Panasonic GZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Updated: Do you hear speaker crackling when watching the GZ2000

• I still have crackling even after the latest version of the firmware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you guys have the Auto contrast control setting on the Panny OLEDS? If so do you use it? On the GX800 it seems to work well. Better than other similar settings on my past TVs. It subtly makes the picture even more enjoyable somehow.

Yes it is under the advanced settings on the GZ950 that i have so will be on the GZ2000 as well.
I always have all enhancements turned off and using pro 1/2 picture modes but have been experimenting with the Auto contrast control only for the SKY Q 2TB input where i can't seem to get the picture quite right eg too bright or to dim at times, washed out or colours not right.

The Auto contrast control seems to give a more stable/watchable picture across programmes and adverts but only tested for a few hours yesterday will do some more testing before drawing a final conclusion.

Yes it is under the advanced settings on the GZ950 that i have so will be on the GZ2000 as well.
I always have all enhancements turned off and using pro 1/2 picture modes but have been experimenting with the Auto contrast control only for the SKY Q 2TB input where i can't seem to get the picture quite right eg too bright or to dim at times, washed out or colours not right.

The Auto contrast control seems to give a more stable/watchable picture across programmes and adverts but only tested for a few hours yesterday will do some more testing before drawing a final conclusion.
Interesting, yeah I have it on auto for virgin media cable box only. I have it turned off for amazon prime dolby vision and hdr etc And when using a uhd player. Stable/watchable/even more enjoyable is exactly what it seems to do for cable TV as well. Maybe it helps with the highly compressed pictures of digital broadcast TV and brings back some of the picture that is lost through compression.

If that is the case can you watch 4k Netflix ect on a external device, and if so can you still use this new calibrated mode if it was done this way?
Thanks
Nope internal app only. But by most accounts it’s not much to shout about anyway. I found it a bit dark.

I am considering buying a seperate Dolby Atmos 5.1 or 7.1 system for the TV. Any recommendations for a modest budget. Only have a smallish lounge.

After 3 months of use here is my quick pros and cons GZ2000 (Calibrated):

Pros:
- Excellent Screen Uniformity
- Sublime picture, HDR picture the best I've seen!
- Colour Accuracy
- Near black performance probably the best yet in OLED
- Very good processing 2nd only to Sony
- My Home Screen 4.0 simple, clean and zippy OS
- Good sound with added Sub-Woofer
- No crackling lucky me!:)

Con:
- Occasional micro stutter on 24 fps
- The design could be better, especially the back
- Some Rear-facing HDMI
- Occasional Banding in highlights (HDR)
- Internal Rakuten app is not HDR (Apparently this is the case with all GZ series, Rakuten currently investigating this maybe Pana could fix this with a firmware update)

Overall I'm very pleased with the set! :thumbsup:

Are you able to see microstutter even in sdr?

Sorry I'm particolar sensible to this, It Is likes last year with the fz series where the stutter happens most of the time in the actors heads during slow scenes or mostly during panning shots?

It would be useful if there where some old owners of an a fz that can do a comparison about this

Thx

I bought an FZ802 last year and returned it 10 days later as the micro stutter was driving me mad and got a E8 instead which was much better , not sure about this year's but if the GZ2000 has it I'm definetly pleased I went for the E9 this year.

Are you able to see microstutter even in sdr?

Sorry I'm particolar sensible to this, It Is likes last year with the fz series where the stutter happens most of the time in the actors heads during slow scenes or mostly during panning shots?

It would be useful if there where some old owners of an a fz that can do a comparison about this

Thx

Haven't noticed it yet on SDR, tbh the micro stutter is rare on this set, overall it doesn't bother your viewing experience.

Funny RS are selling my old GZ2000 in store as a clearance
Not a lot off it tho ...

Edited wrong link*

Last edited:
Tumbleweed.gif

Not much happening here.

With luck everybody is enjoying their TV;)

Absolutely.. well I am.

Watched a film called In the Tall grass today on Netflix. Looked fantastic in DV. Not a bad film at all either really. The tall grass looked nice and green. And the shadow detail thrown out in the fields at night was amazing.

Have the second half of the shining to watch tonight. He’s just started to lose it!!!

Another movie on Netflix that looked good recently was in the shadow of the moon. Went downhill abit at the end story wise but looked great.

Absolutely.. well I am.

Watched a film called In the Tall grass today on Netflix. Looked fantastic in DV. Not a bad film at all either really. The tall grass looked nice and green. And the shadow detail thrown out in the fields at night was amazing.

Have the second half of the shining to watch tonight. He’s just started to lose it!!!

Another movie on Netflix that looked good recently was in the shadow of the moon. Went downhill abit at the end story wise but looked great.

Tall grass must have looked amazing as I watched the first few minutes of it yesterday to see what it was like. It looked superb on my 950.
Are you still wowed, after the calibration?

After 3 months of use here is my quick pros and cons GZ2000 (Calibrated):

Pros:
- Excellent Screen Uniformity
- Sublime picture, HDR picture the best I've seen!
- Colour Accuracy
- Near black performance probably the best yet in OLED
- Very good processing 2nd only to Sony
- My Home Screen 4.0 simple, clean and zippy OS
- Good sound with added Sub-Woofer
- No crackling lucky me!:)

Con:
- Occasional micro stutter on 24 fps
- The design could be better, especially the back
- Some Rear-facing HDMI
- Occasional Banding in highlights (HDR)
- Internal Rakuten app is not HDR (Apparently this is the case with all GZ series, Rakuten currently investigating this maybe Pana could fix this with a firmware update)

Overall I'm very pleased with the set! :thumbsup:
That's a pretty accurate summary imo,from having the Gz2000 and Af9 side by side for a week. Think I only noticed 24hz stutter once but it was very fleeting and just about noticeable. You would need to be very sensitive to it to find it bothersome. Wasn't that much difference between IFC and Motionflow,both are very good with the odd artifacts here or there once in a while. The sony imo slightly ahead on that. But both superior to LG Trumotion which always showed artifacts more frequently.

The Sony does have better processing for poorer content, found far more posterization on the Gz2000 vs the Sony.

But you don't really buy a Gz2000 or Af9 for that matter to watch poorer content, well I don't, I just watched poorer content just to compare on torture tests to see how both performed.

But while the Gz2000 did do worse on some content it did better on some others,where my Af9 showed some flashing,while the Gz2000 didn't and showed more detail. So swings and roundabouts really.

Silly place to put the ports as if you need to wall mount it and use all the inputs it would be difficult.

Colour accuracy has always been superb on Panasonic sets,best in the business imo.

The Gz2000 is certainly the most consistently uniform set that's ever been released for a consumer, set and the uniformity on my one was the best I had.

Regret returning it in some ways, as the uniformity was the kind I've been hunting for years when buying a Oled.

Will probably buy it again once the new firmware gets released and the sound gets sorted out. But will wait for a decent price drop before I buy,as it's been out for a few months now,so it's due a decent cut.

I'm not so sure. For example Trusted reviews had the Philips 903 of last year hitting 900 nits. John Archer was the reviewer he has a decent rep.

Also regarding 2019 Philips we won't know what they hit until we see some measurements for those.
They are not 900 nits.

They are not 900 nits.
Not in any circumstances? The review I was quoting seemed to be saying 900 was the highest it could reach. I recall Philips claiming 900 as well.

Mind you manufacturers tend to falsely claim higher numbers.

Not in any circumstances? The review I was quoting seemed to be saying 900 was the highest it could reach. I recall Philips claiming 900 as well.

Mind you manufacturers tend to falsely claim higher numbers.
Will vary from panel to panel, even in the same manufacturer's line-up. But in the accurate picture modes, I haven't had an OLED reach 900 nits, not even the GZ2000. But remember peak brightness measurements from windows is not accurate or representative of actual HDR performance.

Will vary from panel to panel, even in the same manufacturer's line-up. But in the accurate picture modes, I haven't had an OLED reach 900 nits, not even the GZ2000. But remember peak brightness measurements from windows is not accurate or representative of actual HDR performance.
Looking forward to your review of the GZ2000 Phil. ;)

Bear in mind there was no source or quote but someone mentioned on AVS GZ2000 thread they had seen a video stating Pana would have a new line out in Feb and maybe the 2000 panel without the Technics tuned speakers.

We love abit of gossip and speculation though right !!

Bear in mind there was no source or quote but someone mentioned on AVS GZ2000 thread they had seen a video stating Pana would have a new line out in Feb and maybe the 2000 panel without the Technics tuned speakers.

We love abit of gossip and speculation though right !!
Nothing would surprise me these days. That is one hell of way to sort the sound issue out.

Hope the fix to my GZ2000 Kellogg's edition will arrive soon. RS have been great but they do not have endless patience.

Just this minute finished watching Gladiator 4k UHD on my GZ2000 and from the very start to the end them crackles just kept on coming, a shame, totally ruined the movie for me and the wife.

To be honest was'nt that much impressed with picture quality of the movie either, way too grainy for me and not that much of an improvement on my blu-ray copy if any improvement at all!

I might have just bought a dodgy £18 copy, arrived from amazon today and on the whole very disappointed, all my other discs have looked a treat on this tv.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom