Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

None of the streaming services Netflix or Amazon Prime stream in lossless atmos just lossy atmos so eARK doesn't matter even the apps on your UHD player your still getting lossy atmos.
Netflix & Amazon use Dolby Digital+ with Atmos layer. True Atmos is recreated via 5.1 or 7.1 and I think 32 channels in a Cinema creating up 128 objects in the mix. With 4k UHD Discs it used with Dolby True HD as the Base layer with Dolby Audio Codecs and Advanced Scaled Algorithms to create that 3D Object based Immersion.

Had an issue with my GZ950 recently, where the TV's response to the remote buttons became slow and sluggish.

Pressing volume up, for example, would lead to a small delay of around 0.5 to 1 sec before the TV showed a volume increase and a further delay (another 0.5 to 1 sec) before the amp volume (via ARC) actually increased.

'Now and Next' data would also be affected, with the delay causing the wrong program data to be displayed alongside an adjacent channel number.

Thankfully - just like the Freeview Play bug - switching the TV on and off via the rear buttons fixed it.

(Whispers) Still on the EZ. Don't tell them on here, they'll throw me off for not being a GZ owner! :p
[/QUOTE

The picture on the EZ is still excellent, bit disappointed we haven't had the promised hdr10+ update, any news on this?

I use freesat so am disappointed to hear the newer models don't include it anymore, or is it still possible to view but without an epg?

Finally, have you discovered any further picture tweeks on the ez to get it even better?

Kind regards,
Tvfan888

Hello from France friends :)

I bought a 55GZ2000.

I have two questions:

Do you know if the 55 inches still have a uniformity problem with yellow stripes? (I think the 65 inches are more affected...)

I have a YAS207 sound bar (sound bar and subwoofer) is it better than the integrated system?

thank you :)

I've seen the posts about HDMI eARC not being supported and no update happening. Is it not possible or Panasonic just don't want to do it? Does this mean that if I bought an Atmos soundbar or system I wouldn't actually be able to send it the Dolby Atmos from Netflix?

Regular ARC sends ATMOS to my oldish AVR via HDMI. So eARC isn't needed if this is all you want to do.

Last edited:
Regular ARC sends ATMOS to my oldish AVR via HDMI. So eARC isn't needed if this is all want to do.
eARC only needed if you want to use the tv as HDMI input switch, if you want lossless audio (DTS TrueHD, DTS-X or IMAX enhanced) from example UHD 4K blyray player, then simply plug it directly into your AVR, and it will decode the audio in wonderful lossless audio.

Then connect the output of your AVR to HDMI 2 (ARC) of the tv, so tv audio (freeview and Netflix) lossy audio can be sent back to the AVR, by setting the audio settings to Home theater.

if you want lossless audio (DTS TrueHD, DTS-X or IMAX enhanced) from example UHD 4K blyray player, then simply plug it directly into your AVR, and it will decode the audio in wonderful lossless audio.

Yep, I’ve one HDMI from the player into the AVR for audio, & the other HDMI from the player into the TV (HDMI 1) for video, because my AVR can’t pass through Dolby Vision.

Then connect the output of your AVR to HDMI 2 (ARC) of the tv, so tv audio (freeview and Netflix) lossy audio can be sent back to the AVR, by setting the audio settings to Home theater.

I then use HDMI 2 of TV to the AVR for Netflix.
:smashin:

Hello all .
my set up is Gz950 tv , 820 Panasonic 4K uhd player , sky q and denon avr3500 consisting of 5.1.2 set up . everything is connected via hdmi cables into AVR and 1 hdmi out from AVR into hdmi 2 input on gz950 tv . On the 820 player it has 2 hdmi outputs , audio and audio / video. The AVR is 4K enabled and allow atoms , Dolby vision and hdr 10 pass through etc . ( not hdr10+). I have only used one hdmi cable from blu ray player into AVR as per instructions state etc . But is it possible that I’m getting lossless atoms at all ? Not sure if it’s best to use Netflix app on tv or blu ray player? But reading from above comments it seems some have used 2 hdmi cables from uhd player. Sorry if this is daft question and hope you people can help me . Thank you in advice for taking your time in reading this and answering .

If you want HDR10+ you'll need to use 2 cables. Video to the TV and audio to the receiver. I'm setup that way.

If you want HDR10+ you'll need to use 2 cables. Video to the TV and audio to the receiver. I'm setup that way.
Even though my AVR does not support hdr10 + ? Thank for reply but main question is about lossy atoms etc

Just hijacking, i have tried the above from my oppo 203 to a denon 2310. How do you get the audio with picture no matter what i try does not work, no option to change HDMI setting on the denon for audio out to the connected HDMI 2 in my setup.

Even though my AVR does not support hdr10 + ? Thank for reply but main question is about lossy atoms etc
HDR10+ is a video format and the TV will handle that irrespective of the receiver, hence the second cable. You should get lossles Atmos just fine on the audio side.

Hello all .
my set up is Gz950 tv , 820 Panasonic 4K uhd player , sky q and denon avr3500 consisting of 5.1.2 set up . everything is connected via hdmi cables into AVR and 1 hdmi out from AVR into hdmi 2 input on gz950 tv . On the 820 player it has 2 hdmi outputs , audio and audio / video. The AVR is 4K enabled and allow atoms , Dolby vision and hdr 10 pass through etc . ( not hdr10+). I have only used one hdmi cable from blu ray player into AVR as per instructions state etc . But is it possible that I’m getting lossless atoms at all ? Not sure if it’s best to use Netflix app on tv or blu ray player? But reading from above comments it seems some have used 2 hdmi cables from uhd player. Sorry if this is daft question and hope you people can help me . Thank you in advice for taking your time in reading this and answering .

agreed as above. Connect an hdmi to your tv from the 820 and audio out hdmi to your avr. You’ll get full atmos from the player with a suitable disk, but not from Netflix as it Won’t provide full atmos anyway. May as well use the app on the tv which is much better

no option to change HDMI setting on the denon for audio out to the connected HDMI 2 in my setup.
I'm not sure I get that bit?

The second audio out from the Oppo will be connected to an HDMI In on the Denon and then the Denon will spread audio to your speakers.

agreed as above. Connect an hdmi to your tv from the 820 and audio out hdmi to your avr. You’ll get full atmos from the player with a suitable disk, but not from Netflix as it Won’t provide full atmos anyway. May as well use the app on the tv which is much better

Ive a similar set up to Umphar andalso have concerns about lack of HDR0+ thru my Denon 3400 amp, obviously no upgrade with the 3500!)

How is the TV Netfix app 'better' than that on the UB820? I understand from a previous post that it outputs the 'native frame rate' on the TV app as opposed to a fixed 60fps on the 820. Any other benefits in using the TV app?

Ive a similar set up to Umphar andalso have concerns about lack of HDR0+ thru my Denon 3400 amp, obviously no upgrade with the 3500!)

How is the TV Netfix app 'better' than that on the UB820? I understand from a previous post that it outputs the 'native frame rate' on the TV app as opposed to a fixed 60fps on the 820. Any other benefits in using the TV app?

mainly that with the tv app you get native format and the smart platform on the player is pretty outdated and slow to be honest...

My patience must be really bad as using the 820’s Netflix app would be hell heh. TV app is instant and correct frame rate and also Netflix viewing mode if it takes ya fancy.
Even better option would be using an Apple TV 4K if you have one, I get slightly better shadow detail and the app itself gets updated regularly.

Also on the NF app on the 820 Dolby Vision is fixed for all content regardless if it's 4K, HD or even SD! TBF, it doesn't look to bad on some content but really weird on others. I assume this is not the case with the TV app?

Time to reset my NF devices and switch and start using Atmos thru the arc!

Also on the NF app on the 820 Dolby Vision is fixed for all content regardless if it's 4K, HD or even SD! TBF, it doesn't look to bad on some content but really weird on others. I assume this is not the case with the TV app?

Time to reset my NF devices and switch and start using Atmos thru the arc!

The TV app is stable, quick and accurate. I am happy with Atmos through arc as Netflix won't give you lossless anyway. Lossless Atmos from the 820 is a nice bonus

Lossless Atmos from the 820 is a nice bonus
From discs right?

Because the Netflix App on the 820 also doesn't support full Atmos (actually, it doesn't send any Atmos in my case, but that's to do with my older AVR not detecting the flag from the 820).

I'm not sure I get that bit?

The second audio out from the Oppo will be connected to an HDMI In on the Denon and then the Denon will spread audio to your speakers.

Yes i worded it wrong audio HDMI from oppo to HDMI in on amp. But i do not get audio with video i have the video sent to TV HDMI. if i switch to blu ray HDMI in on amp i get no sound because the audio from oppo to amp is in say another HDMI in on amp. Probably not explaining correctly but basically i do not have HDMI audio in on my amp. No way i can change in settings for video and audio together if connected to two separate HDMI inputs. I own a Denon 2310 if you read the online manual would be great if you can find a way because so confused.

You don’t need HDMI audio in, just put the cable in the dvd/bluray in and switch to the input on the amp. Should get sound when using the Blu-ray player once you set HDMI audio out on the oppo

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom