Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

What are we setting luminance at for normal tv watching ?
Thanks

Mine is at 40 using Pro 2.

I've been super happy with my new gz1000 until tonight and I noticed this vertical banding... Anyone seen this before.. Its noticeable on bright screens or this one... Seen it on netfix on the app and on the attached amazon fire box.. View attachment 1302332
I have never seen V/Banding that clear/bad.

What are we setting luminance at for normal tv watching ?
Thanks
I have it set at 50 during daylight .. very bright room .. also only had this 2000 since Monday .. so still tinkering.

Thanks have mine sitting at professional 2 and 33

Luminance in mode normal: 60! in mode normal, if you put this less than 60, your picture was too dark! Luminance 30 was for movies, not for broadcasts or documentaries!

Hello everyone, I'm an happy GZ1000 user! I've just setup a DLNA server from my Qnap NAS and everything seems to work pretty well except Dolby Vision content (mkv files).

When I watch HDR10+ content (es. Bohemian Rhapsody) I see a nice HDR10+ and the HDR(pq) logo in the bottom right corner but when I watch Dolby Vision content I only see the HDR(pq) text+logo, not the Dolby Vision logo.

Do I need to do activate "special" settings for Dolby Vision content? Please note that while I watch Netflix and Prime Video (TV apps) I see Dolby Vision logo on the top right corner.

Thank you!

I have a Panasonic TX-55GZ950B OLED TV since October 2019. I had the issued with the sound crackling initially, it settled with an update a few months ago. It has however started again and I have the software up to date. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, I'm an happy GZ1000 user! I've just setup a DLNA server from my Qnap NAS and everything seems to work pretty well except Dolby Vision content (mkv files).

When I watch HDR10+ content (es. Bohemian Rhapsody) I see a nice HDR10+ and the HDR(pq) logo in the bottom right corner but when I watch Dolby Vision content I only see the HDR(pq) text+logo, not the Dolby Vision logo.

Do I need to do activate "special" settings for Dolby Vision content? Please note that while I watch Netflix and Prime Video (TV apps) I see Dolby Vision logo on the top right corner.

Thank you!
How are your DV movies ripped?
If dual-layer, the TV won't read the secondary FHD (DV) layer.
The newest MakeMKV will rip discs to a single video layer that includes the DV metadata, but you still need to convert the Atmos track and then mux them to a TS container. Plex on the Shield Pro 2019 will be able to read the files properly, dunno about the TV's built-in player.
More info in post #6910 in this thread, with a link to the relevant thread in the MakeMKV forums.

For all you with GZ950/960/1500/2000, how is ATV4K DV output, no raised blacks like LGs?

Wondering since it's been established ATV4K can output both player and tv-led dolby vision but you can't manually change and LG have problems where the ATV sends playerled and the tv isn't optimized for it and therefore often have raised blacks since the PQ curve isn't followed correct.

And since panasonic is the other brand with hardware DV I wondered if they also have the problem. I don't think so since I probably would have read about it more.

On my sony oled there isn't a problem since the tv want only player-led DV but want to upgrade to panasonic in the future.

And another question for all you who have calibrated your tvs. Is the dolby vision bright also the mode that follows the PQ curve most correct like it is on LG and sony oleds? They recently found out that dolby vision dark isn't following the PQ curve and makes the picture a little too dark. And when they dug deeper they only recently found that dolby vision bright is the most correct mode, that is for LG and Sony anyways.

How is your metrics for DV bright vs dark on panasonic oleds?

For all you with GZ950/960/1500/2000, how is ATV4K DV output, no raised blacks like LGs?

Wondering since it's been established ATV4K can output both player and tv-led dolby vision but you can't manually change and LG have problems where the ATV sends playerled and the tv isn't optimized for it and therefore often have raised blacks since the PQ curve isn't followed correct.

And since panasonic is the other brand with hardware DV I wondered if they also have the problem. I don't think so since I probably would have read about it more.

On my sony oled there isn't a problem since the tv want only player-led DV but want to upgrade to panasonic in the future.

I changed from Sony XE93 to Pana GZ950 and there were no problems with ATV4K watching DV, from memory I just did a reset to factory on ATV4K.

And another question for all you who have calibrated your tvs. Is the dolby vision bright also the mode that follows the PQ curve most correct like it is on LG and sony oleds? They recently found out that dolby vision dark isn't following the PQ curve and makes the picture a little too dark. And when they dug deeper they only recently found that dolby vision bright is the most correct mode, that is for LG and Sony anyways.

Not had mine calibrated (as it is just so good OTB) but mine has always used DV Bright as I do not watch in very dark room, and it is fine for me.

I don't see elevated blacks on my GZ2000, with my ATV4K.

The pro calibration reports I've seen tend to use DV Dark but, that's not necessarily down to it following the PQ curve more faithfully than DV Bright does. I'll get round to calibrating DV on my GZ2000 at some point and will compare the two.
You'll note from a calibrated displays charts that Panasonic don't faithfully follow the PQ curve anyway. They roll into peak brightness more gradually, to preserve detail in the brighter areas.

It's also worth pointing out that unless you have a reference display sat beside your GZ and are watching the exact same content simultaneously, you'll not know whether the GZ is following the PQ curve faithfully, or not anyway. And even if you did have that set up, you may only notice a difference. Your eyes/ brain won't be able to distinguish the accuracy level.

Are you going to have your GZ calibrated?

Paul

Hello, I have had a 55GZ950 connect via HDMI 2 to my Marantz NR1601 AV AMP Monitor (ARC) port.

Viera Link is switched for all on TV and AMP has CEC switched on. I have connected with compliant HDMI cable AudioQuest Pearl.

Sound Settings

Speaker Selection = Home Cinema
Dolby Atmos= OFF
SPDIF Selection = AUTO

The issue:

When I try and use the AMP via ARC - Speaker Selection as Home Cinema to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime teh sound is sound is distrorted

On teh TV when I check the HDMI AUDIO FORMAT = Bitstream (Netflix) or Dolby Audio (prime video) ,

When I select HDMI Audio = PCM the sound is OK.

The Amp is detecting DD+ Netflix and Prime Video

No idea why its not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

for my part:
dolby atmos: OFF
surround: DOLBY SURROUND
bass boost ON!
150hz:-2
250hz: -1
500hz:-1
1k:0
2k:0
4k:-1
8k:-1
12k:0
tv volume: 34

Does anyone have any comments or experiences with my below quote?

Hi, I decided to watch some footy on my GZ1000 via my Apple TV 4K on BT Sport ultimate channel, whilst watching I played with the TV’s sound settings, I switched the hdmi audio format from auto to pcm not only did this switch the sound but it also switched the display setting from 4K to 4K HDR PQ and the picture obviously looked a lot better colour wise etc. I did not know switching the hdmi audio format would affect the display settings.

This is possibly irrelevant but I just wanted to let people know my experience with "banding" or "uniformity" (not sure of the actual term) with 5% grey slide.

Basically when I first bought my TV there was a significant large dark blob in the bottom left. Despite this being a ridiculously reckless purchase for someone in my position I decided I didn't want to go through with the hassle of returning and getting another one back and checking it again etc etc. This dark blob I was able to see maybe about 7 times during normal viewing (over the course of approx. 8 months).

I've not yet had the full compensation cycle but I checked a grey slide yesterday and the dark area has drastically reduced to the point where it's impossible to see on normal viewing content. There are some loading screens for which I used to be able to see the dark blob on the bottom left but it can't be seen anymore.

Just wanted to give some hope in case somebody is not happy with their screen uniformity. It certainly reduced in my case.

I got my gz950b tonight, Ive gone from the dx902b fald led which ive now put in my bedroom. its the first time Ive had an oled and Ive never seen dolby vision before. so far very good but Ive only tested Jumanji welcome to the jungle for dolby vision but looks very nice, no banding that I can see so I'm really pleased about that like i had on my old 902b, the remote from the 902b works as well which looks a better heavy duty version, I think the remote on this gz950b looks quite cheap in comparison.

Seems like small improvements. Me without a GZ thinks this is the time to update my 2018 sony :) Improved shadowdetail, better BFI over sony A8(H) for SDR and fixed posterization/banding in highlights sold it to me.

Too bad they can't fix the 24p stutter, how many of you see it on your GZ often? This is probably the biggest thing against lg/sony.

Seems like small improvements. Me without a GZ thinks this is the time to update my 2018 sony :) Improved shadowdetail, better BFI over sony A8(H) for SDR and fixed posterization/banding in highlights sold it to me.

Too bad they can't fix the 24p stutter, how many of you see it on your GZ often? This is probably the biggest thing against lg/sony.
I never seen the 24p stutter on my GZ950, when picture mode is Pro 2, I always match to source frame rate to the TV frame rate.

Like the cable layout on the back of HZ, Panasonic has finally listened to its customers.

Panasonic may add other new streaming services, let's see on May 26th with there server update!

Also Panasonic need to add DTS support for the IMAX Enhanced that will shortly needed on streaming platforms. Sony iMAX releases

If I didn't have GZ950, then I go for HZ when the price drops next year.

I’ve never noticed stutter on my 950. My Sony LED bedroom tv is apparently meant to have great motion but I find it stutters on loads of content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom