Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

My previous TVs:

LG 65C8 OLED (2 of them)
Panasonic GT60 Plasma

I see stutters and frame skips in plain sight frequently. Say you are watching a movie via ATV, I see stutters (NOT JUDDER) once every 10 minutes. Sometimes it is subtle (blink-and-miss) and sometimes it's as if it is interpolating at 5 fps instead of 24 fps. It is not during slow panning shots. Its mainly around actor's heads and body movement.

Stuttering is the only major issue for me. Otherwise, this is a cracking TV.

I will watch some movies via my UHD player but all these are very time consuming.
Sadly then, I think your only option is to return the TV and buy another brand, such as the well reviewed LG CX. I've written at length about the stutter problem over the years but the fundamental problem is that it's inherent in the (stupid) design of Panasonic's video processor and until they radically redesign that there's no solution. It has been doing it since the EZ. I can tell you what you're seeing and why if you haven't already read my thoughts on this... Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

I found it guys. Turns out you don't see some menu options when you have source selected like netflix. I was able to access demo mode when no source was on.
Thank you all for help. :)
Did you check the power on hours as @steverobertsbbc suggested?

They can be seen in 'Status 4' on the system info screen.

Go to Menu->Help->System Information:
Panasonic TV Codes.jpg

Last edited:
Did you check the power on hours as @steverobertsbbc suggested?

They can be seen in 'Status 4' on the system info screen.

Go to Menu->Help->System Information:
View attachment 1410105
Status 4: B00127-0000130-00000

Does it mean it was powered on for 127 hours ?

If so its weird, I got this TV 3 days ago and viewed for maybe 10 hours tops. But 130 hours is too low for display model, probably some factory testing.

BTW I already fixed demo mode. I was avalible only when no source was selected.

Last edited:

Does it mean it was powered on for 130 hours ?

If so its weird, I got this TV 3 days ago and viewed for maybe 10 hours tops. But 130 hours is too low for display model, probably some factory testing.

Not necessarily, it would enough for a couple of weeks on demo. Sounds far too high for any "factory testing"?

Sadly then, I think your only option is to return the TV and buy another brand, such as the well reviewed LG CX. I've written at length about the stutter problem over the years but the fundamental problem is that it's inherent in the (stupid) design of Panasonic's video processor and until they radically redesign that there's no solution. It has been doing it since the EZ. I can tell you what you're seeing and why if you haven't already read my thoughts on this... Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Yes, I have read and liked your post earlier. Understand that micro-stutter is undefeatable but to its not blink and miss type. Wish my eyes weren't sensitive.

My conclusion is it shows up more with external devices like ATV, FireTV stick and to a lesser extent on built-in apps and BD/UHD player.

Yes, I have read and liked your post earlier. Understand that micro-stutter is undefeatable but to its not blink and miss type. Wish my eyes weren't sensitive.
Tell me about it! Years spent scrutinizing content during remastering for DVD and Blu-ray have trained me to be very sensitive to any kind of motion discontinuity and it's not possible to turn it off.

My conclusion is it shows up more with external devices like ATV, FireTV stick and to a lesser extent on built-in apps and BD/UHD player.
I've found it much worse on HDR content, I suspect that's because most of the picture is squashed down towards the lower levels of the data range and the processor has an even harder job of trying to detect the repeated frames as a consequence.

Tell me about it! Years spent scrutinizing content during remastering for DVD and Blu-ray have trained me to be very sensitive to any kind of motion discontinuity and it's not possible to turn it off.

I've found it much worse on HDR content, I suspect that's because most of the picture is squashed down towards the lower levels of the data range and the processor has an even harder job of trying to detect the repeated frames as a consequence.

I am genuinely surprised that we have so many members who are not seeing this. You are right that its worse on HDR which is why I keep saying 4K HDR/DV.

Looks like my next TV will be one that handles motion well (Sony) but for now, I have to put up with this nonsense.

I am genuinely surprised that we have so many members who are not seeing this. You are right that its worse on HDR which is why I keep saying 4K HDR/DV.

Looks like my next TV will be one that handles motion well (Sony) but for now, I have to put up with this nonsense.

Probably for the same reason that so many people don't see the red tint. Because they don't have it.

Probably for the same reason that so many people don't see the red tint. Because they don't have it.
I have to say that I find the likelihood of a number of identical TVs suffering from a motion problem whilst other don't is very small, assuming that all are running the same versions of firmware (which *wasn't* the case with the EZ when we first investigated this problem three years ago). It's much more reasonable to assume that they are all behaving identically, but it's the individually sensitivity of the viewer to the problem that is the issue here. Some people are hugely sensitive to things that go completely unnoticed by others. I'm hugely sensitive to motion discontinuities, but completely oblivious to the pitch shift of 24fps films being shown at 25fps, aka "PAL speedup", for example. I know people who find the latter incredibly frustrating however.

I have to say that I find the likelihood of a number of identical TVs suffering from a motion problem whilst other don't is very small, assuming that all are running the same versions of firmware (which *wasn't* the case with the EZ when we first investigated this problem three years ago). It's much more reasonable to assume that they are all behaving identically, but it's the individually sensitivity of the viewer to the problem that is the issue here. Some people are hugely sensitive to things that go completely unnoticed by others. I'm hugely sensitive to motion discontinuities, but completely oblivious to the pitch shift of 24fps films being shown at 25fps, aka "PAL speedup", for example. I know people who find the latter incredibly frustrating however.

Yeah that's a fair point Steve, but I guess if people don't see it they don't have it in reality! I think that along with the tint issue, this is something that affects a minority of people which why there are relatively few complainants.

No less annoying for the people affected of course.

Does it mean it was powered on for 127 hours ?

Yes that means 127 hours total screen on time. What's more puzzling though is that the number of times powered on is 130... So the TV has been powered on 130 times and watched for less than an hour on average per power on.

What does your status 8 field say? It's not listed on the table I shared, but it indicates maintenance cycles. This one is in hex, so it should be around 0001E or 0001F which is 30 and 31 cycles, one for every 4 hours the TV has been on.

If this number is much lower then it might have been turned off at the plug. Combined with the bright shop mode I'd be worried the TV has been subject to unreasonable wear and ask to return it.

If you're happy with the TV otherwise then it's not an issue. You could check some slides to see if there is any burn in, but I'm not sure if you'd get that after only 127 hours even if it was left on shop mode the whole time.

Yes that means 127 hours total screen on time. What's more puzzling though is that the number of times powered on is 130... So the TV has been powered on 130 times and watched for less than an hour on average per power on.

What does your status 8 field say? It's not listed on the table I shared, but it indicates maintenance cycles. This one is in hex, so it should be around 0001E or 0001F which is 30 and 31 cycles, one for every 4 hours the TV has been on.

If this number is much lower then it might have been turned off at the plug. Combined with the bright shop mode I'd be worried the TV has been subject to unreasonable wear and ask to return it.

If you're happy with the TV otherwise then it's not an issue. You could check some slides to see if there is any burn in, but I'm not sure if you'd get that after only 127 hours even if it was left on shop mode the whole time.

If it was mine I'd be concerned.

Status 8 says: 00025-0001c- and then zeroes so 28 cycles ?

I've played some gray test videos but I cannot spot any flaws. TV is from costco so maybe someone returned it ? But packaging and TV itself seemed spotless.

Status 8 says: 00025-0001c- and then zeroes so 28 cycles ?

I've played some gray test videos but I cannot spot any flaws. TV is from costco so maybe someone returned it ? But packaging and TV itself seemed spotless.
Yeah that means it's been started 37 times and completed 28 times, which seems about right. The cycle has been interupted 9 times, but I don't know if that matters unless it's interrupted and then the TV is used for many more hours.

If you can't see any screen burn then it's probably fine. I know how stressful packing these things up and returning them can be. So if it was me, I'd be a little annoyed, but not enough to bother going to that trouble.

Have you checked for banding on 5%/10%/20% grey? Try to do this on the Pro 2 picture setting so it's not artificially brighter than 5% should be.

Also check for any cyan/magenta tinting on full white, some is expected on all WRGB OLEDs, but some are worse than others.

If all that looks ok, rather than it being due to an issue with that particular set, it could have just been someone who changed their mind.

Yeah that means it's been started 37 times and completed 28 times, which seems about right. The cycle has been interupted 9 times, but I don't know if that matters unless it's interrupted and then the TV is used for many more hours.

If you can't see any screen burn then it's probably fine. I know how stressful packing these things up and returning them can be. So if it was me, I'd be a little annoyed, but not enough to bother going to that trouble.

Have you checked for banding on 5%/10%/20% grey? Try to do this on the Pro 2 picture setting so it's not artificially brighter than 5% should be.

Also check for any cyan/magenta tinting on full white, some is expected on all WRGB OLEDs, but some are worse than others.

If all that looks ok, rather than it being due to an issue with that particular set, it could have just been someone who changed their mind.

Thanks, I just finished talking to costco they said they had no returns on this model...
Yeah, repacking it would be annoying.

I attached some images from banding test. I'm suprised how visible it is on 5% photo. Test done in completely dark room,

Its much less visible with naked eye. On 10% I can barely see its there. I cannot see any flaws in all white image. What do you think ?

Setting Pro 2, 30% Lumi, test played from youtube

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 129
  • white.jpg
    white.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Thanks, I just finished talking to costco they said they had no returns on this model...

I attached some images from banding test. I'm suprised how visible it is on 5% photo. Its much less visible with naked eye. On 10% I can barely see its there. What do you think ?

That doesn't look great but, can you see it in actual content? Scenes with lots of grey graduation and near black areas would show that up. Snowy scenes would show any tint that might be present.

And it's not a case of what we think either. It's your TV and only you can judge whether any issue it may have is acceptable.

Paul

I attached some images from banding test. I'm suprised how visible it is on 5% photo. Test done in completely dark room,

Its much less visible with naked eye. On 10% I can barely see its there. I cannot see any flaws in all white image. What do you think ?

That 5% doesn't look great, but the picture might be making it look worse than it does in person. I'll take a picture of mine later for comparison.

As @youngsyp says though, what matters is if it's noticeable in content, and at least it's fairly even. My 2018 Philips OLED had banding quite strongly on only one side of the panel, very noticeable!

That 5% doesn't look great, but the picture might be making it look worse than it does in person. I'll take a picture of mine later for comparison.

As @youngsyp says though, what matters is if it's noticeable in content, and at least it's fairly even. My 2018 Philips OLED had banding quite strongly on only one side of the panel, very noticeable!

To be honest I'm not able to notice it in normal content even now when I know where to look. 5% brightness grey content is rather rare.

BTW: Is anyone using google chromecast or similar streaming device ? I'm wondering if I will noticeably lose some motion smoothness or quality as HDMI on Z950 supports 4k60hz max vs 4k120hz native. Compared to using built in apps.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm not able to notice it in normal content even now when I know where to look. 5% brightness grey content is rather rare.

BTW: Is anyone using google chromecast or similar streaming device ? I'm wondering if I will noticeably lose some motion smoothness or quality as HDMI on Z950 supports 4k60hz max vs 4k120hz native. Compared to using built in apps.
I don't think there are any built in apps delivering 120Hz, are there? I can't think of any that deliver more than 60Hz. Most Netflix is 24Hz, with some TV stuff usually at 25 or 30Hz, not sure if they even do 50/60Hz. iPlayer will do 50Hz, youtube possibly does 60Hz. But I can't think of anything that delivers 120Hz.

I take back my 'not great' comment, I've just checked my 5%. It doesn't look bad at all in person, but the photo makes it look terrible!
IMG_20201126_235832.jpg

The tinting on the left is a suprise, I've never noticed it before except on full white, and it's not as strong as this pic makes it look. None of the other slides/colours show any burn in.

I don't remember noticing any of the banding/shadowing in content in the 4056 hours the TV has been in use. I watch movies in the dark with no bias light, so there are plenty of near black scenes where it would be visible.

I take back my 'not great' comment, I've just checked my 5%. It doesn't look bad at all in person, but the photo makes it look terrible!
View attachment 1410703

The tinting on the left is a suprise, I've never noticed it before except on full white, and it's not as strong as this pic makes it look. None of the other slides/colours show any burn in.

I don't remember noticing any of the banding/shadowing in content in the 4056 hours the TV has been in use. I watch movies in the dark with no bias light, so there are plenty of near black scenes where it would be visible.

The danger of obsessing over 5% slides - you then can't help looking for it in normal content. Watch your TV as intended and enjoy it.

The danger of obsessing over 5% slides - you then can't help looking for it in normal content. Watch your TV as intended and enjoy it.

Well said. I did that just twice with my OLED as I was being curious but until then stopped for it as I barely see vertical banding or tint issues.

The main issue is this stuttering.

Yeah that was my point really. I checked it when I received the TV, then again at 4056 hours to provide a comparison for @Variv.

Pictures of it at 5% will always look worse than what your eyes can see, so as long as you don't notice it on regular content it's not worth worrying about.

As an example of when it is worth worrying about, here's a picture of my first Philips 803:
IMG_20190204_011436.jpg

And here's what happens if your OLED is in direct sunlight when it's doing it's maintenance cycle (my second Philips 803):
IMG_20190408_191005.jpg

Hi everyone, I have had a gz1000 for about 4 months, I am extremely satisfied with the image quality in the movies, but this darn “logo luminance control” is driving me crazy in gaming. I set it to "min" to mitigate the issue, but the lowering of the brightness after only a few minutes of gaming bothers me tremendously. I read on AVforums that it is not possible to disable it in any way, not even via the service menu, is there any hope that panasonic can implement a switch-off function with a software update? If I'm not wrong, the latest LG have the ability to set logo control “off” even from the remote control, if panasonic wanted it shouldn't be difficult to give us this option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom