Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Could you please explain why is it so? I thought having it on ambient setting offered a more flexible solution, with light adjusting to the environment. Is this not the case?
Personally I don’t want the TV deciding to darken the picture randomly just because I am in a dark room or vice Ver so it’s bright crushing detail or messing with the picture as to how it was intended. I don’t think there is much intelligence in it. It’s not locked into preserving picture accuracy which I invested in through a calibration and to some extent is one of the things you get (high level of accuracy) out the box with the Panasonic’s.

maybe the new DV mode on 2020 models willl do it better with accuracy preserved.

Edit: Calibrators and such will turn them off along with other settings that will take the picture away from the level of accuracy allowing you to see What the director intended

but all that said if it works for someone and it’s a useful and you get a picture your happy with as with anything use it.

Last edited:
I haven't been on the thread for awhile, just had a system update for my 950. I thought i'd check to see what the updates specifically are, but they all just say improves stability, whatever that applies to ?? I think the pic looks even better, but perhaps i just want to belive that ! ?

I had the same thought since I have updated, I can't quite put my finger on what it is though, perhaps we have both gone mad lol.

A question I will ask at my calibration but interested to know what others do.
a lot of people say they use Pro1 in the day and Pro2 at night, or perhaps just one of them maybe with minor tweaks to luminosity or colour temperature.
but of course day to night is a gradual process. Are people constantly changing their settings? For example if you are watching a long film as it is getting dark. Or do you try to keep lighting conditions in the room the same for different times of the day?
i thought it was advisable to avoid using the ambient sensor, is that right?
cheers
I'm using Pro 1 with luminance at 60 (for SDR) for both day and night, any lower luminance level would be too dark for me (and wife! especially for day viewing.
The reason for this luminance level is that I got used to very bright FALD LCD which had backlight set on 50 out 100 and was already light canon.

I have noticed since the update that the ARC sound delivery to my amp is a bit sketchy. If I'm watching something like Sky and then switch to one of the inbuilt apps on the TV although the amp says TV Audio I don't get any sound. Have to do a full shutdown of everything and back on for it to come back to life.

Will check for an amp firmware update but although a bit of a pain I can live with it.

I have noticed since the update that the ARC sound delivery to my amp is a bit sketchy. If I'm watching something like Sky and then switch to one of the inbuilt apps on the TV although the amp says TV Audio I don't get any sound. Have to do a full shutdown of everything and back on for it to come back to life.

Will check for an amp firmware update but although a bit of a pain I can live with it.

That's interesting. I've started getting something like this connected to my soundbar via arc. When I switch to a different source etc I am finding that sounds disappears. I need to change source and back again to get it up and running again. Doesn't happen often but I was monitoring it, and hadn't associated it with the update.

That's interesting. I've started getting something like this connected to my soundbar via arc. When I switch to a different source etc I am finding that sounds disappears. I need to change source and back again to get it up and running again. Doesn't happen often but I was monitoring it, and hadn't associated it with the update.

I only get it with ARC (which I only use for internal apps). Everything else is connected directly into my amp. If I switch the amp to a different source or on\off it doesn't help. Even switch the TV off doesn't help only a complete switch off of everything seems to fix it.

I'm monitoring it as well and might do some proper testing over the weekend to confirm it. Am sure I only got it maybe once before the update and have had it every time I've switched since.

I only get it with ARC (which I only use for internal apps). Everything else is connected directly into my amp. If I switch the amp to a different source or on\off it doesn't help. Even switch the TV off doesn't help only a complete switch off of everything seems to fix it.

I'm monitoring it as well and might do some proper testing over the weekend to confirm it. Am sure I only got it maybe once before the update and have had it every time I've switched since.

cheers, I’ll do some testing too... will try to find a definite pattern

My soundbar isn't connected by ARC ( old Yamaha so use optical ) & I get a similar problem going to internal apps from watching Sky Q. I get constant sound dropouts & I've found the easiest way to get round it is to select an unused HDMI input first & then Netflix etc and that way the sound is perfect through the soundbar. Not quite the same problem as others are experiencing but likely connected in some way.

I just updated the firmware on my GZ950 to the latest version, i.e. Ver. 3.210.
My TV is connected to an AV receiver, Marantz SR7007.
Since the update ARC is unstable. I use Youtube a lot and audio randomly stops working.
Sometimes restarting the Youtube app is sufficient to restore audio, but most of the times I need to restart the TV, AV receiver or both. It's intermittent and I cannot reproduce it, and I find it very annoying.

Is there any way to roll back the firmware until Panasonic has fixed this?
Ver. 3.202 was running without problems.

Any help is appreciated,
Ton

My soundbar isn't connected by ARC ( old Yamaha so use optical ) & I get a similar problem going to internal apps from watching Sky Q. I get constant sound dropouts & I've found the easiest way to get round it is to select an unused HDMI input first & then Netflix etc and that way the sound is perfect through the soundbar. Not quite the same problem as others are experiencing but likely connected in some way.

The sound dropouts used to be an issue for lots of people - have you updated your firmware as that fixed it?

I used to get the dropouts\clicking with just the internal apps to my soundbar (before moving the TV to my other room with the amp). Moving to the amp solved that issue and I think the firmware update fixed it generally.

Did you try turning Sky off before opening the App? I do that as a matter of course. The only time I didn’t I got drop outs.

Sorry I don’t have a solution, but just on these ‘handshake’ issues, isn’t HDMI 2.1 meant to address the black-outs of both audio/video when switching inputs? I thought I read that if every device in your chain uses HDMI 2.1, then things will be a lot smoother. Which is probably going to be most people’s appreciated feature of the new standard (or one of anyway).

Is there a way to use a virtual keyboard (either on a smartphone or standalone) instead of having to use the TV remote to key in search terms in the YouTube app in our GZ?

Is there a way to use a virtual keyboard (either on a smartphone or standalone) instead of having to use the TV remote to key in search terms in the YouTube app in our GZ?
I don’t think so, but you can fire up YouTube on a mobile device, do your search on that & then cast the video to the TV.

I did a load of tests yesterday. Constantly switching between inputs, like sky q to Netflix, vice versa, ub820 internal apps to sky, disk to apps etc etc. Never lost audio once. Maybe I was imagining it....

Sorry I don’t have a solution, but just on these ‘handshake’ issues, isn’t HDMI 2.1 meant to address the black-outs of both audio/video when switching inputs? I thought I read that if every device in your chain uses HDMI 2.1, then things will be a lot smoother. Which is probably going to be most people’s appreciated feature of the new standard (or one of anyway).

I guess, in terms of audio issues, if you have the eArc feature of the hdmi 2.1 spec end to end then you could be less likely to have issues. But Panasonic have no plans to support this on the GZ series. I think the HZ will support eArc but we will have to rely on firmware to stabilise audio over ARC... I think...

Did you try turning Sky off before opening the App? I do that as a matter of course. The only time I didn’t I got drop outs.
Yes and that works as well. As long as the Sky HDMI input is isolated ( Sky box turned off or empty HDMI source selected ) before selecting eg: Netflix then it works fine. Bit of a nuisance but not the end of the world !

I'm having an issue where everytime I turn on the TV with my Harmony Remote using the Netflix button it asks to accept the "Terms and Conditions of Use" for the TV and then need to reinput my Netflix password? Any ideas how to resolve?

Yes, make sure you've downloaded the YouTube App on your phone, open it then open the App on the TV. A "screencast" symbol will appear at the top of your phone App which you push to connect the device to the TV. Once connected you can then use your phone as the remote for either typing or voice controlling the TV app. Alternatively you can select videos through the phone app then send that video to the TV. Works both ways.

I'm having an issue where everytime I turn on the TV with my Harmony Remote using the Netflix button it asks to accept the "Terms and Conditions of Use" for the TV and then need to reinput my Netflix password? Any ideas how to resolve?
Does the same thing happen with the GZ remote?

Checked your Netflix settings? Maybe there’s a security setting that’s logging you out automatically?

Does the same thing happen with the GZ remote?

Checked your Netflix settings? Maybe there’s a security setting that’s logging you out automatically?
Yes - seems to happen when the TV gets put into standby?

Yes - seems to happen when the TV gets put into standby?
It's ages since I've done it but are you positive there's nothing you have to tick to make it remember your password?

:facepalm: it was because in the Hotel Mode setting (to limit the maximum volume) there is an option to reset or keep private data (i.e. netflix login details)... switching to keep seems to have resolved it :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom