Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

It looks like the recent firmware update has fixed the issues I was having with dark scene content on Sky Q :thumbsup:
I'm also sure that the picture has improved in general (someone mentioned this earlier), motion seems better also.

It looks like the recent firmware update has fixed the issues I was having with dark scene content on Sky Q :thumbsup:
I'm also sure that the picture has improved in general (someone mentioned this earlier), motion seems better also.

Which issues with Q?

I am finding with the new FW that the aspect ratio isn't quite right. If I watch via native apps then all fine but if I watch via Prime stick or Roku I am see some horizontal letter boxing i.e. thin black bars to the left and right of the picture. Not the biggest issue but certainly wasn't there on previous FW as sticks out like the proverbial thumb.

Obviously I haven't tried with every conceivable input type but The Expanse (a Prime show) in 4k definitely exhibits this.

I am finding with the new FW that the aspect ratio isn't quite right. If I watch via native apps then all fine but if I watch via Prime stick or Roku I am see some horizontal letter boxing i.e. thin black bars to the left and right of the picture. Not the biggest issue but certainly wasn't there on previous FW as sticks out like the proverbial thumb.

Obviously I haven't tried with every conceivable input type but The Expanse (a Prime show) in 4k definitely exhibits this.
Can't say I've noticed that yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Is your pixel shifting setting turned on?

I use Shield and i have set for shield's own screensaver to come on after 5 minutes and completely sleep/turn off after 20minutes of inactivity BUT here is the problem -
once Shield is off, the "HDMI1" banner on top left stays on the tv for as long as 4 hours before the tv turns off. This obvoiusly is an issue right?

Why is the TV left on for long periods without anyone watching it ? Can you explain the circumstances that would lead to this being an issue to help us understand your problem ?

The obvious work-around for you would be to turn off the sleep option on your Shield, so that the Shield screensaver stays on. The Shield won't use much power and, personally, I'd rather that than leave anything static displayed on the TV for hours on end.

The screensaver "OLED" only works when I'm using the built-in TV App.

Is there anyway for this to come on even when using HDMI or other AV sources??

I use Shield and i have set for shield's own screensaver to come on after 5 minutes and completely sleep/turn off after 20minutes of inactivity BUT here is the problem -
once Shield is off, the "HDMI1" banner on top left stays on the tv for as long as 4 hours before the tv turns off. This obvoiusly is an issue right?

I have a small work around for "HDMI1" where i have renamed it to "." so there is no HDMI1, just a "." for 3 hours lol
I have the Shield pro 2019
When im finished watching i press the 2 circular buttons at the same time (back and home buttons) this puts shield to sleep and turns the GZ950 into standby with screen turning off , to continue using the shield i press any button on the shield remote

Why is the TV left on for long periods without anyone watching it ? Can you explain the circumstances that would lead to this being an issue to help us understand your problem ?

The obvious work-around for you would be to turn off the sleep option on your Shield, so that the Shield screensaver stays on. The Shield won't use much power and, personally, I'd rather that than leave anything static displayed on the TV for hours on end.

If I'm using the TV this doesn't happen.

However when I'm not home, wife or friends could be watching something and they'll pause it before leaving the room instead of turning off hoping they can start where they left off. This used to happen often in our previous house as that is how they used YouTube, Netflix and TV in general.

Previously on my LG this was okay as the tv screensaver will come on and no problem.

With Panasonic, screensaver only comes on when using native Netflix. This is a limitation and really should be coming on regardless what video source is being selected. I'm reasonably savvy with this TVs rules and limitations but sometimes it's hard to expect the same from someone who just want to use tv like they used to and me explaining all these rules of "don't pause TV, always turn off when you leave, never turn brightness up, always keep the curtains closed so sunlight won't fall on screen, take extra care when watching sports.." Etc seem a bit ridiculous for the amount of $$ tv.

When im finished watching i press the 2 circular buttons at the same time (back and home buttons) this puts shield to sleep and turns the GZ950 into standby with screen turning off , to continue using the shield i press any button on the shield remote

I will try that 2 button sleep with shield but how does the tv go into stand by straight away when shield goes to sleep?

I need some help urgently please. I am about to replace my TV in the next couple of days, and I have decided to go with the Panasonic TX-55GZ950B. On reviews I have read, it mentions that the TV has Satelite tuners, but does not support Freesat. I do not understand this. What are these tuners for then? Does it mean I cannot watch satelite feeds at all without a separate freesat box, or does it work but there are restrictions? Does anyone use this TV to view satelite feeds without using a freesat box? There is talk about lack of Freesat option. As I watch two different feeds currently (well, three, but the third has its own decoder and connects to the TV via HDMI), UK ones on Astra 28.2°E and German on Astra 1 at 19.2E this is rather important to me. I am not worried at all about the EPG issue discussed, I just want to know that I will be able to continue watching these two feeds if I buy the Panasonic without having to buy a separate freesat box. I have the satellite disks aligned to the right angles, obviously. Many thanks!
I have only just seen this request. Are you now sorted or do you need my experiences?

How do you get the TV to go into standby with screen turning off straight after shield goes to sleep? I thought it takes at least 10minutes for the "no signal turn off" to kick in.

Scenario 1: Using Shield 2018
-Pause Kodi/VLC movie
-Shield screensaver comes on. Tricky part was, I had to find a screensaver app that plays "local" images instead of images pulled from the internet. Because, if for some strange reason the Wifi is down, the screensaver doesn't work and just says something along the lines of "no network/error" etc and this message just stays there static. Work around was to download pictures into Shield local drive and use that for screensaver. Downside is I cannot use the "Aerial" screensaver the same as Apple TV.

Scenario 2: Using Shield/Apple TV
-Pause Kodi/VLC/Netflix etc
-After 5 minutes screensaver comes on, after 20 minutes device goes sleep BUT the static "HDMI1" will stay on for 10 mins because Auto turn off when no signal is after 10mins.

Scenario 3: Using Chromecast Ultra - **Most risky/damage prone**
There are times when casting to Shield built-in Cast just doesn't work and a bit buggy so for sports we just use the Google CC Ultra, works every time. Maybe Google chromecast has better coding and compatibility with some local sports apps? who knows.

-Pause live Football game/ or for testing purposes you can pause Youtube video played via Chromecast
-No screensaver comes on for 20mins. Tried to find settings to force the "Ambient" mode/screensaver mode to come on earlier than 20minutes of no activity but couldn't find any settings to configure the timeout. I just wish the 20mins could be reduced to 5minutes!

All of this would not have been an issue if the native screensaver comes on for every AV source or at least have the option to set the TV screensaver( the colourful "OLED") to come on.

How do you get the TV to go into standby with screen turning off straight after shield goes to sleep? I thought it takes at least 10minutes for the "no signal turn off" to kick in.

Scenario 1: Using Shield 2018
-Pause Kodi/VLC movie
-Shield screensaver comes on. Tricky part was, I had to find a screensaver app that plays "local" images instead of images pulled from the internet. Because, if for some strange reason the Wifi is down, the screensaver doesn't work and just says something along the lines of "no network/error" etc and this message just stays there static. Work around was to download pictures into Shield local drive and use that for screensaver. Downside is I cannot use the "Aerial" screensaver the same as Apple TV.

Scenario 2: Using Shield/Apple TV
-Pause Kodi/VLC/Netflix etc
-After 5 minutes screensaver comes on, after 20 minutes device goes sleep BUT the static "HDMI1" will stay on for 10 mins because Auto turn off when no signal is after 10mins.

Scenario 3: Using Chromecast Ultra - **Most risky/damage prone**
There are times when casting to Shield built-in Cast just doesn't work and a bit buggy so for sports we just use the Google CC Ultra, works every time. Maybe Google chromecast has better coding and compatibility with some local sports apps? who knows.

-Pause live Football game/ or for testing purposes you can pause Youtube video played via Chromecast
-No screensaver comes on for 20mins. Tried to find settings to force the "Ambient" mode/screensaver mode to come on earlier than 20minutes of no activity but couldn't find any settings to configure the timeout. I just wish the 20mins could be reduced to 5minutes!

All of this would not have been an issue if the native screensaver comes on for every AV source or at least have the option to set the TV screensaver( the colourful "OLED") to come on.
Pause whatever video app you're using (i use utube and Plex) then press the back+home circular buttons together on shield remote and the shield sleeps and tv goes into standby immediately (red or orange led on TV)

If the above does not work check you have the shield sleep settings correctly set.

I personally would not let anything stay paused on screen for more than 30secs and would rather sleep the Shield , then i press any button on the remote to wake the shield and then unpause the video and continue where i left off

(I found pressing the single designated power button on the 2019 remote does not put the tv in standby and leaves the tv's HDMI1 logo in the top left of screen so i don"t use that button)

Last edited:
I have only just seen this request. Are you now sorted or do you need my experiences?

I bought the TV, and just connected one satellite (Astra 19.2E) for the German feed and use DVB for the UK channels (the Eutelsat 9E for the Greek feed comes in on its own decoder and feeds in to the TV via HDMI). I did this as someone said that, although there are two tuners for satellite, they have to be feeds from the same satellite as it is for watching one program while recording a different one.

I am more than happy to read any information you might have that will allow me to have Astra 28.E too though.

Thanks again!

Pause whatever video app you're using (i use utube and Plex) then press the back+home circular buttons together on shield remote and the shield sleeps and tv goes into standby immediately (red or orange led on TV)

If the above does not work check you have the shield sleep settings correctly set.

I personally would not let anything stay paused on screen for more than 30secs and would rather sleep the Shield , then i press any button on the remote to wake the shield and then unpause the video and continue where i left off

(I found pressing the single designated power button on the 2019 remote does not put the tv in standby and leaves the tv's HDMI1 logo in the top left of screen so i don"t use that button)

Fixed the Shield settings, now TV goes to standby when Shield sleep straight away, same as Apple TV.

When watching sports with static scoreboards, I use "Professional Photo" viewing mode where luminance is 30.

Wouldn't this reduce the risk of burn in to almost 0? Surely it's unlikely to get burn in with luminance set that low?

Just get a Harmony and link in with Alexa. Once finished watching whatever you just say “Alexa, turn off Tv/Netflix/PS4” and everything switches off automatically so no risk of images being left on the TV.

I can guarantee it’s wife and 5yr old son friendly :)

Just get a Harmony and link in with Alexa. Once finished watching whatever you just say “Alexa, turn off Tv/Netflix/PS4” and everything switches off automatically so no risk of images being left on the TV.

I can guarantee it’s wife and 5yr old son friendly :)

I can do that without Harmony remote and just Google Assistant? It says gz1000 is compatible with Google Assistant.

I can do that without Harmony remote and just Google Assistant? It says gz1000 is compatible with Google Assistant.

Possibly, not sure but I presume you can switch it on and off maybe.
I use the Harmony as it controls all my amp switching and also turns on and off things like Bluray and media player and lights etc... Basically an all in one on and off command. I don't even use the harmony remote, just have the hub plugged in and use voice commands.

Hello everyone!

I am new here. I have been reading AVFORUMS for at least 2 years. I am planning to buy a new TV this year. I have had a 55B6 LG Oled since 2016. My main question is about shadow detail. New GZ series are better known for shadow detail retrieval from what I read.

If I want to see more shadow detail in my current 55B6 I need to click in luminescence level above 50. Then I have more shadow detail but equally I have more visible atrefacts (macro blocks, color banding...) especially in low quality content.

If I bought GZ series (GZ950) would I have more shadow detail in standard luminescence level that will be cleaner and without any artefacts?

Any responses will be valuable :)

Hello everyone!

I am new here. I have been reading AVFORUMS for at least 2 years. I am planning to buy a new TV this year. I have had a 55B6 LG Oled since 2016. My main question is about shadow detail. New GZ series are better known for shadow detail retrieval from what I read.

If I want to see more shadow detail in my current 55B6 I need to click in luminescence level above 50. Then I have more shadow detail but equally I have more visible atrefacts (macro blocks, color banding...) especially in low quality content.

If I bought GZ series (GZ950) would I have more shadow detail in standard luminescence level that will be cleaner and without any artefacts?

Any responses will be valuable :)

Yes one of the main improvements is extra shadow detail...watch the av forums review on the 950

I see posts about how many hours you've used the TV for, can this be accessed on the 950, for the sake of curiosity.

Can anyone help me with a background issue? (Can't find how to start anew thread!)
I have set up my picture and everything looks great but when playing 4:3 or letterbox movies the 'black' part of the screen is showing dark grey i.e. it is partially lit. The blacks in the movie are great though. Surely these pixels should be off when they have no signal.
My previous Sony LCD border was darker than this!

Can anyone help me with a background issue? (Can't find how to start anew thread!)
I have set up my picture and everything looks great but when playing 4:3 or letterbox movies the 'black' part of the screen is showing dark grey i.e. it is partially lit. The blacks in the movie are great though. Surely these pixels should be off when they have no signal.
My previous Sony LCD border was darker than this!

that doesn’t sound right. Mine are always completely black. What picture mode are you using? Have made any radical changes to default settings? You could try resetting everything back to factory default, or switching the tv off with tv physical on/off button, leaving it for a while and then back on...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom