Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

JimBobRude

You can change the chroma mode in ATV settings. I doubt the content is actually 4:4:4 so no loss.
Update: I’ve tried a few more programmes and films in sdr and whilst they still output in 4:4:4 they aren’t flashing/flickering. I think it could be a problem with the Sinner on Netflix via the Apple TV app. I wish I could be more like normal people sometimes and not notice these things!

Cocksure

Distinguished Member
Tried the power button on the back of the tv without joy, tried holding it down with power 1st of and then on, nothing.

currently trying it unplugged for 20 minutes but not holding out much hope. Its a 300 mile around trip to take it back to the shop:(

JimBobRude

Tried the power button on the back of the tv without joy, tried holding it down with power 1st of and then on, nothing.

currently trying it unplugged for 20 minutes but not holding out much hope. Its a 300 mile around trip to take it back to the shop:(
I know this might sound patronising so I apologise, but I’ve got to ask just in case. After you press the power button down on the back of the tv does the red power LED turn on? If so, you then have to use the remote to turn it on. It won’t fully turn on with just the button at the back.

Cocksure

Distinguished Member
Fair enough question. :)
Holding/pressing the power button makes no difference to the red light as it doesn’t light up whatever i do. Its as though there is no power going to the tv in the 1st place, but the fuse has been tested and is fine and the socket works fine with other devices

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I have a new 65GZ950 coming on Sunday is it likely that will need a firmware upgrade, it's a new batch so would you expect that to have latest firmware.

JimBobRude

I have a new 65GZ950 coming on Sunday is it likely that will need a firmware upgrade, it's a new batch so would you expect that to have latest firmware.
I got mine last Wednesday and it needed a firmware update. I suppose it depends how long it’s been sat in the warehouse.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Mine was from Currys and they were waiting for a shipment to come in from the distributors so am expecting a reasonably recent production build. Having said that I now know what to expect so thanks for that. :)

I hate having to do firmware updates as soon as anything is unpacked, at least it's better to be able to get acquainted with the kit first.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I hate having to do firmware updates as soon as anything is unpacked, at least it's better to be able to get acquainted with the kit first.
Interesting I take the other view. I do firmware updates first before even properly setting up kit.

JimBobRude

Mine was from Currys and they were waiting for a shipment to come in from the distributors so am expecting a reasonably recent production build. Having said that I now know what to expect so thanks for that. :)

Maybe skip the network connection part of the initial setup then. That’s the point where it forces a firmware update.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I hear what you say but I had a problem a few years back with an Onkyo 818, I plugged in and it then said update available so went into update and it started but then went on and on and on then display went blank......... I left it for nearly an hour.

I did not want to switch power off but in the end had to and when I powered back up it came on updated. That was not supposed to happen according to instructions, it should have powered off at the end of update then automatically switch on.

Since then always been a bit wary :)

Keep noticing that pixel orbirter has the picture moved a bit to the right which widens the left hand black border slightly, switch it off and picture moves to fit screen again. Not a problem but strange all the same, any one else noticed this before.
Well yes, that's what the pixel orbiter does. It moves the entire image slightly over time so that any static captions are not illuminating the same pixels all the time, so that there's less risk of image burn-in.

I've had a Panasonic OLED for three years and have never used pixel orbiter and there's absolutely no sign of any burn-in. I'd switch it off unless you're likely to be playing HDR games with static elements.

mikej

Yes, that's the Freeview Play Discovery bar and you can bring it up again by pressing the Freeview Play button on the remote.
Now this is really odd. This morning, pressing the Freeview Play button brought up the Discovery Bar, but now it brings up this screen...

IMG_20200630_221007.jpg

Is this the normal Freeview Play screen ? Was I mistaken or does it change from time to time ?

Also - when I turn on the TV tonight, I'm now not getting the Freeview Play Discovery Bar launching automatically any more which is odd because I didn't think there was a way to disable this !

UPDATE : Realised I was watching the satellite (Freesat) channels. The Freeview Play button brings up a different interface depending on whether you're watching Freesat or Freeview and the usual Discovery Bar is not displayed when the TV is turned on with the satellite channels running.

Last edited:

Cocksure

Distinguished Member
And were off for a nice 300 mile trip :( Fair play to Panasonic as (after tests) it was take back for refund or replacement. Any issues give us a call:smashin:

mikej

And were off for a nice 300 mile trip :( Fair play to Panasonic as (after tests) it was take back for refund or replacement. Any issues give us a call:smashin:
Glad you got a positive outcome.

Is there any reason why you didn't get it delivered ? I would imagine that just one of those return trips would cost you a lot more in petrol than even the most expensive (next-day) delivery option, never mind two trips ! Plus most places deliver for free when you're spending that sort of money.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Is there anyway of checking download speeds on it so I can experiment?
You can use the web browser on the TV to navigate to a speed test site.

As was mentioned above though, with the TV's 100Mb/s Ethernet network interface, it's perfectly capable of supporting the highest bandwidth any of the steaming sites demand. It'll also be more reliable/ resilient than a WiFi connection.
The issue could be contention and/ or throttling on your Virgin connection. I don't believe either is uncommon with that ISP.

Paul

Cocksure

Distinguished Member
Glad you got a positive outcome.

Is there any reason why you didn't get it delivered ? I would imagine that just one of those return trips would cost you a lot more in petrol than even the most expensive (next-day) delivery option, never mind two trips ! Plus most places deliver for free when you're spending that sort of money.
It was bought in Leeds as that was the closest place at the time and then transported down to Shropshire for usage.

I was coming down anyway so picking up in person was easier. However it now means a trip up to Leeds as I need to physically take it back, then a trip back down.

its a pain, but in 24 hours everything should be sorted

Kaledii

Can anyone tell me how I can check the number of times panel maintenance has been run?
Also how often should the cycle be run.
Finally, under the system information menu, does anyone have a list of what beach status number refers to?

Emmy

Now this is really odd. This morning, pressing the Freeview Play button brought up the Discovery Bar, but now it brings up this screen...

View attachment 1327031

Is this the normal Freeview Play screen ? Was I mistaken or does it change from time to time ?

Also - when I turn on the TV tonight, I'm now not getting the Freeview Play Discovery Bar launching automatically any more which is odd because I didn't think there was a way to disable this !

UPDATE : Realised I was watching the satellite (Freesat) channels. The Freeview Play button brings up a different interface depending on whether you're watching Freesat or Freeview and the usual Discovery Bar is not displayed when the TV is turned on with the satellite channels running.
That's what its been like for me since I bought the tv less than a month ago. The Freeview Play button on my remote brings up the screen pictured and not the Discovery Bar.
Re your UPDATE above: I only ever have the tv in Freeview mode as I have Sky for satellite tv.

Paul Philpott

A question for all you gamers please. I am about to set up a new 55GZ950 for my daughter and her partner. They will use it for TV, Films and Gaming.
I would appreciate advice on what are the best modes for gaming as I am not a gamer!!

Thank in advance.:):)

JimBobRude

A question for all you gamers please. I am about to set up a new 55GZ950 for my daughter and her partner. They will use it for TV, Films and Gaming.
I would appreciate advice on what are the best modes for gaming as I am not a gamer!!

Thank in advance.:):)
I use professional 2 for all low light viewing and prof 1 for daytime including gaming. My Xbox one X takes advantage of the ALLM (auto low latency mode) which needs to be turned on in the settings under hdmi 2.1 options. This turns on game mode automatically for the best gaming experience whilst preserving the picture quality and my preferred picture settings.
The PS4 pro doesn’t use allm but it does force the tv into game mode so does the same thing essentially.

Paul Philpott

I use professional 2 for all low light viewing and prof 1 for daytime including gaming. My Xbox one X takes advantage of the ALLM (auto low latency mode) which needs to be turned on in the settings under hdmi 2.1 options. This turns on game mode automatically for the best gaming experience whilst preserving the picture quality and my preferred picture settings.
The PS4 pro doesn’t use allm but it does force the tv into game mode so does the same thing essentially.
Fantastic Jim thank you. I use Pro 2 on my 65" so good to here that it is available with the game consoles also, great advice much appreciated👍👍

twiceforluck

Novice Member
Not a particularly big issue, but does anyone know if the red "mute" symbol (bottom left of screen) eventually disappears after muting..? I've yet to see it disappear and I don't fancy leaving it on for long in case of retention.

On another note, anyone found the Amazon Prime app keeps crashing recently? It's been crashing at least once almost every day for the past week or so.

Hasanlfc786

Novice Member
Not a particularly big issue, but does anyone know if the red "mute" symbol (bottom left of screen) eventually disappears after muting..? I've yet to see it disappear and I don't fancy leaving it on for long in case of retention.

On another note, anyone found the Amazon Prime app keeps crashing recently? It's been crashing at least once almost every day for the past week or so.
Yes its been crashing for me. The first time I put a program on its fine but then it will be stuck on loading. So I have to keep fully turning of my TV to get something to work

shomilt

Novice Member
Hi Schomilt, I have the MRX710 and tv outputs to receiver no bother just need to change setting in sound settings from internal speaker to home cinema make sure viera link is on on tv and CEC Control is set to out 1 or 2 on MRX700
Hello jus
eARC isn't required to get sound from the TV back to your AVR. The GZ950 supports ARC in HDMI input 2. Connect that to the appropriate input on your Anthem, and configure it to suit.

Point of note, ARC will give you Lossy audio formats (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus with or without Atmos etc...). eARC allows lossless audio formats (Dolby True HD with or without Atmos etc...)

Paul

URGENT HELP NEEDED
I have just received my GZ950,i have anthem MRX 300 which is non 4k but has ARC
i have not getting any sound from APPLE 4k TV to receiver..and not being able to use my speaker system,can you please advice as i read earlier in thread this can be done.
Thanks in advance