Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
The Beam insists on having the priority over tv speakers. You have to disable Vierra link settings to get the tv speakers to hold.

Fillius

Thanks I'll give that a try..
I've not used a Beam, but the TV disables 'Home Theatre' audio if the ARC device turns off. For instance, turning the TV on, then turning my Denon off switches it back to TV speakers.

Although I've just tried it and it switched, but no sound came out. But that could have been a problem passing the sound from my Shield through my Denon while it's off.

orange55

I've bought a 65GZ950B and already own a X-Rite 1.

Would you recommend paying for the CalMan Home for Panasonic version or use the Ultimate licensed version from a friend?

Is there much of a difference between both versions? Going with the Home version means I can re-calibrate as much as I want in the future...

any thoughts are welcomed :)

Luis
Use your friends version.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks I'll give that a try..
I found Night Mode quite effective when the missus retired before me. I still got the occasional shout, turn that down. Loudness Off.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
I've bought a 65GZ950B and already own a X-Rite 1.

Would you recommend paying for the CalMan Home for Panasonic version or use the Ultimate licensed version from a friend?

Is there much of a difference between both versions? Going with the Home version means I can re-calibrate as much as I want in the future...

any thoughts are welcomed :)

Luis
For a novice, with just an i1D3 (assuming that's what you mean...), CalMAN Home is all you need. If you have access to Ultimate for free though, you may as well use that.

Paul

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The only major issue with this TV is micro stutter / choppy movements around actor's heads. I am seeing this in both streaming and BD/UHDs in native frame rate. Maybe my eyes are more sensitive than some but I do see this once or twice every hour.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
The only major issue with this TV is micro stutter / choppy movements around actor's heads. I am seeing this in both streaming and BD/UHDs in native frame rate. Maybe my eyes are more sensitive than some but I do see this once or twice every hour.
Is this the 24Hz 'bug' you're referring to?

I think to label it a "major" issue is a bit strong.
I've never seen what you describe on my GZ2000 and I've had it for over a year.
Even for those that do/ have experienced it, I suspect it's a very minor issue, as they wouldn't return the TV because of it. And for the vast majority who don't/ haven't, there's clearly no issue.

Paul

lgans316

Distinguished Member

Even for those that do/ have experienced it, I suspect it's a very minor issue, as they wouldn't return the TV because of it. And for the vast majority who don't/ haven't, there's clearly no issue.

Paul
YMMV. Its a major issue to me as it is not blink and miss type. I am not going to make a big fuss about it as the vast majority won't even notice it but sadly I got a sensitive pair of eyes lol. Its much reduced with ATV and frame rate matching but was a nightmare with FireTV stick which was outputting at 60Hz.

kevjp

On my HZ1500 I get the same. I need IFC set to min for some films with fast movement otherwise it's horrible. On things like BBC I have to set IFC to off otherwise micro stutter. I have compromised by having pro 1 and pro2 with same settings but one ifc off and one ifc min. I can switch easily with picture button. I don't get night and day pro1/2 but that's less of an issue than micro stutter. I am getting a panel replacement Saturday which might reduce problem anyway as it seems not everyone gets the issue.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
YMMV. Its a major issue to me as it is not blink and miss type. I am not going to make a big fuss about it as the vast majority won't even notice it but sadly I got a sensitive pair of eyes lol. Its much reduced with ATV and frame rate matching but was a nightmare with FireTV stick which was outputting at 60Hz.
Not the 24Hz bug then but, 2:3 pulldown.
As you've eluded to in your response, that's not the TV's fault (it plays what it's given) but, the FireTV Stick's, as it's doing the conversion.
With frame rate matching, if you're noticing an issue, it's not the same one as you're initially complaining about.
With frame rate matching, the TV will display 24fps content at 120Hz, using 5:5 pulldown. I.e. displaying each frame 5 times equally. A number of reviews have stated there is a very infrequent issue with the processing here, on the GZ displays but, it's so infrequent even those pro reviewers that look for it, don't notice it every time it must happen.

Paul

Matdee

Standard Member

Paul
try to watch War for the Planet of the Apes, scene 5:30 - 5:45...There you should see clearly the Frame skip issue

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
try to watch War for the Planet of the Apes, scene 5:30 - 5:45...There you should see clearly the Frame skip issue
That sounds more like an issue with the source content. If it wasn't, by the very nature of the processes that cause 'frame skipping', you'd notice it at regular intervals.

Paul

Matdee

Standard Member
That sounds more like an issue with the source content. If it wasn't, by the very nature of the processes that cause 'frame skipping', you'd notice it at regular intervals.

Paul
Also VincentTheo mentioned it always on Panasonic TV's...He uses often this scene to show it. I tried the UHD and you see it clearly. It's not a 24hz judder.

Last edited:

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Also VincentTheo mentioned it always on Panasonic TV's...He uses often this scene to show it. I tried the UHD and you see it clearly. It's not a 24hz judder.
That's the Panasonic "24fps issue". So it is an issue with 24fps content but, in particular, it only seems to affect the Panasonic TV's with the HCX Pro chipset, and less so as the TV's get newer.

It shouldn't be confused with the way 24fps content looks on any modern TV.

Just to be clear, we've had 3 separate and very different issues described on this page.

1. 2:3 pulldown caused by an external device. Post 8483.
2. 24fps judder, which is inherent to the frame rate being displayed on any display. Post 8486.
3. Panasonic's HCX Pro 24fps issue. This is the only one that can be attributed to the TV itself. Post 8488.

Paul

kevjp

Still annoying for those of us sensitive to this sort of issue. I cant believe others can live with these issues. It does my head in.

that's life!

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Still annoying for those of us sensitive to this sort of issue. I cant believe others can live with these issues. It does my head in.

that's life!
I don't see it as an issue but, an idiosyncrasy of the format. Conversely, I don't like the look of HFR movies as they seems unnatural. Each to their own.

Paul

Last edited:

markreed89

Standard Member
What you guys are describing is a consequence of of oleds instant response time. It exaggerates 24fps stutter greatly of you're sensitive to it. But it's an oled thing, there's nothing you can do about it other than put IFC on. However I've forced myself to watch without IFC and my brain/eyes are slowly adapting. It's most noticeable with slow moving bright content, i can (and so can many others) a flicker in brightness and well as more stutter as said bright object moves accross the screen. You don't see it with led because the slow response means the frames blend into each other. Correct implementation of black frame insertion has to potential to completely fix this oled issue. If you want to test the idea yourself watch something where you notice a lot of flickery judderyness and wave your fingers (spread apart) quickly back and forth on front of your vision and watch it all blend into lovely cinema quality 24fps movement

Last edited:
No it isn't. It's a processing artefact of the way the HCX processor renders video to the screen. 24P inputs are converted to 60P with 3:2 pulldown so that processing such as IFC can be carried out, then motion detection is used to detect the repeated frames and remove them to get back to 24P. It can only do this when there is sufficient motion in the picture however. For low motion scenes, the video is actually rendered out to the screen at 60P with 3:2 pulldown. Once the motion exceeds the level where the repeated frames can be detected, it's rendered out at proper 24P. The classic 'head turn' stutter and other low-motion artefacts are present at the point where the switchover between 60P and 24P rendering happens. It's much more prevalent on HDR content. It's a crappy way of doing things, but Panasonic have insisted on using the same basic system through all OLED models from the EZ so far.

AdrianW

The classic 'head turn' stutter and other low-motion artefacts are present at the point where the switchover between 60P and 24P rendering happens. It's much more prevalent on HDR content.
Thanks for that explanation - I see it from time to time, and when it occurs I sometimes end up adjusting various config settings trying to fix it, that's obviously a waste of time, so I'll leave well enough alone.

The image and motion in general is fantastic, it's just that occasional judder around heads that's disconcerting.

Boozyuzi

Novice Member
Just got a GZ950, very happy with it.

i would like to get the TV a bit closer to the wall but would prefer not to wall mount. Can someone please recommend and universal stand that is smaller - depth wise - than the Panny one.

That's a big stand!

kevjp

Thanks for that explanation - I see it from time to time, and when it occurs I sometimes end up adjusting various config settings trying to fix it, that's obviously a waste of time, so I'll leave well enough alone.

The image and motion in general is fantastic, it's just that occasional judder around heads that's disconcerting.
The slow movement is where I get this on the hz1500. I thought it was just me. You guys have explained and reassured me. I guess as mentioned there are limited options to fix. Ifc off or min depending on content has helped. I just need to try and enjoy watching the programmes instead of looking for the problems! Not always easy when you've spent nearly £3k on a TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett