's a slight cyan tint that appears only when viewing at an angle, it's probably normal. Just seems to part of the OLED technology and is easily ignored in normal viewing IMHO...

My gz950 arrived today. I'm very impressed with the picture quality. It says that it has dvb t2 which i need to find hd channels in Croatia but it's only showing dvb t and dvb s. Does anyone know what's up with that? I got all the channels from dvb t and they are in sd.

Also i noticed when i play mkv file with srt subtitles in the same folder it doesn't read subtitles. Anyone knows more about that and what subtitles format if any does it support?

If it's a slight cyan tint that appears only when viewing at an angle, it's probably normal. Just seems to part of the OLED technology and is easily ignored in normal viewing IMHO...
You could go into the white balance setting and try to clear it, might work.

finally there is an upgrade on tv 3.210 :)
you don't need update with usb
Feb. 4. 2020
Ver. 3.210

Updated to the latest firmware 3.209 on the GZ950 last night noticed a few positive changes, strangely all through the Nvidia Shield pro 2019
1: Starting YouTube app on shield does not pause the video before starting for a second anymore
2: When putting the Nvidia Shield into sleep mode the TV's Blue HDMI 1 logo in the top left no longer appears :)
If i see more i will post them here
I was very glad that the firmware update did not affect my picture Preset tweeks which surprised me .
Anyone noticed any other changes after this latest firmware update ?

Last edited:
Also i noticed when i play mkv file with srt subtitles in the same folder it doesn't read subtitles. Anyone knows more about that and what subtitles format if any does it support?

It'll only work if the .srt file is embedded in the mkv file, not within a folder. mkvtoolnix can help you there. I've played a few mkv files successfully with .srt embedded, including a 4k HDR Fury file with the German parts subtitled.

It'll only work if the .srt file is embedded in the mkv file, not within a folder. mkvtoolnix can help you there. I've played a few mkv files successfully with .srt embedded, including a 4k HDR Fury file with the German parts subtitled.
Thanks. Is that a long process using that program? Does it degrade a/v quality of the file and hdr metadata?

Thanks. Is that a long process using that program? Does it degrade a/v quality of the file and hdr metadata?

No. It's very quick and it doesn't recode the video! Just involves some drag n dropping of the video file and subtitle file and then click to produce a new file containing both of them. Bit of googling should help you out if you're struggling.

No. It's very quick and it doesn't recode the video! Just involves some drag n dropping of the video file and subtitle file and then click to produce a new file containing both of them. Bit of googling should help you out if you're struggling.
Thanks a lot!

finally there is an upgrade on tv 3.210 :)
you don't need update with usb
Feb. 4. 2020
Ver. 3.210
I upgraded via the network connection for the 3.210 firmware.
Just bought a Fire TV Stick 4K to stream h265 from a MyCloud NAS as my android TV box was struggling and only able to handle h264 media.
Really enjoying 4K media on the TV’s Netflix and Sky Q. Picard on Amazon prime looks good as well even without the 4K. Have noticed the blacks on The Outsider look a bit compressed on Sky Q.

My gz950 arrived today. I'm very impressed with the picture quality. It says that it has dvb t2 which i need to find hd channels in Croatia but it's only showing dvb t and dvb s. Does anyone know what's up with that? I got all the channels from dvb t and they are in sd.

Can anyone help with dvb t2 problem?

Do you have a 40 channel signal?
I have the same tv and my normal HD channels work in Croatia.

Can anyone help with dvb t2 problem?

Do you know that your aerial is aligned correctly ? Were you able to receive HD channels with a previous TV ?

Do you know that your aerial is aligned correctly ? Were you able to receive HD channels with a previous TV ?
I wasn't able to get hd channels with my previous tv cos he didn't have dvbt2 tuner, only dvbt. The thing is i don't even see option to scan dvbt2 channels on my gz950, it's like it doesn't have dvbt2 tuner.

I wasn't able to get hd channels with my previous tv cos he didn't have dvbt2 tuner, only dvbt. The thing is i don't even see option to scan dvbt2 channels on my gz950, it's like it doesn't have dvbt2 tuner.

I'm not sure what model you have in Croatia, but the GZ950B here in the UK has DVB-T/T2/S tuners and there is no option to select them individually when tuning so presumably the TV uses them all to obtain whatever channels the aerial is aligned to pick up, whether they are SD or HD.

There are a number of possible causes for missing channels - an incorrectly aligned aerial, the wrong type of aerial, signal too weak etc

Can you look up what UHF frequency the missing HD channels are transmitted on ? Tascam122 above suggested UHF40. With that information, you can check the signal strength/condition via the setup/tuning menu and do a manual search.

I would also check with neighbours if they are able to receive the missing channels.

I'm not sure what model you have in Croatia, but the GZ950B here in the UK has DVB-T/T2/S tuners and there is no option to select them individually when tuning so presumably the TV uses them all to obtain whatever channels the aerial is aligned to pick up, whether they are SD or HD.

There are a number of possible causes for missing channels - an incorrectly aligned aerial, the wrong type of aerial, signal too weak etc

Can you look up what UHF frequency the missing HD channels are transmitted on ? Tascam122 above suggested UHF40. With that information, you can check the signal strength/condition via the setup/tuning menu and do a manual search.

I would also check with neighbours if they are able to receive the missing channels.
I thought there is an option to choose what tuner you want scanned. I guess then a signal from my room antenna is too weak and actually that's not really important to me cos i rarely watch tv channels. I'll use tv for watching hd and uhd movies anyway. Thanks for your reply.

Hi All. i have this amazing tv. Also i have a small issue with it. I have samsung soundbar connected via digital audio and i noticed that when tv is on standby mode i hear the same "click" sound when tv is turning on and my soundbar switches on - without any switching on my telly. Could you please advise on that? Any help is much appreciated

I have samsung soundbar connected via digital audio and i noticed that when tv is on standby mode i hear the same "click" sound when tv is turning on and my soundbar switches on - without any switching on my telly. Could you please advise on that?

My Yamaha AV receiver also makes a soft click when the TV is switched on or off via ARC / Viera Link and it's never concerned me. Not sure this would be an issue ?

Before buying GZ950 i had panasonic lcd with the same soundbar. soundbar never switched on while tv was on stanby mode. That is the reason of my question. Gz950 gives the click and while still on standby mode the soundbar switches on. strange

Before buying GZ950 i had panasonic lcd with the same soundbar. soundbar never switched on while tv was on stanby mode. That is the reason of my question. Gz950 gives the click and while still on standby mode the soundbar switches on. strange

Ah, I understand the problem now. Is the TV doing a USB recording at the time ?

My amp doesn't do this so I wonder if this is due to your TV or soundbar settings ? Check your Viera Link settings on the TV and whether there are any HDMI-CEC-related settings on the soundbar.

Anybody use a Sonos playbar with 55GZ950?
If so if the playbar sits in front of the TV does the height of it cover up any of the bottom part of the screen?

Anybody use a Sonos playbar with 55GZ950?
If so if the playbar sits in front of the TV does the height of it cover up any of the bottom part of the screen?

I don’t but I have a Panasonic soundbar (sc-htb900) which is a similar layout and whilst it doesn’t cover any of the actual screen of the gz950, it does cover the IR sensor, so I need to use the IR repeater. If you can compare the height of the 2 bars online it might indicate if you’d have a problem. My guess is that it would be tight...

what is a IR repeater?
I have my playbar in front of my current Panasonic plasma and have to leave a gap of about 5mm between the twos, the Panasonic remote then works fine

An IR repeater is a small device provided in some devices, like my soundbar, which allows a remote to work when the device blocks the remote sensor on the TV etc. If the remote sensor on the gz950 is blocked then the remote may not work, or maybe the playbar has one built in?

We have an old Matsui VCR and was wondering if there is anyway we can get it to play back some ancient videos on the GZ950?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom