Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

@gadgetman

You only need to set two settings on the Oppo. One, secondary audio should be set to off and HDMI Audio format should be set to bitstream.

Then one cable from the main HDMI Out on the Oppo to the TV. Another cable from the HDMI Out (Audio Only) to an HDMI In on the receiver. It does not matter which HDMI In on the receiver, but as the poster above says you might as well use the Bluray In. It is only named that for convenience, it is no different than any of the other HDMI Ins.

Then just select the appropriate inputs on your TV and receiver when you want to play. That should work otherwise something is wrong and you'll have to trouble shoot; different cables, different inputs etc...

From discs right?

Because the Netflix App on the 820 also doesn't support full Atmos (actually, it doesn't send any Atmos in my case, but that's to do with my older AVR not detecting the flag from the 820).

yes, just from disks. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. Streaming services like Netflix are always lossy regardless of the source, as far as I’m aware :smashin:

Ive a similar set up to Umphar andalso have concerns about lack of HDR0+ thru my Denon 3400 amp, obviously no upgrade with the 3500!)

How is the TV Netfix app 'better' than that on the UB820? I understand from a previous post that it outputs the 'native frame rate' on the TV app as opposed to a fixed 60fps on the 820. Any other benefits in using the TV app?
Most of the Denon AVR will get firmware update to support HDR10+ shortly.

Denon technology training

You don’t need HDMI audio in, just put the cable in the dvd/bluray in and switch to the input on the amp. Should get sound when using the Blu-ray player once you set HDMI audio out on the oppo

Yea that is what i would think but no if i switch to like you say dvd/bluray input i need to switch to HDMI 2 on the TV where video cable from oppo to TV is. No way you can link them up, as the above post mentioned i hope the denon does get the HDR10+ firmware update because this is the only reason i am trying to sort the above out.

Most of the Denon AVR will get firmware update to support HDR10+ shortly.

Denon technology training
A very interesting video thanks!

Although my take on it is that he was saying that only eARC and ALLM will be added by firmware to existing models.

HDR10+, 8K, 4K120, VRR, QFT and QMS will be added to future receivers which will have full 2.1 chipsets.

I'm annoyed by the wrong green and orange on this TV and some weird brown tinting. You may not notice this without a side by side comparison with another TV but I'm already doing a side by side for 6 days with XG9505 and XG9505 has more correct green and orange.

AVforums review of GZ2000 shows it nicely from 12:41 on

Also scenes that are supposed to look more blue or green look way too brown, which is again nicely shown in the above video from 14:34 on

This is exactly how GZ950 looks compared to XG9505, so this scenes are clearly more correct on XG9505 because they look a lot like the refecence OLED monitor.

I can't come close to XG9505 with green and orange colour no matter what I do with them, even stratuation, luminance and hue dont fix it.

Of course if you don't have another TV to compare you think all colours are fantastic but I have XG950 for comparison and now that I know this colours on GZ950 are wrong it's bothering me a lot.

While watching Ad Astra 1080p orange like Mars was wrong on GZ950, it was red orange while on XG9505 was green orange. I also compared the same movie in 4k HDR and orange and Mars did look on both GZ950 and XG9505 exactly as on XG9505 SDR, so Gz950 has to be wrong. Orange just looks to red and again if I try to change the hue of red and yellow to make the orange correct some other colours like yellow, mix between yellow and red will display wrong, you just can't fix them with hue.

Could I fix this if I would calibrate the TV with colorimeter?

Last edited:
agreed as above. Connect an hdmi to your tv from the 820 and audio out hdmi to your avr. You’ll get full atmos from the player with a suitable disk, but not from Netflix as it Won’t provide full atmos anyway. May as well use the app on the tv which is much better
Thank you all for replies and sorry if this may sound daft but still little bit confused . When using 820 player watching 4K disc ( with atoms soundtrack ) Would I still get losless atmos ( best atmos ) if using one cable from 820 into AVR then AVR to tv as the audio would come out via speakers from the AVR . Hope this makes sense , just not want to disturb all the wiring if routing a second hdmi cable makes no difference in watching a Dolby atmos 4K film from blu ray player .

I'm annoyed by the wrong green and orange on this TV and some weird brown tinting. You may not notice this without a side by side comparison with another TV but I'm already doing a side by side for 6 days with XG9505 and XG9505 has more correct green and orange.

AVforums review of GZ2000 shows it nicely from 12:41 on

Also scenes that are supposed to look more blue or green look way too brown, which is again nicely shown in the above video from 14:34 on

This is exactly how GZ950 looks compared to XG9505, so this scenes are clearly more correct on XG9505 because they look a lot like the refecence OLED monitor.

I can't come close to XG9505 with green and orange colour no matter what I do with them, even stratuation, luminance and hue dont fix it.

Of course if you don't have another TV to compare you think all colours are fantastic but I have XG950 for comparison and now that I know this colours on GZ950 are wrong it's bothering me a lot.

While watching Ad Astra 1080p orange like Mars was wrong on GZ950, it was red orange while on XG9505 was green orange. I also compared the same movie in 4k HDR and orange and Mars did look on both GZ950 and XG9505 exactly as on XG9505 SDR, so Gz950 has to be wrong. Orange just looks to red and again if I try to change the hue of red and yellow to make the orange correct some other colours like yellow, mix between yellow and red will display wrong, you just can't fix them with hue.

Could I fix this if I would calibrate the TV with colorimeter?

Check out VT review below, the GZ950 is has perfect colour out of the box, just got to change the picture mode to pro 2(dark room) or pro 1.

I have GZ950 and if I compare it with my Panny professional plasma it's perfect, and much better I would say.

HDTVTEST GZ950 review

Yea that is what i would think but no if i switch to like you say dvd/bluray input i need to switch to HDMI 2 on the TV where video cable from oppo to TV is. No way you can link them up, as the above post mentioned i hope the denon does get the HDR10+ firmware update because this is the only reason i am trying to sort the above out.
I use a Harmony remote and this all switched automatically.

You maybe able to use CEC to program the TV or Receiver remote to control both devices but I have no idea on that.

Check out VT review below, the GZ950 is has perfect colour out of the box, just got to change the picture mode to pro 2(dark room) or pro 1.

I have GZ950 and if I compare it with my Panny professional plasma it's perfect, and much better I would say.

HDTVTEST GZ950 review

I expected this kind of answer, I have seen Vincent's review.

Did you see the scenes in the avforums video review I posted? It's very different compared to Sony refercence OLED moniotor in this scenes and it looks exactly the same compared to XG9505 and I have on Professional 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Thank you all for replies and sorry if this may sound daft but still little bit confused . When using 820 player watching 4K disc ( with atoms soundtrack ) Would I still get losless atmos ( best atmos ) if using one cable from 820 into AVR then AVR to tv as the audio would come out via speakers from the AVR . Hope this makes sense , just not want to disturb all the wiring if routing a second hdmi cable makes no difference in watching a Dolby atmos 4K film from blu ray player .

Hi. Yes what you are saying is correct. The hdmi from the 820 to your avr will allow lossless atmos so you will get it assuming you're avr supports Atmos. Using the one cable to the avr is fine and then avr to TV via arc. I don't do it like that on my setup because my soundbar doesn't pass thru DV or hdmi10+, and many disks with Atmos will also include that format, which I would lose by doing that. But if your avr supports Atmos, and DV and hdmi10+ passthru, then you'll get full Atmos from applicable disks on the 820 and lossy Atmos from e.g. Netflix with the way you've set it up...

I use a Harmony remote and this all switched automatically.

You maybe able to use CEC to program the TV or Receiver remote to control both devices but I have no idea on that.

No this is not my issue i have a harmony remote nothing to do with this issue. I mean i can watch video from the oppo but get no sound through amp because the audio is routed to another input on amp eg bluray hdmi. No way you can have video with audio because the video from oppo is in hdmi 2 on TV.

No way you can have video with audio because the video from oppo is in hdmi 2 on TV.
But it works simultaneously!

You can send video to the TV and audio to the AMP at the same time. I have no issue with this setup whatsoever.

Technically HDMI needs both audio and video pins active to work but that is another topic and not relevant to this.

If it is not working then there is something wrong with the cables, ports etc... as per my post above.

But it works simultaneously!

You can send video to the TV and audio to the AMP at the same time. I have no issue with this setup whatsoever.

Technically HDMI needs both audio and video pins active to work but that is another topic and not relevant to this.

If it is not working then there is something wrong with the cables, ports etc... as per my post above.

Thanks for reply's but i give up.

Hi. Yes what you are saying is correct. The hdmi from the 820 to your avr will allow lossless atmos so you will get it assuming you're avr supports Atmos. Using the one cable to the avr is fine and then avr to TV via arc. I don't do it like that on my setup because my soundbar doesn't pass thru DV or hdmi10+, and many disks with Atmos will also include that format, which I would lose by doing that. But if your avr supports Atmos, and DV and hdmi10+ passthru, then you'll get full Atmos from applicable disks on the 820 and lossy Atmos from e.g. Netflix with the way you've set it up...
Thank you so much for your reply , makes perfect sense to me now . My AVR does support atmos , Dolby vision, and hdr10 but not hdr10+ . Not too worried about hdr10+ as most disks support Dolby vision etc . Ok cool I will keep my set up as it is as my AVR supports and let’s pass through if the above .

I think your getting confused.
Oppo HDMI Audio out to the Denon.
Oppo HDMI Video out you the TV.
Switch TV to the input from the oppo.
Switch Denon to the input you put the oppo Audio output into.

That’s pretty much it. No video is being sent through the Denon.

I expected this kind of answer, I have seen Vincent's review.

Did you see the scenes in the avforums video review I posted? It's very different compared to Sony refercence OLED moniotor in this scenes and it looks exactly the same compared to XG9505 and I have on Professional 1 and 2.
Yes.

Any OLED will not match £30K Sony reference monitor for colour accuracy, but it comes pretty close if you have good source material ie. UHD 4k HDR blyray.

My 65GZ950 looks truly beautiful on 4K UHD HDR movies, I have not seen anything better, the GZ2000 was too bright for my taste.

As with high end Hifi, you need to put on few hundred hours of panel use before the panny picture readly sings, that's what professional calibraters say...

Last edited:
Yes.

Any OLED will not match £30K Sony reference monitor for colour accuracy, but it comes pretty close if you have good source material ie. UHD 4k HDR blyray.

My 65GZ950 looks truly beautiful on 4K UHD HDR movies, I have not seen anything better, the GZ2000 was too bright for my taste.

As with high end Hifi, you need to put on few hundred hours of panel use before the panny picture readly sings, that's what professional calibraters say...

But XG9505 green colour look just like on reference monitor in comparison to GZ950 and orange looks better aswell and it doesn't have this brown tinting like Gz950 has in some scenes. GZ950 just isn't as superior in colours as reviews and some people say, at least not compared to Sony. Having green colours this much off is really weird.

But XG9505 green colour look just like on reference monitor in comparison to GZ950 and orange looks better aswell and it doesn't have this brown tinting like Gz950 has in some scenes. GZ950 just isn't as superior in colours as reviews and some people say, at least not compared to Sony. Having green colours this much off is really weird.
As VT states should never compare performance of TVs based on how they look on YouTube.

VT is a world renowned professional calibrater, and uses very expensive equipment to measure the performance of TVs he reviews and has even reviewed the Sony reference monitor, so I believe what he says is true, and I can see the same with my own eyes on my own tv.

As VT states should never compare performance of TVs based on how they look on YouTube.

VT is a world renowned professional calibrater, and uses very expensive equipment to measure the performance of TVs he reviews and has even reviewed the Sony reference monitor, so I believe what he says is true, and I can see the same with my own eyes on my own tv.

I have XG9505 and GZ950 at home! I'm comparing them in real life and the comparison in colours looks just like between GZ2000 and the Sony reference monitor, same difference between greens and WB tint, it can't be a coincidence!

I have XG9505 and GZ950 at home! I'm comparing them in real life and the comparison in colours looks just like between GZ2000 and the Sony reference monitor, same difference between greens and WB tint, it can't be a coincidence!

all I can say is that if you believe your gz950 is very wrong for certain colours, and much worse than the xg9505 then I think there must be something wrong with your gz950. The gz series are about as accurate as anything to reference colours, but of course not like a true reference monitor.
My 950 looks extremely natural to me.

all I can say is that if you believe your gz950 is very wrong for certain colours, and much worse than the xg9505 then I think there must be something wrong with your gz950. The gz series are about as accurate as anything to reference colours, but of course not like a true reference monitor.
My 950 looks extremely natural to me.

Like I said greens are wrong, way too warm and orange is way too red and avforums videos show this aswell so there is nothing wrong with my GZ950. You just don't have another good TV to make a direct comparison like I do. My XE9005 also has the same greens like XG9505 and so did Xf9005 which I returned. GZ950 is the only one off.

Like I said greens are wrong, way too warm and orange is way too red and avforums videos show this aswell so there is nothing wrong with my GZ950. You just don't have another good TV to make a direct comparison like I do. My XE9005 also has the same greens like XG9505 and so did Xf9005 which I returned. GZ950 is the only one off.

Ok I accept that. It must be that I and thousands of other people, including professional colourists, are wrong. I'm very happy with my 950 but suggest you get rid of yours.

Your only solution here would be calibration, but I'd be willing to put money on the XG9505 being the one that's out on accuracy. It sounds to me that you've grown accustomed to a 'cooler' image on that set, hence the GZ appearing 'brown'. As previous poster has said, you can't do a reliable comparison of the XG9505 to the image in a video review for all sorts of reasons.

Having said that I would check the colour space is set correctly on the GZ for whatever you're watching (generally Rec 709 for SDR, Rec 2020 for HDR as I understand it). Should change automatically but I've had a couple of occasions where it has changed to 'Native' and the colours have been off). It may be due to my use of the Panasonic Remote 2 app on an android phone.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom