Panasonic GZ2000 4K OLED Review & Comments

I've had the Gz2000 for nearly a week,my Af9 got panel issues and currys couldn't replace it.

They offered a Ag9, but took the price of what the Ag9 costs and paid the balance for my current Gz2000 .

which I'm glad I did as couldn't be more happier with it.

I am sure I have read on a few sites one should not get a set calibrated until after a "fair" bit of usage. That to my mind means the figures can drift during the bedding in period. So even if one bought a set spot on who is to say a few weeks later it has not regressed.

I am sure I have read on a few sites one should not get a set calibrated until after a "fair" bit of usage. That to my mind means the figures can drift during the bedding in period. So even if one bought a set spot on who is to say a few weeks later it has not regressed.
That's not the case. The reason we say you should wait 100 hours at least before a calibration on your new TV is that if it is to go wrong or display a fault, it will do so in the first 100 hours or so. It has nothing to do with drift. LCD TVs are best at holding their settings vs. measurement over time and OLED is also very good, I haven't seen any visible shift in well over 2 years of use on a set. Projectors are a different story where they use a bulb and that does age and drift within a year or so of normal use.

Last edited:
150-200 hours is enough hours usage for a calibration. Plenty of hours for a set to bed in. Sets dont really drift that much after that imo.

Probably get mine done at the 200+ plus mark.

150-200 hours is enough hours usage for a calibration. Plenty of hours for a set to bed in. Sets dont really drift that much after that imo.

Probably get mine done at the 200+ plus mark.
The thing is that the display (as with any tv) will continue to drift over time, so would it not be best to have a calibration every 6 months or so ?

Im currently running at red -10 and blue -2 (white balance) to achieve d65 on professional 2/warm 2

That's not the case. The reason we say you should wait 100 hours at least before a calibration on your new TV is that if it is to go wrong or display a fault, it will do so in the first 100 hours or so. It has nothing to do with drift. LCD TVs are best at holding their settings vs. measurement over time and OLED is also very good, I haven't seen any visible shift in well over 2 years of use on a set. Projectors are a different story where they use a bulb and that does age and drift within a year or so of normal use.

Ah well just ignore anything I post probably have the wrong end of the stick.;)

The thing is that the display (as with any tv) will continue to drift over time, so would it not be best to have a calibration every 6 months or so ?

Im currently running at red -10 and blue -2 (white balance) to achieve d65 on professional 2/warm 2
Drift is minimal with current TV displays and I haven't seen any noticeable drift in long term testing over 12 months. Projectors using bulbs are a different matter but even so, I calibrated Stuart's JVC in 2015 initially and then rechecked it in 2018, with no major drift. He used it a couple of hours every other day.

Ah well just ignore anything I post probably have the wrong end of the stick.;)

Don't worry bogart99,

Everyone always ignore my posts! :facepalm:

Dave

Great review Phil, probably the most thorough and comprehensive I've seen...Were just too close to CES 2020 to make any purchases, I'm assuming those sets all should be hdmi 2.1

Were just too close to CES 2020 to make any purchases

CES might not seem far away but it'll be June 2020 before the TVs are available and that's 9 months away ! :D

Phil Hinton Not to get to far off topic but can you expand on the panel uniformity differences between the Panasonic and LG that you noted in this review? I've read multiple sources that said LG grades the OLED modules at the factory which is why the B/C series LGs have more uniformity issues over Panasonic and Sony. Have you seen this trend and do you know if the E series LGs on average have better uniformity. Someone mention in the other thread here than Vincent Teoh said in person to him that there are differences and he himself owns a E9 and not the C9.

I wouldn't be surprised in 2020 to see only 2 ports for HDMI 2.1, the other 2 will still be 2.0b. These manufacturers don't like to give us everything at once or they have very little to offer the following year.

How do you know advanced image retention mitigation not been out long enough. Because the screen is slightly brighter had to put in place further measures. Does not make all the other oled more susceptible to screen burn.

Another reviewer (VT) gave his thoughts and demonstrated in his video the difference in image retention on the GZ2000 and Other OLEDs. He goes as far as saying this difference alone may 'maybe worth paying the price premium for the GZ2000'.

I actually spoke to someone today who was interested in OLED but has a plasma that had the SKY pause button burn into his screen. That extra peace of mind has made his decision to get a GZ2000 around Black Friday

Another reviewer (VT) gave his thoughts and demonstrated in his video the difference in image retention on the GZ2000 and Other OLEDs. He goes as far as saying this difference alone may 'maybe worth paying the price premium for the GZ2000'.

I actually spoke to someone today who was interested in OLED but has a plasma that had the SKY pause button burn into his screen. That extra peace of mind has made his decision to get a GZ2000 around Black Friday
It is funny but I am now on my fourth OLED and through normal day to day watching, and the odd weekend binge, I’ve never seen any image retention. My last plasma, the VT65, would frequently retain images but I could wash them away and never had burn in. That’s anecdotal but I wonder how much of an issue it really is for normal viewers.

CES might not seem far away but it'll be June 2020 before the TVs are available and that's 9 months away ! :D
That's true, but at least you would know what is coming, and you would have a choice then, and hopefully the price of this set might have dropped a bit?

It is funny but I am now on my fourth OLED and through normal day to day watching, and the odd weekend binge, I’ve never seen any image retention. My last plasma, the VT65, would frequently retain images but I could wash them away and never had burn in. That’s anecdotal but I wonder how much of an issue it really is for normal viewers.
Did you ever did a test pattern on your OLEDs?

I dont think its much of an issue for the majority of people out there

Speaks volumes does that. There is WAY too much emphasis on this kind of thing amongst 'enthusiasts'. Fact is, it's barely an issue in reality.

Reminds me of when people talk about being happy to pay extra for 'perfect uniformity. It's a fine line, but it gets a bit silly...

Last edited:
Speaks volumes does that. There is WAY too much emphasis on this kind of thing amongst 'enthisiasts'. Fact is, it's barely an issue in reality.

Reminds me of when people talk about being happy to pay extra for 'perfect uniformity. It's a fine line, but it gets a bit silly...
Paying over £4,000 for a TV people expect perfection!

Paying over £4,000 for a TV people expect perfection!
I'm not sure they do.

I bought one knowing it had an issue with audio reproduction and minor posterisation in extreme specular highlights. The latter is still an issue. We're all aware its colour performance doesn't cover the full DCI P3 colourspace, let alone the Rec.2020 colourspace too, so needs to tone map colour to fit into its native colour response. Similarly with its need to tone map HDR too, as it can't go bright enough for the current grading approach.

Enthusiasts understand there is no such thing as the perfect TV, and probably never will be but, the GZ2000 get's as close as any TV before it has. :smashin:

Paul

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above as there is know perfect tv but again it's what your priorities are as for living room it came top but was beat into second place for HDR which is what these tv's are all about by LG in the blind shootout , I'm not saying it's not the best tv but its definetly the most expensive and I think you really have to love Panasonic or have deep pockets for the real world difference.

I agree with all of the above as there is know perfect tv but again it's what your priorities are as for living room it came top but was beat into second place for HDR which is what these tv's are all about by LG in the blind shootout
And yet Phil noted the GZ2000 "
offered a slightly better SDR and HDR performance that had a more natural colour tone and a white balance that wasn’t as cyan as the C9. But in all other picture attribute areas, both screens were extremely similar to each other, with the same inky deep blacks and shadow detail. We did note that the GZ2000 and GZ950 have slightly better screen uniformity and just above black detail retrieval where the C9 did slightly crush, even when correctly calibrated.".

The C9 also won the 'Black & shadow detail' and 'Colour accuracy' sections in the shootout, which would also seem to contradict Steve's trained opinion...

That being the case, if you buy a TV based on other people's opinion, you'd tend to make that buying decision based on who's opinion you value most.

Paul

Last edited:
And yet Steve noted the GZ2000 "
offered a slightly better SDR and HDR performance that had a more natural colour tone and a white balance that wasn’t as cyan as the C9. But in all other picture attribute areas, both screens were extremely similar to each other, with the same inky deep blacks and shadow detail. We did note that the GZ2000 and GZ950 have slightly better screen uniformity and just above black detail retrieval where the C9 did slightly crush, even when correctly calibrated.".

The C9 also won the 'Black & shadow detail' and 'Colour accuracy' sections in the shootout, which would also seem to contradict Steve's trained opinion...

That being the case, if you buy a TV based on other people's opinion, you'd tend to make that buying decision based on who's opinion you value most.

Paul

All that is true regarding the C9 in uniformity but not with the E9 but for some reason it's not used making that category an easier one to edge.

Why does the GZ950 get a 10 in colour accuracy and GZ2000 get a 9? Looking at both reviews they appear Identical apart from slightly higher HDR peak brightness on the GZ2000. SDR is identical.

Still waiting for my GZ2000 to turn up , Panasonic Canada have them in very short supply , But I'll guess I'll have to make do with my GZ1000 ( first world problems :))
Anyway I'm shopping for a subwoofer and I dug some old cables out , One of which is a dedicated woofer cable , But it doesn't seem to fit too good in the GZ , sort of only goes so far in , The 3.5 mm headphone cable fits fine , what's everyone else using ? I can't try the fancy woofer cable as Ive no subwoofer at the moment .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom