Panasonic GZ950 4K OLED Review & Comments

I bought the Panasonic..stunning, sound isn't too good but I have a Bose set and sub so not a problem.

LG E9 everyday as it's just better all rounder than the other 2 plus has the best calibrated HDR viewing.
Less HDR formats, and the Iq is better on the panny

Thanks for the feedback Mr Mer, I was getting worried that I was the only one seeing regular banding/posterisation on my GZ950 Oled, I see this effect every day on my my sky HD box and is much more noticeable than on my 10 year old pioneer plasma that is still working fine on the wall in my bedroom. I am surprised that this issue is not mentioned on the forum, oled should not be just for watching high quality 4K images, it should be able to deal with a wide variety of programming without showing banding/posterisation on normal HD programs.
Never seen any on my 950

i'm thinking of buying gz950 or philips oled754. i have a few questions about gz950

1. does it support hdr10+ and dolby vision and atmos when movies are played from usb stick or external hdd connected to usb port?

2. if i buy dolby atmos soundbar will i get a full quality from 4k blu ray discs (lossless) since gz950 doesn't have eARC? what about if my 4k blu ray player and soundbar both have eARC?

3. i also plan to buy a soundbar that supports dts x but will that work at all since gz950 doesn't have dts decoding? or does maybe soundbar do dts decoding?

4. on display notifications when i compared 55 inch oled754 and 55'' gz950 it says that panasonic is 10 cm wider, how is that possible? doesn't make any sense to me.
look under dimensions, weight and color

i'm thinking of buying gz950 or philips oled754. i have a few questions about gz950

1. does it support hdr10+ and dolby vision and atmos when movies are played from usb stick or external hdd connected to usb port?

2. if i buy dolby atmos soundbar will i get a full quality from 4k blu ray discs (lossless) since gz950 doesn't have eARC? what about if my 4k blu ray player and soundbar both have eARC?

3. i also plan to buy a soundbar that supports dts x but will that work at all since gz950 doesn't have dts decoding? or does maybe soundbar do dts decoding?

4. on display notifications when i compared 55 inch oled754 and 55'' gz950 it says that panasonic is 10 cm wider, how is that possible? doesn't make any sense to me.

don’t know the answer to 1.
for 2 and 3, it depends on what player you have. I have a ub820 player which has 2 hdmi outputs. So I connect the audio out from the player to the soundbar and the other to the tv. So that’s gives full atmos Etc. from the player. I get lossy atmos etc. from the tv, e.g. Netflix app.
4. I don’t know how the Panasonic could be 10cm wider as it’s just screen and tiny bezel on the sides...

4. Taking the dimensions quoted on the site and performing a simple geometric calculation results in the diagonal measurements (including bezel but without the stand) being 142cm / 55.9in for the Panasonic and 133.03cm / 52.37in for the Philips - possibly Philips are a bit relaxed about the definition of a 55inch screen (although there are probably permissible variations allowed ;)).

Screen size is the same, the is also measurements of screen size on that link. How is panasonic 10 cm wider is beyond me. Anyone knows answer to my 3rd question?

thanks. i thought that it must have been a mistake on displayspecifications.
Yeah for the 754 they have the screen to body ratio as 103.45%...

Iv had my GZ950 a week now.. Pretty much as nailed everything I wanted it to be .Turn the lights off and this Tv becomes insane.

My panel also looks to my eyes perfect with no banding or Tints. Gaming in the dark is amazing.,

Compared to my Q9fn it can’t compete in the day, the hdr on that tv is truly stunning in a bright room. But at night with lights off ..Just wow.. No clouding or blooming, just perfect blacks contrast which makes HDR shine.

Overall I’m buzzing that I finally it seems won the panel lottery lol. What a tv for the price you pay..

Hi,
My first post here. Just sharing my findings, maybe will help other people.

My setup includes: pc, avr and GZ950.
1. For some reason after latest update, wireless gave me lots of headaches with both Netflix and Amazon Prime (apps on TV) not connecting. At last Netflix connected and everything went smoothly from there. Amazon Prime had to be reinstalled to work.
So problems with Amazon, just reinstall.
2. HDR from PC at 60Hz. Until I set "4k Pure Direct" I could only start movies with HDR by switching in 24FPS mode. To set "4k Pure Direct" the HDMI port must be in "Mode2". For some reason in AVR (yamaha) I had to set hdmi port in "Mode1" (it's also specified in the manual)
At 60Hz in nvidia driver panel will appear 8 bit/RGB/Full. I don't know if this impacts in some way the colour quality displayed on gz950, but HDR works.
3. If a HDR movie looks dull, no brightness then: the source material sucks or HDR is not enabled (missing drivers on PC, etc.)
4. Played some coop games at 60Hz, no problems. But I'm not a FPS gamer.
5. Some banding, no tinting. The screen reflects light pretty bad during day. Try to have no source of light behind you. At night totally different story.

Anyone else notice their TV click after being on for 15min?

its like the plastic gives a large creak due to it warming up

Anyone else notice their TV click after being on for 15min?

its like the plastic gives a large creak due to it warming up
Not sure of timing but I do sometimes hear a click sound, not sure if it is GZ or AVR.

Strange, just one of these things I suppose

Maybe its due to having the TV on the wall and the plastic warming up quicker

no idea haha

Last edited:
Just watching the Man City game.. lovely clean screen,.

Think I'm going to wrap this tv in cotton wool....

Out of interest we got it from Argos lol. Best panel Iv owned.

Iv had my GZ950 a week now.. Pretty much as nailed everything I wanted it to be .Turn the lights off and this Tv becomes insane.

My panel also looks to my eyes perfect with no banding or Tints. Gaming in the dark is amazing.,

Compared to my Q9fn it can’t compete in the day, the hdr on that tv is truly stunning in a bright room. But at night with lights off ..Just wow.. No clouding or blooming, just perfect blacks contrast which makes HDR shine.

Overall I’m buzzing that I finally it seems won the panel lottery lol. What a tv for the price you pay..
Day 3 with my GZ950 and I share similar thoughts on the PQ. Also panel seems great, though not tested with any slides yet.

I recall in other posts you were looking for a soundbar. Any luck? Something on my to-do list.

Day 3 with my GZ950 and I share similar thoughts on the PQ. Also panel seems great, though not tested with any slides yet.

I recall in other posts you were looking for a soundbar. Any luck? Something on my to-do list.

Don’t go looking for faults mate just enjoy your tv 👍.
No luck with sound bar yet, to be honest the sound from the tv sounds ok to me lol.

LG upscaling can't compete with Panasonic so good luck with watching stuff on netflix or 1080p blurays but Sony still beats them all in upscaling and image detail/sharpness.

I have to disagree as I watch Netflix all the time ad it's fantastic on my E9 , I got a FZ802 from Richer Sounds and returned it 2 weeks later as the stutter was driving me mad and swapped it for a E8 which for me was much better , if you watch both side by side on hd you can't notice anything in them as they are borh sometimes good and sometimes bad but all IMO.

I have to disagree as I watch Netflix all the time ad it's fantastic on my E9 , I got a FZ802 from Richer Sounds and returned it 2 weeks later as the stutter was driving me mad and swapped it for a E8 which for me was much better , if you watch both side by side on hd you can't notice anything in them as they are borh sometimes good and sometimes bad but all IMO.

agree... for some content Sony did look marginally better to me, then the panny and LG for me were too similar to be able to differentiate.
anything is 1080p and up on both look superb to my eyes as long as the original content is decent...

Looking at both the C9 and GZ950 I far preferred the screen uniformity, picture quality and HDR on the C9, this was coming from the E6. This was from actual usage not reviews or competitions. As for HDMI 2.1 seeing that even the new consoles due out in November 2020 are only aiming at 4k at 60fps and even that isn't with ultra settings enabled I'm not worried about the Panasonic only having 2.0b.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom