Panasonic GZ2000 4K OLED Review & Comments

Isn't it inevitable that Panasonic will release a TV with the panel upgrades but without the expensive built-in speakers? I would have thought there's a gap in the market there...

It's hard to wrap my head around any TV possibly looking better than my GZ950 though. :thumbsup:

Yes i think will happen next year but what will it knock off £1000 maybe? still expensive.

I don't really think taking away the speakers would reduce the price by 1k. Think the cost is with the custom panel,metal plate and cooling more than the speakers.

Seems to be a great tv. I like the tv but from the review it seems there's little difference between GZ2000 vs. GZ1000.

Seems to be a great tv. I like the tv but from the review it seems there's little difference between GZ2000 vs. GZ1000.

There is little difference between all oleds this year and I'm so pleased with my E9 as it is truly stunning but I'm pleased for all the GZ2000 owners that they fixed the sound issues and can now enjoy there tv's to the full.

Reading this review there seems little point in getting this tv calibrated

Well a few here have had their sets calibrated and said they could see an improvement and that the calibration was worthwhile.

My last Gz Gz2000 had a green cast to it,and while it wasn't a full calibration I had,I could see quite a difference .

Whether this current set is accurate enough or not remains to be seen. But I will be getting this Gz2000 calibrated so I know it is as good picture quality wise that it could be.

Last edited:
So what are the chances of this without the extra fancy speakers to help reduce cost?

There is little difference between all oleds this year and I'm so pleased with my E9 as it is truly stunning but I'm pleased for all the GZ2000 owners that they fixed the sound issues and can now enjoy there tv's to the full.
I got myself E9 too. Very pleased.

Well a few here have had their sets calibrated and said they could see an improvement and that the calibration was worthwhile.

My last Gz Gz2000 had a green cast to it,and while it wasn't a full calibration I had,I could see quite a difference .

Whether this current set is accurate enough or not remains to be seen. But I will be getting this Gz2000 calibrated so I know it is as good picture quality wise that it could be.
So are you planning getting a GZ2000? What about your A9F? Any major differences?

So are you planning getting a GZ2000? What about your A9F? Any major differences?
I've had the Gz2000 for nearly a week,my Af9 got panel issues and currys couldn't replace it.

They offered a Ag9, but took the price of what the Ag9 costs and paid the balance for my current Gz2000 .

which I'm glad I did as couldn't be more happier with it.

The overlay stated it had been updated so I guess the review was prior to update.

Great review Phil,

Cheers, I don't think even I could have wrote a better one myself😃

Dave

I tested with 3.192 firmware, I didn't have any issues with crackling. I updated the video with the information that 3.202 is available and also updated the owner's thread with the information directly from Panasonic.

A halo model to say “we do it better than everyone else”.

Meanwhile we all go buy a 950.
Job done.
Good exhaustive work Phil

I'd imagine improvements in the panel for the next lot will probably beat what this can do.
Unlikely, if the improvements with every other OLED TV remain constant. Panasonic are the only manufacturer who've done anything out of the norm, from a manufacturing perspective, to improve the technology and it's taken that development to push the envelope and create a TV that only slightly improves PQ on every other OLED.
The only real improvements with every other OLED model, since 2016, has been with near black rendition.
Thanks for testing and reporting on autocal, while calibration is common here, most likely less common in the average home, user calibration may be even more niche, but it’s certainly something I enjoy and can’t wait to use (with the built in pattern generator).
Whilst this seems like an ideal approach (I was sold on it initially), the TV's inbuilt test patterns display with aspects of the image processing disabled. Thus what you measuring and adjusting against, isn't a true representation of what will be displayed with actual content.
Asking Panasonic why this is would be an interesting question. It seems like an odd decision to make, given these are sold on their picture accuracy.

Paul

My take away :

It doesn't cost a manufacturer much to build/buy a OLED Panel and have a great picture so it doesn't cost the buyer that much (£1199^)

But it seems for a manufacturer through R&D and a extra manufacturing process to make an OLED brighter and somehow almost completely unsusceptible to image retention and screen burn. It does cost a Manufacturer so i guess it also has to cost the buyer.

It does seem to be my dream TV, better just start saving the pennies :thumbsup:

Is the GZ2000 worth $1,000 more vs. GZ1000 / GZ950?

Only if you’reinterested in the sound system.

I seem to have ‘lucked out’ and have a near perfect gz950. Coming from a Kuro plasma, I am ‘extremely happy’ with the gz950 & having looked at a gz2000 there’s nearly nothing in it. What I think we’ll see next year possibly is this panel tech without the speakers.

Is the GZ2000 worth $1,000 more vs. GZ1000 / GZ950?
Depends what you mean by 'worth'. If you mean is the picture side by side a revolutionary change in OLED tech? No.

The GZ950/1000:
  • Competitive OLED picture
  • OK TV speakers
  • Regular OLED image retention and screen burn mitigation
The GZ2000
  • The best and brightest OLED picture
  • Unique and powerfull TV speakers
  • Advanced image retention and burn in mitigation
You pay for the engineering it takes to build the BEST TV

Please for the love of god, replace the awful black glass tv cabinet. You can’t see the design of the usually black TVs placed on a black glass TV stand and it looks ugly as hell.

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by 'worth'. If you mean is the picture side by side a revolutionary change in OLED tech? No.

The GZ950/1000:
  • Competitive OLED picture
  • OK TV speakers
  • Regular OLED image retention and screen burn mitigation
The GZ2000
  • The best and brightest OLED picture
  • Unique and powerfull TV speakers
  • Advanced image retention and burn in mitigation
You pay for the engineering it takes to build the BEST TV

How do you know advanced image retention mitigation not been out long enough. Because the screen is slightly brighter had to put in place further measures. Does not make all the other oled more susceptible to screen burn.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom