Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Because it's the way to go and every pro calibrators would set it to zero. It's not that Panasonic oleds are softer, they just produce an accurate picture in terms of sharpening too, as the director intended.
Sharpening is like white balance, color accuracy, gamma curve etc., it should respect the reference and the original source without additional processing. Different oled brands do not produce the same "softer" picture as they are not as accurate as Panasonic ones, plain and simple.
Sorry I don't quite follow your first statement. 30 is the way to go but pro calibrators would set it to zero?

Just trying to figure out if 30 is actually 0/a base with no processing, or if it is indeed adding sharpness to the source.

Sorry I don't quite follow your first statement. 30 is the way to go but pro calibrators would set it to zero?

Just trying to figure out if 30 is actually 0/a base with no processing, or if it is indeed adding sharpness to the source.

Probably doesn't apply but I'd be careful about playing with such settings unless you really know what you are doing (I certainly don't). Individual settings tend to need to be changed in conjunction with several others.
Hope you are enjoying the set :)

I've certainly been happy with the Pro 1 defaults, and just made a slight adjustment to the luminance level of Pro 2. Might possibly experiment with the IFC custom settings @Lancia34 posted about a while back, just to see, but otherwise I'm gonna leave things as they are.

Guys, I'm watching escape from New York which is dolby vision but no settings appear in the picture settings for dark & bright
Also I can't seem to get rid of faces hands arms etc looking a dark reddish colour, Stallone's face in first blood looks orange lol
When you are supplying the TV with any form of 4K HDR signal, check in the settings menu that the Colourspace is set to BT2020. For everything other than 4K HDR, you should set it to BT709.

Last edited:
I've certainly been happy with the Pro 1 defaults, and just made a slight adjustment to the luminance level of Pro 2. Might possibly experiment with the IFC custom settings @Lancia34 posted about a while back, just to see, but otherwise I'm gonna leave things as they are.
Can you point me to those settings please?
I dont like the idea of any of this frame creation bs but maybe things have moved on a bit since I last tried them. I was surprised to find the PRO settings have IFC enable, albeit set to low. There were a couple of scenes I noticed, when skipping through some familiar better call saul episodes, some slight 'soap opera effect' was present, I'm guessing this was why.

0 is the way to go, it means "no additional processing". The default value of 30 is a little bit overprocessed, even if it does not create visible artifacts. A sharpness test pattern is enough to prove it.

0 is the way to go, it means "no additional processing". The default value of 30 is a little bit overprocessed, even if it does not create visible artifacts. A sharpness test pattern is enough to prove it.
This is what I first thought, but was just a little confused why the Pro settings had it set to 30, especially when reviews state 'reference quality out of the box' ..0 it is!

When you are supplying the TV with any form of 4K HDR signal, check in the settings menu that the Colourspace is set to BT2020. For everything other than 4K HDR, you set set it to BT709.
Thank you kindly my friend, I shall try that this evening

Can you point me to those settings please?
I dont like the idea of any of this frame creation bs but maybe things have moved on a bit since I last tried them. I was surprised to find the PRO settings have IFC enable, albeit set to low. There were a couple of scenes I noticed, when skipping through some familiar better call saul episodes, some slight 'soap opera effect' was present, I'm guessing this was why.

It's post #2678 on this thread
Anyway, I changed IFC to custom - Blur 7 and Film Smooth 2 and it seemed a bit better. Probably doesn't help that Avengers seems to combine smooth panning shots with jerky, jumpy camera shots straight after so can be a bit jarring.

This is what I first thought, but was just a little confused why the Pro settings had it set to 30, especially when reviews state 'reference quality out of the box' ..0 it is!

It's the same reason why you find IFC on low. Even if Panasonic does take care for producing the most cinematic and accurate picture, they have to give a nod to those users not as much close to "as director intended" concept.
Not everybody likes the pure 24Hz motion and many users love a little more "razor" picture, I hate this definition but it's just to give you an idea. Of course purist users are able to turn them off and usually they know how to do it. It could not be true viceversa.

I found the Panasonic default for sharpness to be very accurate on my GZ950B. However, you really need a sharpness test pattern, and you should adjust your sharpness control until the image is sharp, but no halo effect is introduced.

I use the test pattern from the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark disc.

I think for many people on AVForums it’s become the norm to turn sharpness down to 0, because older TV models used to be over sharp by default - but that’s not necessarily the case now. So you cannot assume 0 sharpness is correct.

Regards,
James.

0 looks more natural and correct to my eyes. I've flicked between 30 and 0 a few times and have settled on 0. But it could be my mind telling me 0 is right. I do seem to have a knack for getting pictures natural by eye though. If I say so myself. lol Family members will comment the TV looks right and better now once I've got it where I think its right.

I don’t assume anything, I have already calibrated some GZ and double checked sharpness against a specific test pattern. The correct setting is 0 if you like to avoid any over processing, exactly like previous Panasonic models (VT, EZ, FZ etc.).

0 looks more natural and correct to my eyes. I've flicked between 30 and 0 a few times and have settled on 0. But it could be my mind telling me 0 is right. I do seem to have a knack for getting pictures natural by eye though. If I say so myself. lol Family members will comment the TV looks right and better now once I've got it where I think its right.

No, it’s not your mind, you actually have gold eyes and found by yourself the correct setting in order to avoid overprocessing. ;)

As for the pro setting being at 30. Someone gave a reasonable explanation for why that might be. Also being as director intended probably is mainly about the colour.

And some pro reviews around will obviously test sharpness. I doubt they are just sticking it on 0 without checking things out first.

A good a place as any to ask these questions. Motion how do you guys find motion on your OLEDS. Those who have come from a decent LED TV. Do you prefer it? How is it? Better? Different?

And also basically everyone says for movies OLEDs are awesome much better than any LED TV. But when it comes to other viewing, such as sports, drama shows etc Do you enjoy viewing these shows more on your OLEDs? Over and about previous LED TVs you've owned.

A good a place as any to ask these questions. Motion how do you guys find motion on your OLEDS. Those who have come from a decent LED TV. Do you prefer it? How is it? Better? Different?

Just the one day in owning this screen & so far so good - initially tested with Bumlebee 4k blu ray & the difference between OLED & my lcd TX screen was amazing. There was no blur, on the lcd I could see a blur around the outline of the characters etc & his moved with them as they moved. There is a depth to OLED that is marked over lcd & this was noticed by 2 friends who were blown away by this screen. Playing the PS4 Star Wars Battlefront - smooth movement & images plus much crisper colours everywhere, again there is an added depth.

And also basically everyone says for movies OLEDs are awesome much better than any LED TV. But when it comes to other viewing, such as sports, drama shows etc Do you enjoy viewing these shows more on your OLEDs? Over and about previous LED TVs you've owned.

For sports I haven’t tried yet so cannot comment. But I’ve watched Game of Thrones on this screen & it was just a thrilling watch on OLED, the snow falling in one scene was just so clear & smooth. Again the depth to the picture really immerses you in scenes. Battle scenes the clarity & no blockiness with dark or night scenes.

I’m pretty sure there will be better feedback than my basic attempt - but you would not be disappointed by upgrading to an OLED if this is your plan. I can not wait to get home & watch my blu rays on this screen & cant wipe the smile off my face.

I’ve had no issue with Netflix & crackling either, no lines on the panel which was an issue with my lcd.

I can read your post mate. Don't worry about the quote being messed up.

Cheers for the reply.

Well I’ve gone Plasma to OLED & noticed an improvement in all areas.

So that should mean going from an LED (being an inferior picture to Plasma), to OLED would also see an improvement.

I find everything hugely better on the 950 over my previous led, and in fact over any other led ive seen that friends have etc. even pretty new models.
Films, sports, dramas, all are sublime now imho :)

Watching a show on the built in Prime video app and I hear some crackling. I think so anyway. Not had it with Netflix and not watched anything on Prime really.

I am using a soundbar connected using optical

When you are supplying the TV with any form of 4K HDR signal, check in the settings menu that the Colourspace is set to BT2020. For everything other than 4K HDR, you should set it to BT709.
Steve, I have the colour space rec.2020 for 4k hdr and I'm not getting any Dolby vision settings when playing a movie with dolby vision?
I have Dolby vision set to on in the player

Any other ideas guys?

Steve, I have the colour space rec.2020 for 4k hdr and I'm not getting any Dolby vision settings when playing a movie with dolby vision?
I have Dolby vision set to on in the player

Any other ideas guys?
Have you got the Dolby Vision notification on? If the TV detects Dolby Vision it pops up a notification in the top right.

If you don't get that then the TV is not receiving it from the source

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom