Panasonic GZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Updated: Do you hear speaker crackling when watching the GZ2000

• I still have crackling even after the latest version of the firmware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing would surprise me these days. That is one hell of way to sort the sound issue out.

Hope the fix to my GZ2000 Kellogg's edition will arrive soon. RS have been great but they do not have endless patience.
Same for me with my GZ950. RS in Cardiff have been great as well. I really don't want to lose this tv as the picture quality is excellent but I've had it for over six weeks now waiting for this supposed firmware fix. If it doesn't happen soon then reluctantly it will have to go back.

Just this minute finished watching Gladiator 4k UHD on my GZ2000 and from the very start to the end them crackles just kept on coming, a shame, totally ruined the movie for me and the wife.

To be honest was'nt that much impressed with picture quality of the movie either, way too grainy for me and not that much of an improvement on my blu-ray copy if any improvement at all!

I might have just bought a dodgy £18 copy, arrived from amazon today and on the whole very disappointed, all my other discs have looked a treat on this tv.

Dave

That's how it was shot and remastered. In fact there is a little bit of grain reduction, minor compression issues and a wee bit of EE but overall it's a soft looking movie with some scenes offering excellent sharpness.

Nothing to rave about the sound either which is quite light on the LFE side.

Bear in mind there was no source or quote but someone mentioned on AVS GZ2000 thread they had seen a video stating Pana would have a new line out in Feb and maybe the 2000 panel without the Technics tuned speakers.

We love abit of gossip and speculation though right !!
If true that would be fantastic news. :thumbsup:

I'll be the first new owner hopefully...:laugh::love:

The worrying thing for me is that last night was the first time that I have ever noticed crackling whilst playing a 4K UHD disc, the only crackling I have ever noticed before was on Sky with my Sky Q box which has been kind of rectified by changing the Digital Audio Output HDMI setting to NORMAL.

Its as though the crackling problem is somehow now spreading within the TVs speaker system.

Dave

Bear in mind there was no source or quote but someone mentioned on AVS GZ2000 thread they had seen a video stating Pana would have a new line out in Feb and maybe the 2000 panel without the Technics tuned speakers.

Someone claims to have seen a video without stating where and no one else has seen it?
Well that secures my pre-order:rolleyes:

For those looking for some more visual HDR delights, I definitely recommend Spider-Man: Far From Home. It was mastered by Sony to up to 10.000 nits and most of the scenes simply pop your eyeballs out, they simply look stunning! It does help that it also has very sharp details.

I also watched Mortal Engines lately and saw in it some scenes that also popped. It's actually quite a good movie, though I initially had doubts at the beginning... but very good acting.
What I did see in this movie and wasn't happy is clipping... There are some scenes which show certain characters flying above the clouds with the sun in sight, and the big ball of fire wasn't visible on screen. Just a big bright area on the screen depicting that the sun is there... but you couldn't actually see the sun.
How do I know that it's clipped and not mastered that way? Because I watched the same scenes on my PC by configuring the video renderer (madVR) to tonemap those scenes and it clearly highlighted the sun. So the details are there but the TV is clipping them. I wonder if this could be corrected by a calibration...

I've got around 115 hours on my set. Technically, I could get it calibrated.
Samv0808, how many hours did yours have when you got it calibrated?

I do find it very very strange indeed that there has not been a full in-depth review yet on this site, on What Hi-Fi or any other major website for that matter regarding the sound performance of the Panasonic GZ2000 I am not counting the blind test results in this.

Are Panasonic putting pressure on organisations to not release reviews yet because of the fear of all the negative reviews regarding these TVs which is certain to come their way?

I think the silence has been absolutely deafening from Panasonic and other organisations concerning these TVs!

Do the right thing and get the reviews up online for people to see.

Dave

Last edited:
For those looking for some more visual HDR delights, I definitely recommend Spider-Man: Far From Home. It was mastered by Sony to up to 10.000 nits and most of the scenes simply pop your eyeballs out, they simply look stunning! It does help that it also has very sharp details.

I also watched Mortal Engines lately and saw in it some scenes that also popped. It's actually quite a good movie, though I initially had doubts at the beginning... but very good acting.
What I did see in this movie and wasn't happy is clipping... There are some scenes which show certain characters flying above the clouds with the sun in sight, and the big ball of fire wasn't visible on screen. Just a big bright area on the screen depicting that the sun is there... but you couldn't actually see the sun.
How do I know that it's clipped and not mastered that way? Because I watched the same scenes on my PC by configuring the video renderer (madVR) to tonemap those scenes and it clearly highlighted the sun. So the details are there but the TV is clipping them. I wonder if this could be corrected by a calibration...

I've got around 115 hours on my set. Technically, I could get it calibrated.
Samv0808, how many hours did yours have when you got it calibrated?
Approx 500

I do find it very very strange indeed that there has not been a full in-depth review yet on this site, on What Hi-Fi or any other major website for that matter regarding the performance of the Panasonic GZ2000 I am not counting the blind test results in this.

Are Panasonic putting pressure on organisations to not release reviews yet because of the fear of all the negative reviews regarding these TVs which is certain to come their way?

I think the silence has been absolutely deafening from Panasonic and other organisations concerning these TVs!

Dave
HDTV Test & Flat Panels have done in depth reviews

I do find it very very strange indeed that there has not been a full in-depth review yet on this site, on What Hi-Fi or any other major website for that matter regarding the performance of the Panasonic GZ2000 I am not counting the blind test results in this.

Dave
Hold your horses, I never said this TV is bad.
I honestly believe it has the least flaws compared to all other available brands.
And I know the crackle is driving you guys nuts but that's because you paid a ridiculous amount of money for this TV, as have I.
Your frustration is understandable but I personally don't see this as being a major flaw, at least not one that would put me off from buying it again.
I'm more disappointed by the lack of applications like HBO GO and AirPlay, or the lack of support for external subtitles.

Approx 500
Ah ok, so much more than me :)
You really do watch a lot of TV! :D
Then again, I've been on a 2 week vacation and then traveled with work so haven't really been around to watch it.

Hold your horses, I never said this TV is bad.
I honestly believe it has the least flaws compared to all other available brands.
And I know the crackle is driving you guys nuts but that's because you paid a ridiculous amount of money for this TV, as have I.
Your frustration is understandable but I personally don't see this as being a major flaw, at least not one that would put me off from buying it again.
I'm more disappointed by the lack of applications like HBO GO and AirPlay, or the lack of support for external subtitles.

Ah ok, so much more than me :)
You really do watch a lot of TV! :D
Then again, I've been on a 2 week vacation and then traveled with work so haven't really been around to watch it.
If I was working from home (3 days a week) I have it on in the background clocking up hours!! That helped a lot.
I’d get a few more in there if I was you.

Bizkitboy You've lost me here mate, what are you on about? Hold your horses, I never said that you said this Tv is bad.

Hold my horses for what?

Dave

I can think of 4100 reasons why its driving me nuts!

Dave

On the Usa forum Sam i presume ? i just looked but couldn't find the post.....is the jist theres going to be a replacement range of Oleds ie without cracklegate for immediate release in February ?

Bizkitboy You've lost me here mate, what are you on about? Hold your horses, I never said that you said this Tv is bad.

Hold my horses for what?

Dave
Whops, misread your post.
Read it again and saw you mention sound performance. I thought you were referring to overall performance and that you were saying the TV has so many negative reviews because of what I mentioned about clipping and everybody else's complaints on crackling.
Disregard my reply :)

HDTV Test & Flat Panels have done in depth reviews

All right SAM, but apart from HDTV Test, Flat Panels, the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have Panasonic ever done for us?;)

Dave

On the Usa forum Sam i presume ? i just looked but couldn't find the post.....is the jist theres going to be a replacement range of Oleds ie without cracklegate for immediate release in February ?
Yes it was in the US forum. I think the actual post itself has been deleted but saw it quoted in another (see pic). There is not much info at all but I think more in relation to cost than cracklegate as a I see some posts have been removed for mentioning prices not so far up the thread.

Attachments

• 41D96410-6A66-4F06-A918-F9FDB663CE60.png
    41D96410-6A66-4F06-A918-F9FDB663CE60.png
    544.5 KB · Views: 110
Whops, misread your post.
Read it again and saw you mention sound performance. I thought you were referring to overall performance and that you were saying the TV has so many negative reviews because of what I mentioned about clipping and everybody else's complaints on crackling.
Disregard my reply :)

NO problems mate

Dave

All right SAM, but apart from HDTV Test, Flat Panels, the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have Panasonic ever done for us?;)

Dave
Made the pinnacle of OLED picture quality in 2019 and reference award winning TV of 2019?

that happens to crackle like a ......

And yes before a hovering LG owner mentions it the C9 won the blind shootout....blah blah

Can’t seem to add smiley faces for some reason it’s greyed out!! :) :)

Edit:Oh yes I can now

And yes before a hovering LG owner mentions it the C9 won the blind shootout....blah blah
Damn that posterisation around bright round objects :D

Which I barely saw about 3 times in the tens of movies & TV shows I watched!

We love you LG we do we love you LG we do oh LG we love you :hiya:

Let's not forget guys that without LG we'd all be watching LEDs. It's only because LG persevered with OLED when all the others gave it up as too difficult that the GZ2000, AG9, 934 et al exist at all.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom