Panasonic GZ1500 (TX-55GZ1500B) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Great review, forgive my ignorance...but what does this tv actually do with a satellite signal? I see its got 2 F connectors but doesn't mention Freesat(HD) on any media. Does the tuner pick up all channels provided by Freesat, but theres no EPG? Cheers.

Great review, forgive my ignorance...but what does this tv actually do with a satellite signal? I see its got 2 F connectors but doesn't mention Freesat(HD) on any media. Does the tuner pick up all channels provided by Freesat, but theres no EPG? Cheers.

I believe that's right, yes. It'll pick up Freesat channels provided you have a suitably-aligned dish but, because it doesn't officially support Freesat, there's no EPG. Now and Next might work though ?

Yes the Panasonic GZ's have 2 satellite inputs for manual sat tuning, the epg apperently only shows now and next though....i dont normally use Freeview as the PQ is poor though using there Epg might be a workaround for using as a quick tv guide.

I need some help urgently please. I am about to replace my TV in the next couple of days, and I am between the Panasonic TX-55GZ950B and the LG OLED55B9PLA. This lack of Freesat on the Panasonic worries me, as I watch two different feeds currently (well, three, but the third has its own decoder and connects to the TV via HDMI), UK ones on Astra 28.2°E and German on Astra 1 at 19.2E. I am not worried at all about the EPG issue discussed, I just want to know that I will be able to continue watching these two feeds if I buy the Panasonic without having to buy a separate freesat box. Many thanks!

Last edited:
I believe that's right, yes. It'll pick up Freesat channels provided you have a suitably-aligned dish but, because it doesn't officially support Freesat, there's no EPG. Now and Next might work though ?

It seems like I jumped the gun. So the TV WILL display two diferent feeds, as long as I have the satellite disks, right? Please someone confirm, if you know the answer. Many thanks again.

It seems like I jumped the gun. So the TV WILL display two diferent feeds, as long as I have the satellite disks, right? Please someone confirm, if you know the answer. Many thanks again.

The GZ OLEDs do have two satellite inputs but I don't know if you can connect these to two different satellite dishes - I think the common scenario would be that these would both connect to the same dish so that you can record one channel and watch another, (although the lack of Freesat EPG would make setting timers impossible, unless I'm missing something !)

As connecting to two different dishes is important to you, you need to get confirmation from Panasonic or another member who has successfully done this - I only have one input connected, so can't advise, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I need some help urgently please. I am about to replace my TV in the next couple of days, and I am between the Panasonic TX-55GZ950B and the LG OLED55B9PLA. This lack of Freesat on the Panasonic worries me, as I watch two different feeds currently (well, three, but the third has its own decoder and connects to the TV via HDMI), UK ones on Astra 28.2°E and German on Astra 1 at 19.2E. I am not worried at all about the EPG issue discussed, I just want to know that I will be able to continue watching these two feeds if I buy the Panasonic without having to buy a separate freesat box. Many thanks!

My Lg E7 oled as 2 satellite inputs and inbuilt freesat...i dont know if the current 9 series of LG have 2 inputs ( doubt the B9 does ) .....your better of asking on the LG or simply look the specs up on Currys or John Lewis or LG's own website.

As some one else mentions 2 inputs is usually meant so you can watch n record.....i've never tried 2 different satellites at same time on a tv.
I do how ever have a multi sat set up and the easiest way is to just get another set top box theres plenty of hdmi connections.....i only ever use my tv for freesat and satellites else where on the arc.

Hi, I’ll be receiving my gz1500 on Friday and have a question about cabling.
I will also be purchasing a panny 4K Blu-ray and see that there is an HDMI to AVR and one to TV. I have the denon x4400 AVR which supports 4K and pass through if needed.
Q. Should I have just one hdmi from the arc to AVR and run all devices through the AVR or have a second cable between the tv and the Blu-ray? As tv is wall mounted I need to start thinking about hiding a 2nd cable within cavity!!
Thanks

Hi, I’ll be receiving my gz1500 on Friday and have a question about cabling.
I will also be purchasing a panny 4K Blu-ray and see that there is an HDMI to AVR and one to TV. I have the denon x4400 AVR which supports 4K and pass through if needed.
Q. Should I have just one hdmi from the arc to AVR and run all devices through the AVR or have a second cable between the tv and the Blu-ray? As tv is wall mounted I need to start thinking about hiding a 2nd cable within cavity!!
Thanks

Hi.
Firstly, you need to check what the avr can actually pass thru.
Mine, for example, passes 4k and hdr10, but not hdr10+ or Dolby vision, and I assume your Panasonic 4k Blu-ray supports those as the TV does?
If the avr supports all those formats then you can go with one cable as long as you don't get lip sync issues with the passthru.
I find I use 2 hdmis from my 4k player, 1 to the TV to handle video and the other to the soundbar to handle the audio. This way there is no passthru to worry about and I don't get any lip sync issues this way. Would you be able to test it before committing to the physical cabling?

Hi.
Firstly, you need to check what the avr can actually pass thru.
Mine, for example, passes 4k and hdr10, but not hdr10+ or Dolby vision, and I assume your Panasonic 4k Blu-ray supports those as the TV does?
If the avr supports all those formats then you can go with one cable as long as you don't get lip sync issues with the passthru.
I find I use 2 hdmis from my 4k player, 1 to the TV to handle video and the other to the soundbar to handle the audio. This way there is no passthru to worry about and I don't get any lip sync issues this way. Would you be able to test it before committing to the physical cabling?
Thank you. I think I may air on the side of caution and put another cable in the cavity. The avr supports DV, HDR10 and HLG but no sign of HDR10+ but then i read you won't find many avr's mentioning HDR10+. But I do need to be mindful that the player I get supports the formats so thank you for pointing that out.

And there it sits taunting me until my ribs heal!!

Attachments

• C2AE15D9-BBA5-41DB-ADE1-6D2C4351249B.jpeg
    C2AE15D9-BBA5-41DB-ADE1-6D2C4351249B.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 198
Well it’s up and after busting a rib or two lifting the little bugger up onto the bracket I decided against channeling out another hole for the hdmi from 4k blu ray directly to TV. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the denon avr4400 actually passes through Dolby vision. Anyhow, I have nowhere near the knowledge of this forum but I can honestly say I am blown away with the gz1500. Beautiful picture and a good volume of sound from the blade.

Attachments

• 46E28261-B78D-4E1B-A9D0-A03BF6C4901D.jpeg
    46E28261-B78D-4E1B-A9D0-A03BF6C4901D.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 182
Well it’s up and after busting a rib or two lifting the little bugger up onto the bracket I decided against channeling out another hole for the hdmi from 4k blu ray directly to TV. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the denon avr4400 actually passes through Dolby vision. Anyhow, I have nowhere near the knowledge of this forum but I can honestly say I am blown away with the gz1500. Beautiful picture and a good volume of sound from the blade.

looks superb.
hope you didn’t injure yourself too badly.
enjoy...

Hi, anyone with a GZ have a code for Sky Q remote? All the panny codes I’ve tried does not increase/decrease volume. Thanks

Hi, anyone with a GZ have a code for Sky Q remote? All the panny codes I’ve tried does not increase/decrease volume. Thanks

strange as mine changes volume on my 950 without me doing anything. I wouldn’t even know how to set up a code. happy to have a look if someone can tell me what to look for...

Going from my vt65 to gz1500 did not work so I went through the codes suggested on the sky remote setup on the skyq box. However, I think I have one of the earlier remotes as I don’t have the microphone built in to the remote.
I don’t think there is a way to see what code you’ve programmed into it but to change it you just keep your fingers on “1” and “3” until the light on the remote flashes and enter the code on the screen. I’ve been through them all but to no avail.

I was going to say make sure you turn CEC on but volume is done by infrared not bluetooth via the sky box.

I think all the connections are spot on. I can turn on Sky which in turn turns on amp and tv. If I turn of home cinema (use the tv speaker)on the tv the amp goes into standby. I was hoping the existing panny codes would just work but it’s just the volume on the sky remote. No big deal though as I watch amazon prime and Netflix apps through tv so I’m using remote more than on the other tv. Thanks

Hello all, have got the 1500 on my radar at the moment but want to check that the crackling from the speakers has been addressed, e.g. from a firmware update? Also is there any chance it will get the Apple TV app or Disney+ anytime soon? May need to factor in buying a Roku streaming device and Apple TV box. Factors such as this are driving me towards an LG but consistently reading about the Panny natural colours which I prefer....

Hello all, have got the 1500 on my radar at the moment but want to check that the crackling from the speakers has been addressed, e.g. from a firmware update?

The crackling problem was the main reason I held off buying a GZ950 last year. I monitored these forums and once it appeared to have been fixed by a firmware update, I left it a few weeks (just to be sure there were no comments to the contrary) and then bought one.

Once set up, the TV immediately updated to the latest firmware at the time I'm and I'm happy to report I haven't heard a single crackle or had any audio issues at all with my Yamaha AV amp connected.

Last edited:
Also is there any chance it will get the Apple TV app or Disney+ anytime soon? May need to factor in buying a Roku streaming device and Apple TV box.

There's no sign of Apple TV+ or Disney+ apps so far, although they have added Britbox since I bought mine. Other forum users have enquired directly to Panasonic, but not received any definitive answers or dates.

Hi

I would appreciate some advice if possible.
I am looking at purchasing either the Panasonic TX-55GZ1500B or TX-55GZ2000B, both with the SCHT900B sound bar.
Total cost for the 1500 with sound bar is £1,800 and the 2000B is coming it at £550 more at £2,350 (with sound bar).
Please would you be able to advise on the major differences and whether the extra cost is worth it for this setup?
Or, as I’m am planning on getting the sound bar, would I be better with either the 1000 or 950?
Any advice gratefully received

Thank you.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom