Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Question what settings do you all leave the logo protection on ?
Min, mid or max.
Cheers

Max. Haven't noticed any obvious detrimental side-effects and figured the more protection the better.

Sorry for my confusion.. I leave HDR settings of 100.. It's non standard HDR stuff I turn down.

Sorry mate I'm still confused, hope you don't mind all the questions.

I'm not referring to HDR settings. I'm referring to the "Viewing Mode" settings that are already pre set by the TV for "Luminance". Please see the screenshot :)

And please advise if these are
Viewing Mode screenshot.jpg
okay to be left on 100 as set by the TV?

Sorry mate I'm still confused, hope you don't mind all the questions.

I'm not referring to HDR settings. I'm referring to the "Viewing Mode" settings that are already pre set by the TV for "Luminance". Please see the screenshot :)

And please advise if these are View attachment 1250308okay to be left on 100 as set by the TV?

Ask as many as you like I’ll try and help mate.

It’s really only in HDR and dynamic mode that setting will be on 100. You can if you want to adjust to personal taste.

But watching with a 100 all the time won’t be good for the TVs life span.
I would use preset pro2 up luminance to say 50 max and not worry about every agsin.

Ask as many as you like I’ll try and help mate.

It’s really only in HDR and dynamic mode that setting will be on 100. You can if you want to adjust to personal taste.

But watching with a 100 all the time won’t be good for the TVs life span.
I would use preset pro2 up luminance to say 50 max and not worry about every agsin.

Right okay, so yes most of not all the content we watch are in HDR at least and trying to find DV content whenever possible. Hardly ever watch 1080p content and never watch SDR at all.

I cannot remember changing the luminance levels. However, if I want reset these "Viewing mode" settings, how do I do it? Other than resetting the whole TV!? (shipping condition? Hopefully not because that means I have to log into every apps again, WiFi settings etc)

@brownie221 My EZ952 is coming up on three years old and 4500 hours and doesn't have any burn at all. I think if you're sensible and don't indulge in hours of HDR gaming with fixed head-up display graphics on the screen you're not going to have any problems, especially as your screen is even less prone to burn than mine.

Right okay, so yes most of not all the content we watch are in HDR at least and trying to find DV content whenever possible. Hardly ever watch 1080p content and never watch SDR at all.

I cannot remember changing the luminance levels. However, if I want reset these "Viewing mode" settings, how do I do it? Other than resetting the whole TV!? (shipping condition? Hopefully not because that means I have to log into every apps again, WiFi settings etc)

If you watch a lot of HDR movies I really wouldn't worry.. It's news channels with big static logos which causes most damage.
Movies in HDR have no such huds.. Enjoyr your tv mate and don't do a reset. .

Perfect thank you very much.
@brownie221 My EZ952 is coming up on three years old and 4500 hours and doesn't have any burn at all. I think if you're sensible and don't indulge in hours of HDR gaming with fixed head-up display graphics on the screen you're not going to have any problems, especially as your screen is even less prone to burn than mine.

Perfect thank you very much.
Yes, only HDR movies and TV series like Witcher/Mandalorian etc. Don't really game either.

If you watch a lot of HDR movies I really wouldn't worry.. It's news channels with big static logos which causes most damage.
Movies in HDR have no such huds.. Enjoyr your tv mate and don't do a reset. .

Great!
Is there anyway to turn off the "HDMI1" logo at all? Or even a timer if say few seconds after it is displayed?

Sometimes the Nvidia Shield could go to sleep but TV screen just stays on with the HDMI1 on it.

Is there anyway to turn off the "HDMI1" logo at all? Or even a timer if say few seconds after it is displayed?

Sometimes the Nvidia Shield could go to sleep but TV screen just stays on with the HDMI1 on it.

I think 'HDMI1' would only be displayed if you had that AV channel selected and it wasn't receiving a signal.

I can't think of many scenarios where this would be a problem. It really wouldn't be advisable to leave an OLED running while no-one was watching, especially if you couldn't guarantee that static images wouldn't be displayed for too long.

I think 'HDMI1' would only be displayed if you had that AV channel selected and it wasn't receiving a signal.

I can't think of many scenarios where this would be a problem. It really wouldn't be advisable to leave an OLED running while no-one was watching, especially if you couldn't guarantee that static images wouldn't be displayed for too long.

For example when using built-in applications like Netflix or playing videos from USB etc, the built-in screen saver called pixel shifter gets triggered automatically however if I am using the TV for HDMI 1 or anything other than live TV or built-in applications the pixel shifter does not come on.

Any idea why is that or any idea how to get the pixel shifter "OLED" to turn on regardless if it is on HDMI or built in apps were being used at the time?

Any idea why is that or any idea how to get the pixel shifter "OLED" to turn on regardless if it is on HDMI or built in apps were being used at the time?

Presumably, the technology the TV employs to detect a still image and bring up the 'OLED' screensaver only works with the TV's own apps. I don't think it can be used on any of the AV channels, which is a shame.

Presumably, the technology the TV employs to detect a still image and bring up the 'OLED' screensaver only works with the TV's own apps. I don't think it can be used on any of the AV channels, which is a shame.

That is shame! :(

Obviously I don't just leave the tv on for ages but sometimes streaming Spotify on the Nvidia Shield you leave that on and in the other room etc so pretty easy to have static images. On my old LG the screen saver comes on regardless of what AV it is on, whether apps or usb or live tv or plugged into HDMI etc.

Would be great to get a few of the little "would be good basic features" to get via firmware update.

Obviously I don't just leave the tv on for ages but sometimes streaming Spotify on the Nvidia Shield you leave that on and in the other room etc so pretty easy to have static images.

In that situation, I would probably turn the screen off, via Menu - Picture - Screen Settings - Screen Display - On/Off

In that situation, I would probably turn the screen off, via Menu - Picture - Screen Settings - Screen Display - On/Off

I found that option and yes will use it more often however may I ask if that function could be triggered with 1 button press instead of having to press 5 times on the remote? Maybe like a short cut on the remote or something like that?

Could someone explain this-

When playing an MKV with HDR & Dolby Atmos, the "info/i" button states that picture is currently on HDR/PQ mode AND Atmos.

But my TV speakers are turned off and the sound is coming out of a soundbar which doesn't have Atmos. How and why is the TV showing Dolby Atmos logo?

Like for example if I play an HDR MKV from the NVidia Shield, the TV only shows the HDR/PQ logo and not the Dolby Atmos logo because obvious reasons. But if the same file is played via USB directly from the TV, I can see the Atmos logo as well as HDR/PQ logo.

Also, when playing the same file directly from the TV USB, the HDR/PQ logo comes up together with the "rainbow circle" showing that the file is 4k HDR. But when playing from NVidia Shield, the "rainbow circle" doesn't come up however the player says it is HDR as well as the "info/i" button says 3840 2160p/PQ. Any idea why?

@brownie221 luminance on HDR should always be left at 100, it's SDR which it's advised to be lower. I have my Pro 2 upped to 45 as @thedoswells mentioned.

I too am a little paranoid about screen burn. But as @steverobertsbbc mentioned, unless you reguarly leave bright news bars or logos etc on screen then screen burn shouldn't really be an issue. I have disabled HDR on my Xbox and have lowered the brightness a little on the "Game" picture preset so I don't have to worry about it.

The "OLED" thing you're talking about is the screensaver, not pixel shift. It's true that the screensaver only works with the built in apps, but most external devices have their own screensavers. The Nvidia shield does, you can set it down to 5 mins to minimise it. Pixel shift will still be active and help prevent burn in by shifting pixels left/right/up/down etc.

I also try to press back after pausing Netflix on HDR to stop the bright triangle play symbol being on for too long.

The soundbar won't pass HDR10+ from the UB450 through to the TV. So to get the TV to display HDR10+, you will need to connect both HDMI ports.

1. HDMI video to the TV (supports HDR10/HDR10+/DV)
2. HDMI audio to the soundbar (Supports lossless Atmos/DTS:X)

This I how I have it connected up to my AVR.
thank you. i didn't know i also have pay attention to that. so when i connect 4k player to tv and soundbar to 4k player i will be able to get lossless dolby atmost, dts x and also tv will be able to show hdr10+ and dolby vision?

thank you. i didn't know i also have pay attention to that. so when i connect 4k player to tv and soundbar to 4k player i will be able to get lossless dolby atmost, dts x and also tv will be able to show hdr10+ and dolby vision?
Yeah, there's not many soundbars that support HDR10+ passthrough at the moment and no AVRs that do yet.

But there's also not a huge number of UHD discs with HDR10+ yet. Out of the 183 I have, I think only 5 or so are HDR10+. Whereas at least 40-50 are DV.

But since the TV and player support it, it's worth connecting both HDMI outputs to be able to play all formats of audio/HDR and not worry about it.

Yeah, there's not many soundbars that support HDR10+ passthrough at the moment and no AVRs that do yet.

But there's also not a huge number of UHD discs with HDR10+ yet. Out of the 183 I have, I think only 5 or so are HDR10+. Whereas at least 40-50 are DV.

But since the TV and player support it, it's worth connecting both HDMI outputs to be able to play all formats of audio/HDR and not worry about it.
thanks!

Has anyone updated firmware via usb, ive downloaded it but instructions are different to my menus, mine is 3.2 and tv says it's up to date
Edit..sorted.

Last edited:
I have a problem.
I want to upgrade to 65"
View attachment 1250519
Not listening... I'm not listening
:eek:
Dont most of us 55" folks :)

Its only now with the TV on the wall and the main movie room set up as I should have had it for the last 8 years in this house I realise its more than big enough for 55 and yes £500 more would have avoided these pangs for more..... however if we'd spent that money already there would be nothing to be buying in 9 months time when the price on the 65"HZ series starts to drop :)
You wouldn't want to miss that fun. There's always another room that can take the cast-off.

What’s your viewing distance to The Precious, Gollum?

How did you sort it?
I think the file corrupted somehow, I unzipped it again and as soon as I plugged it in, the update started.

Hi Guys,

I’m cautiously considering investing in Apple TV for my 65GZ950... any of you had any issues with movement juddering or soap opera effect with ATV? If so is there a work around...I’d also love to hear if the DV letter boxes lighting up happens with the GZ950.

The picture on my UHD’s through my UB900 is incredible, I love it! But my wife is starting to moan about the space/room my discs are taking up 🤪 And you know, getting up to put a disc on is a really pain... (God help the human race)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom