Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

mikej

Anyone having problems with connecting the their smart phone device to the TV.. it would mirror perfectly before... it’s no the phone because it’s working fine with my other panasonic TV

I've never been able to mirror my Pixel phone to my GZ950 using the Panasonic app - it's useless. Has anyone actually found a reliable way of doing this ? I was presuming a Chromecast was the best option but I've already got a Firestick hooked up so am reluctant to buy more hardware for the odd time I'd want to do this.

The only thing I've ever had success with is 'casting' from the YouTube app on my phone to the TV, which seems to work OK.

tomhill

I feel your pain. And not knowing which device is faulty is so frustrating. Unless you bought them both from the same place and just demand they sort it?
I'm sure it's the TV because If I connect my OPPO-203 to the HDMI IN on the soundbar, it plays movies with Atmos just fine.

I don't know if it's a bug in the Netflix App on the TV or an issue with the actual HDMI ARC port itself.

Not sure if the retailer who I purchased the TV from could help with something like this?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I'm sure it's the TV because If I connect my OPPO-203 to the HDMI IN on the soundbar, it plays movies with Atmos just fine.

I don't know if it's a bug in the Netflix App on the TV or an issue with the actual HDMI ARC port itself.

Not sure if the retailer who I purchased the TV from could help with something like this?
I’m not qualified to comment on that. Both devices are in the Dock in my eyes.

DoDeH1

Yeah it shows up outside the app, however changing it to Bistream has still made no difference.

Like I said earlier the only way for me to get Atmos out of the soundbar is to unplug the HDMI cable from ARC, use the TV speakers to play the Atmos and then plug back in the HDMI cable to ARC.

Not going to lie it's very annoying.
Try to disable viera link. Switch off the TV using the button on the back side.
Then turn it on and enable back viera link.
It might be something wrong with CEC

tomhill

Try to disable viera link. Switch off the TV using the button on the back side.
Then turn it on and enable back viera link.
It might be something wrong with CEC
Nope still not working.

I might try contacting the retailer and seeing if they send an engineer out, I guess it could possibly be a faulty HDMI ARC port?

My OPPO-203 plays Atmos content just fine when connected to the HDMI IN on the soundbar, and I highly doubt it is a faulty HDMI OUT port on the soundbar since I do get Atmos playing if I first play Netflix Atmos content from my TV speakers, and then reconnect the HDMI cable to ARC.

I can pause and even play from the beginning the content that has the Atmos on Netflix playing out of my soundbar, however It just always defaults back to 5:1 when I changed to a different Movie/TV show.

Samv0808

Distinguished Member
Nope still not working.

I might try contacting the retailer and seeing if they send an engineer out, I guess it could possibly be a faulty HDMI ARC port?

My OPPO-203 plays Atmos content just fine when connected to the HDMI IN on the soundbar, and I highly doubt it is a faulty HDMI OUT port on the soundbar since I do get Atmos playing if I first play Netflix Atmos content from my TV speakers, and then reconnect the HDMI cable to ARC.

I can pause and even play from the beginning the content that has the Atmos on Netflix playing out of my soundbar, however It just always defaults back to 5:1 when I changed to a different Movie/TV show.
Where is the OPPO connected normally? To the soundbar? I connect my OPPO directly to the TV and it took me ages to work out that for some reason the CEC setting in the OPPO was causing ATMOS to not be available on the TV.
Perhaps if the OPPO is connected with CEC switched on to the soundbar when the soundbar is connected to the TV it’s doing a similar thing as it’s in the chain via the Soundbar? If it is connect try disabling CEC completely on the OPPO

Last edited:

tomhill

Where is the OPPO connected normally? To the soundbar? I connect my OPPO directly to the TV and it took me ages to work out that for some reason the CEC setting in the OPPO was causing ATMOS to not be available on the TV.
Perhaps if the OPPO is connected with CEC switched on to the soundbar when the soundbar is connected to the TV it’s doing a similar thing as it’s in the chain via the Soundbar? If it is connect try disabling CEC completely on the OPPO
Please read above, the issue is not with my OPPO but with Atmos content on netflix not playing via HDMI ARC to my soundbar.

I only mentioned my OPPO just to show that my soundbar does indeed work fine with Atmos content, however I only get 5:1 audio on Atmos Netflix content from the in built app to my soundbar via HDMI ARC.

I have contacted Panasonic and I'll see what they say since I've tried everything in this thread and nothing has worked.

Samv0808

Distinguished Member
Please read above, the issue is not with my OPPO but with Atmos content on netflix not playing via HDMI ARC to my soundbar.

I only mentioned my OPPO just to show that my soundbar does indeed work fine with Atmos content, however I only get 5:1 audio on Atmos Netflix content from the in built app to my soundbar via HDMI ARC.

I have contacted Panasonic and I'll see what they say since I've tried everything in this thread and nothing has worked.
Good luck then. BTW I did read it. Only mentioned it as the OPPO was the cause of ATMOS not working via the built in TV Netflix app when it was in my video chain with CEC enabled in the OPPO. This is why I asked if the OPPO was plugged into the Soundbar when you were having problems.

All the best

DoDeH1

I believe you should describe exactly what are your connections and what you are doing. At the beginning you said it's not working then that is working when disconnecting and reconnecting.

@tomhill I would definitely start by disconnecting everything from the TV and soundbar HDMI ports with the exception of the ARC HDMI lead and seeing if the problem is the same. I'd definitely concur with @Samv0808 in regard to the weird things that the Oppo can do via CEC even when it's not immediately part of the chain you're interested in.

HDMI CEC :mad::mad::mad:

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
@tomhill What do you have the SPDIF Audio Selection set to? I'd set it to Dolby Audio.

Have you set the TV Speaker Setting to 'Off'?

Some points of note - HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC are mutually exclusive, therefore, you don't need HDMI-CEC enabled to have HDMI-ARC functionality. And as @Samv0808 has pointed out, there can be a conflict if both are enabled. Thus, for troubleshooting purposes, I'd disable HDMI-CEC.

HDMI Audio Format affects input only. It'll not have any impact on the HDMI-ARC output.

Once you've confirmed the TV is set up correctly, I'd give @steverobertsbbc suggestion a try as the next troubleshooting step.

Paul

rhodos

Apologies if further up the thread but I have a Youtube resolution question.
I have Youtube on the built-in app, on a 4K Prime Stick (direct to TV HDMI) and on a 4k Roku premiere (NOT the +) again direct to an HDMI port.

If I play 4k content then
- TV reports 4K (when I show geek options in youtube)
- Prime stick reports 4k if an only if I force the output resolution on the stick to 4k, if I set to auto then its 1080p)
- Roku is 1080p at best but more generally all youtube content is 720p.

The TV and Prime stick are on wired ethernet (about a 50M connection that reports 30+ on Youtube geek stats) The Roku however is wireless (router literally 6 feet away) but displays about 5M in Youtube.

Q1. Should Prime not 'auto' to 4k if it can and surely it can as it does when i force it (and it shows 30M+ connection).

Q2. Should the Roku not do better (it has 35M+ in the Roku connection checker).?

I can't use just the TV apps as need NowTV, Disney, Apple etc - thus using Roku or Prime. I would just use Prime as it has ethernet but then no Now TV.

Wish there was a ethernet enabled device that had all the apps !!!

tomhill

@tomhill What do you have the SPDIF Audio Selection set to? I'd set it to Dolby Audio.

Have you set the TV Speaker Setting to 'Off'?

Some points of note - HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC are mutually exclusive, therefore, you don't need HDMI-CEC enabled to have HDMI-ARC functionality. And as @Samv0808 has pointed out, there can be a conflict if both are enabled. Thus, for troubleshooting purposes, I'd disable HDMI-CEC.

HDMI Audio Format affects input only. It'll not have any impact on the HDMI-ARC output.

Once you've confirmed the TV is set up correctly, I'd give @steverobertsbbc suggestion a try as the next troubleshooting step.

Paul
I set SPDIF to Dolby Audio.

Set TV Speaker to Off.

If I turn off veira link to disable HDMI-CEC, the TV defaults to TV speakers and I am unable to select Home Threatre.

I disconnected all my devices from the TV and soundbar, and only have the HDMI lead in the HDMI ARC port going to my soundbar.

Still have the same problem no Atmos on netflix at all, when I play content that has Atmos, my soundbar says "dolby surround" and this results in 5:1 according to Netflix.

As I said earlier I can get Atmos working on my soundbar, but only when I use my TV speakers to play Atmos content as it's playing, and then when I connect the HDMI lead to the ARC port atmos works on my soundbar and I can hear all the effects indicating to me Atmos is 100% coming out of my soundbar and not basic 5:1.

Pretty sure it's either an issue with the TV itself or the Netflix app, Atmos works fine on my soundbar when I connect my OPPO-203 directly to the HDMI IN on the soundbar so I can't imagine it being an issue with the soundbar.

Last edited:

Hasanlfc786

Standard Member
I've never been able to mirror my Pixel phone to my GZ950 using the Panasonic app - it's useless. Has anyone actually found a reliable way of doing this ? I was presuming a Chromecast was the best option but I've already got a Firestick hooked up so am reluctant to buy more hardware for the odd time I'd want to do this.

The only thing I've ever had success with is 'casting' from the YouTube app on my phone to the TV, which seems to work OK.

always used to use my Samsung phone for football matches that weren’t shown on sky sports or BT and had great success using a mirror app called Casto... pretty much any Mirror app would work but recently my TV won’t get scanned to anything

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
If I turn off veira link to disable HDMI-CEC, the TV defaults to TV speakers and I am unable to select Home Threatre.
I don't think that is normal.

Fillius

That doesn't make any difference whether it's on or off.
I don't understand what you mean here.

Atmos from the apps won't work unless that setting is enabled.

tomhill

I don't understand what you mean here.

Atmos from the apps won't work unless that setting is enabled.
Even with the Atmos setting enabled, I do not get Atmos from Netflix content ( The Irishman and Klaus I tested) but basic 5:1 Dolby Surround.

Fillius

Even with the Atmos setting enabled, I do not get Atmos from Netflix content ( The Irishman and Klaus I tested) but basic 5:1 Dolby Surround.
And have you tried it after a restart with the Atmos setting enabled and the Oppo not plugged in?

tomhill

And have you tried it after a restart with the Atmos setting enabled and the Oppo not plugged in?
Yes I have and it still does not work.

I have just had a good read of the JBL Bar 9:1 thread and it seems like lots of people cannot get Atmos via ARC unless you have an LG 2019/2020 model or a TV that supports eARC.

Looks like I will be buying a 2020 Panasonic since they support eARC and atmos sounds so much better than basic 5:1 on Netflix.

cezarL

Yes I have and it still does not work.

I have just had a good read of the JBL Bar 9:1 thread and it seems like lots of people cannot get Atmos via ARC unless you have an LG 2019/2020 model or a TV that supports eARC.

Looks like I will be buying a 2020 Panasonic since they support eARC and atmos sounds so much better than basic 5:1 on Netflix.
Netflix uses EAC3JOC for Atmos: object-based content is wrapped in a Dolby Digital Plus container which does not require eARC.
The regular ARC protocol used by the GZ series will pass Netflix Atmos to AVRs and soundbars, as already confirmed by a few of us.
Don't know why the JBL would require eARC, but if that's true I would say change the soundbar not the TV :)

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
I set SPDIF to Dolby Audio.

Set TV Speaker to Off.

I disconnected all my devices from the TV and soundbar, and only have the HDMI lead in the HDMI ARC port going to my soundbar.

Still have the same problem no Atmos on netflix at all, when I play content that has Atmos, my soundbar says "dolby surround" and this results in 5:1 according to Netflix.

As I said earlier I can get Atmos working on my soundbar, but only when I use my TV speakers to play Atmos content as it's playing, and then when I connect the HDMI lead to the ARC port atmos works on my soundbar and I can hear all the effects indicating to me Atmos is 100% coming out of my soundbar and not basic 5:1.

Pretty sure it's either an issue with the TV itself or the Netflix app, Atmos works fine on my soundbar when I connect my OPPO-203 directly to the HDMI IN on the soundbar so I can't imagine it being an issue with the soundbar.
Something else to try.

Keep the settings above but, enable Viera Link. Then go to Apps > Viera Link > Speaker Selection > Home Cinema.

This isn't to be confused with the Home Cinema speaker setting here: Settings > Sound > Speaker Selection > Home Cinema

Which should also be set.

Paul

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Apologies if further up the thread but I have a Youtube resolution question.
I have Youtube on the built-in app, on a 4K Prime Stick (direct to TV HDMI) and on a 4k Roku premiere (NOT the +) again direct to an HDMI port.

If I play 4k content then
- TV reports 4K (when I show geek options in youtube)
- Prime stick reports 4k if an only if I force the output resolution on the stick to 4k, if I set to auto then its 1080p)
- Roku is 1080p at best but more generally all youtube content is 720p.

The TV and Prime stick are on wired ethernet (about a 50M connection that reports 30+ on Youtube geek stats) The Roku however is wireless (router literally 6 feet away) but displays about 5M in Youtube.

Q1. Should Prime not 'auto' to 4k if it can and surely it can as it does when i force it (and it shows 30M+ connection).

Q2. Should the Roku not do better (it has 35M+ in the Roku connection checker).?

I can't use just the TV apps as need NowTV, Disney, Apple etc - thus using Roku or Prime. I would just use Prime as it has ethernet but then no Now TV.

Wish there was a ethernet enabled device that had all the apps !!!
What, like an Apple TV... :D

Seems like these aren't questions about the TV but, source devices and that being the case, you're probably best asking these in the appropriate forum.

Personally speaking, if the TV YouTube app does what you want, use that and use the other devices for the specific apps the TV doesn't cater for. That's what I do.

Paul

rhodos

What, like an Apple TV... :D

Seems like these aren't questions about the TV but, source devices and that being the case, you're probably best asking these in the appropriate forum.

Personally speaking, if the TV YouTube app does what you want, use that and use the other devices for the specific apps the TV doesn't cater for. That's what I do.

Paul

Thanks and yes apologies. It just strikes as strange that there is only one device available in the UK that provides access to 'all' the typical apps, including NowTV, has 4K, HDR, Ethernet and an IR receiver, i.e. AppleTV 4K. You would think there a big enough market for more competition, and thus avoiding the nearly £200 price tag.

Sorry yes, probably wrong forum but one ask for the 950 folks.
Is there a simple table of the display 'formats' it can do, i.e. resolution, HDR and FPS? e.g. 4k, HDR, 60 = yes etc etc?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021