Panasonic GZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Updated: Do you hear speaker crackling when watching the GZ2000

• I still have crackling even after the latest version of the firmware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its hard to say really. I am really happy with the sound (when its not doing its major crackling..) I really don't hear any ongoing crackle around human voices. Have you messed around with any major settings in the sound that could be leading to distortion?

From they way you describe it though and your feelings I would send it back and see if a change would help. That sense of what if will only get bigger and bigger....
Yeah it litterly gets stucked between my ears. Thanks for your opinion and advice...

Finally, we have a review sample here and a Sony BVM-X300 so we can fully test the claims of 'what the director intended' and 'Hollywood to your Home'. I also have an LG C9, Philips 854 and Samsung Q90R to have fun comparing them all over the weekend. Sometimes I like my job. ;)
What would be really nice to see is a face off versus it’s own sister 950.

Finally, we have a review sample here and a Sony BVM-X300 so we can fully test the claims of 'what the director intended' and 'Hollywood to your Home'. I also have an LG C9, Philips 854 and Samsung Q90R to have fun comparing them all over the weekend. Sometimes I like my job. ;) View attachment 1196747
View attachment 1196750
Please check for black/shadow details and how it handles against the reference monitor in pro2 mode with ITU gama as that 's supposed to align to standards.
Last year's models crush blacks even with gama 2.2.
Thank you

I think I've asked this question before with no reply. Has anyone used the Rakuten TV app either to rent a 4K movie or has one in their library that plays back in 4K HDR. I signed up for a free rental and it didn't playback in HDR even though it said it is. I also have some in my library that fail HDR. I've reported it to Panasonic but not holding out for a fix as there is a more important one to be sorted first.

I think I've asked this question before with no reply. Has anyone used the Rakuten TV app either to rent a 4K movie or has one in their library that plays back in 4K HDR. I signed up for a free rental and it didn't playback in HDR even though it said it is. I also have some in my library that fail HDR. I've reported it to Panasonic but not holding out for a fix as there is a more important one to be sorted first.
I did reply. I have a couple of movies in HDR and they don’t play back in HDR in the app

Ooops :confused:
Still getting used to the new forum. Ignore.

Ermmmmmm. GZ is even making strictly look and sound great. Come on Anton!!!!

But yeah kill me now
I think even the mighty GZ can make BOJO THE CLOWN look good...:eek::laugh:

Please put me right if I've got any of this wrong.

GZ series are ARC (not eARC). So in the case of the 2000, Atmos would only play on the internal speakers from the in built apps (eg Netflix or Amazon or Rakuten), or from external devices eg blu ray players or Sky Q? And atmos would not be available at all from the ATV 4k which needs eARC.

If I'm right, given I rely heavily on the ATV, I would be better off with a 950/1000 + a soundbar?

eArc is required to pass 'full-fat' Atmos that uses a TrueHD core. However, Atmos that uses Dolby Digital Plus as its core and is a compressed version of Atmos can be sent over standard ARC. SkyQ and Netflix use the DD+ version.

I got a GZ2000 a few weeks ago and am able to pass DD+ Atmos over ARC through to my AV amplifier from Netflix running on the GZ2000. It even shows up as 'Atmos' on the AV display. :)

Just one caveat, my AV Amplifier does have eARC, however, plenty of Atmos AVRs with ARC should work fine (although there are exceptions). There is a very long post on AVSForums about it, search for 'dd+ atmos over arc'.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your question, hope this helps.

David

eArc is required to pass 'full-fat' Atmos that uses a TrueHD core. However, Atmos that uses Dolby Digital Plus as its core and is a compressed version of Atmos can be sent over standard ARC. SkyQ and Netflix use the DD+ version.

I got a GZ2000 a few weeks ago and am able to pass DD+ Atmos over ARC through to my AV amplifier from Netflix running on the GZ2000. It even shows up as 'Atmos' on the AV display. :)

Just one caveat, my AV Amplifier does have eARC, however, plenty of Atmos AVRs with ARC should work fine (although there are exceptions). There is a very long post on AVSForums about it, search for 'dd+ atmos over arc'.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your question, hope this helps.

David
I read the question as asking whether the TV speakers can output Atmos from external devices, not whether the TV can output the sound to external devices, but I could be wrong.

If that was the case, the answer is that ARC/eARC is only needed for the "Return" audio to an external device (soundbar/AVR), I believe the input audio to the TV can even be TrueHD Atmos and still be output on the TV speakers correctly.

I read the question as asking whether the TV speakers can output Atmos from external devices, not whether the TV can output the sound to external devices, but I could be wrong.

If that was the case, the answer is that ARC/eARC is only needed for the "Return" audio to an external device (soundbar/AVR), I believe the input audio to the TV can even be TrueHD Atmos and still be output on the TV speakers correctly.
You did understand the question, which was not well worded. And I believe you are correct - it should work.

Thanks

Hopefully get my replacement tomorrow :)

My GZ2000 arrived on Friday and I couldn't resist getting out the meter and having a tweak that evening. I'll be honest, OOTB I was a little underwhelmed by SkyQ HD. This was using Pro 1, with everything at default, Gamma at BT.1886, Luminance at 35 and all 'enhancements' off. I left Sharpness at default too, which I wouldn't usually do, as I typically zero it.

Best way to describe what I was seeing is that skin tones were looking a bit raw and 'pop' wasn't popping as I'm used to. Colours were just about bob on though. To give context, I've come from an LG B6 that was calibrated to death, via a Lumagen Radiance Pro with 5000 point 3D LUT correction.

I checked video black and that's perfect with Brightness at '0'. At '1', it's still very dark but, with well adjusted eyes, you could just see the screen was brighter than the black soundbar grille. I upped Luminance to 40, as peak white was only hitting about 120 nits with it set at 35 and that's just too dim for OLED's in my viewing environment. At 40, peak white was now at 145 nits. I think this still needs increasing though, after viewing for a bit.
Gamma was the most tricky attribute to dial in. So much so that I think I'll reset and have a play with the main Gamma control, to see which gets closest to 2.4 (and flattest), then brighten it up a little in the lower stimulus areas, to achieve a BT.1886 curve.
Anyway, it was slightly pushing red in the upper stimulus areas and a bit deficient in all 3 channels at the lower end, still very close to the standard though.

Now it definitely looks better, with movies on Sky being very natural and as I'd expect from this display. Decent quality TV content, via SkyQ, also looks better. So I think this TV just doesn't tolerate crap as much as the LG did, and there's a lot of crap out there.

I fully expect the TV's presentation to change over the next 1000 hours of viewing, so I'll check periodically and correct the calibration as and when.

One point I must make is that DV, on this display, is leagues ahead of the LG it replaced. The detail level is unreal. I had a number of double takes when I viewed a segment of Our Planet that I'd watched before, as I couldn't believe the detail level. It was like it had been magnified. Will need to check out some HDR10/ HDR10+ content now, to see how that looks.

Paul

My GZ2000 arrived on Friday and I couldn't resist getting out the meter and having a tweak that evening. I'll be honest, OOTB I was a little underwhelmed by SkyQ HD. This was using Pro 1, with everything at default, Gamma at BT.1886, Luminance at 35 and all 'enhancements' off. I left Sharpness at default too, which I wouldn't usually do, as I typically zero it.

Best way to describe what I was seeing is that skin tones were looking a bit raw and 'pop' wasn't popping as I'm used to. Colours were just about bob on though. To give context, I've come from an LG B6 that was calibrated to death, via a Lumagen Radiance Pro with 5000 point 3D LUT correction.

I checked video black and that's perfect with Brightness at '0'. At '1', it's still very dark but, with well adjusted eyes, you could just see the screen was brighter than the black soundbar grille. I upped Luminance to 40, as peak white was only hitting about 120 nits with it set at 35 and that's just too dim for OLED's in my viewing environment. At 40, peak white was now at 145 nits. I think this still needs increasing though, after viewing for a bit.
Gamma was the most tricky attribute to dial in. So much so that I think I'll reset and have a play with the main Gamma control, to see which gets closest to 2.4 (and flattest), then brighten it up a little in the lower stimulus areas, to achieve a BT.1886 curve.
Anyway, it was slightly pushing red in the upper stimulus areas and a bit deficient in all 3 channels at the lower end, still very close to the standard though.

Now it definitely looks better, with movies on Sky being very natural and as I'd expect from this display. Decent quality TV content, via SkyQ, also looks better. So I think this TV just doesn't tolerate crap as much as the LG did, and there's a lot of crap out there.

I fully expect the TV's presentation to change over the next 1000 hours of viewing, so I'll check periodically and correct the calibration as and when.

One point I must make is that DV, on this display, is leagues ahead of the LG it replaced. The detail level is unreal. I had a number of double takes when I viewed a segment of Our Planet that I'd watched before, as I couldn't believe the detail level. It was like it had been magnified. Will need to check out some HDR10/ HDR10+ content now, to see how that looks.

Paul

This is amazing detail. Are you a professional calibrator? This sounds way beyond the average owner...

I had a brief fiddle with a reference Blu-ray (1080p24) last night and even a foot or so from the screen, the detail was pin sharp. The player was upscaling the video but, it's a Panasonic UHD BD player, so.... Flicking back to SkyQ, with a movie playing and it was ever so slightly blury. I'm now much less convinced the 'issue' is down to the TV and much more convinced there's either an issue with the SkyQ box or HDMI cable between the TV and SkyQ box (although, I'd expect any issue with the latter to be more binary).
I'll probe a little further tonight, by powering down the SkyQ box and then changing the HDMI cable.

Paul

Paul
Great write up.

Which LG did you replace?

@youngsyp
Hi, while I get what you try to achieve and it is the way I would go , still, a 0 mll would give a straight 2.4 gamma with ITU :BT1886 formula.

Please tell me how are near black details on patterns and with actual content using gama 2.2 vs ITU/2.4.

Thank you!

@youngsyp
Hi, while I get what you try to achieve and it is the way I would go , still, a 0 mll would give a straight 2.4 gamma with ITU :BT1886 formula.
Yes, agreed. I just fudge the measured 'black' numbers in LightSpace to get the brighter lower end.

Please tell me how are near black details on patterns and with actual content using gama 2.2 vs ITU/2.4.

Thank you!
Using a Brightness pluge pattern yesterday, post calibration 2% was clearly visible with video black set correctly. That was using the TV's BT.1886 preset, in a room with ambient lighting.

The next time I run a calibration, I'll reset to default and set Brightness, Contrast and Luminance for the 2.2. and 2.4 Gamma presets and let you know how the patterns look.

I've not critically assessed near black response yet but, on casual viewing there certainly aren't any issues.

One thing I noticed yesterday is that Contrast can be increased to 91 and video levels up to 254 are still visible (SDR) using a Contrast pluge pattern.
I might experiment a little with this as I read somewhere at some time, that it's pointless having anything over video level 243 visible, as there's no video content using anything greater than that. That would allow me to increase Contrast to around 95/ 96, giving the image greater 'pop'. And I'm all about the 'pop'. :D

Paul

Yes, agreed. I just fudge the measured 'black' numbers in LightSpace to get the brighter lower end.

And which value are you using exactly? 0,001 or something else, maybe higher?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom