Quantcast

Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

barallo

Standard Member
we need to know if the GZ serie can handle the 24p hdr movies without the frame skipping, that's the only reason why I don't have an oled in my home

I love the Panasonic picture quality but really hate any kind of stuttering

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
we need to know if the GZ serie can handle the 24p hdr movies without the frame skipping, that's the only reason why I don't have an oled in my home

I love the Panasonic picture quality but really hate any kind of stuttering
Panasonics have always stuttered and had bad motion. My plasma did, my current CX700 does and I believe last years FZ did to a degree. Fingers crossed it’s sorted this year as it’s just down to their processing engine.

jpr141

Panasonics have always stuttered and had bad motion. My plasma did, my current CX700 does and I believe last years FZ did to a degree. Fingers crossed it’s sorted this year as it’s just down to their processing engine.
Hmm. If I'm recalling correctly most of the Panasonic 2018 pro reviews I read said that Panasonic motion is second best after Sony's.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Initial thought - thumbs up.

Build quality is OK but the back is a little plasticky. The LG E7 that it replaced has a more premium feel about it but was more expensive as a starting price. The 950 looks great from the front and you can hardly see the stand since it sits so low. The stand itself is similar to that on the VT65 plasma from years ago :D

Setup relatively easy, using last years FZ codes for the Harmony.

I used one of the standard bright modes to watch an episode of Seven Days. It’s an old bad DVD rip but the Panasonic did a better job of upscaling it than the LG. The difference was clear.

Watched an episode of Black Spot from Netflix via the FireTV and the PQ was great with natural motion and no skips. Some posterisation in dark scenes but that was the same on the LG and material related.

The panel appears uniform with no obvious vertical bands in viewing which is better than what it replaced and pleasing for a 65 inch. The real test will be what HDR looks like and fast moving sport and I’ll be looking to that today.

thedoswells

Initial thought - thumbs up.

Build quality is OK but the back is a little plasticky. The LG E7 that it replaced has a more premium feel about it but was more expensive as a starting price. The 950 looks great from the front and you can hardly see the stand since it sits so low. The stand itself is similar to that on the VT65 plasma from years ago :D

Setup relatively easy, using last years FZ codes for the Harmony.

I used one of the standard bright modes to watch an episode of Seven Days. It’s an old bad DVD rip but the Panasonic did a better job of upscaling it than the LG. The difference was clear.

Watched an episode of Black Spot from Netflix via the FireTV and the PQ was great with natural motion and no skips. Some posterisation in dark scenes but that was the same on the LG and material related.

The panel appears uniform with no obvious vertical bands in viewing which is better than what it replaced and pleasing for a 65 inch. The real test will be what HDR looks like and fast moving sport and I’ll be looking to that today.
Can’t wait for you views, especially with motion. Thanks

lgans316

Distinguished Member
C9 and AG9 were very close in the recent shootout. I expect this one to have the best qualities of both these brands but I still think the C9 is a better future proofed TV with a better OS.

LG and Sony says their tone mapping is good enough to match HDR10+ which is technically lower spec than DV.

barallo

Standard Member
Hmm. If I'm recalling correctly most of the Panasonic 2018 pro reviews I read said that Panasonic motion is second best after Sony's.
I had a fz800 for 2 weeks and yes the motion is very good if you intend the capacity to avoid artifacts and the soap opera effect while the interpolation is on (ifc) maybe even better than a sony

But for me the micro stutter has nothing to do with this, it's not something that you can analyze to know how good the motion is in comparison with other brands, it's a bug (a big one) that in an high end tv should have been solved since the EZ serie, it's ridiculous if after 3 years we are still talking about this

peahead

I watched Bumblebee on 4K blu-Ray in Dolby Vision on my GZ950 last night and it was absolutely stunning:thumbsup: the opening fight scene in this is a great test of motion handling and i tried looking for any obvious artefacts around the characters but i could not see anything.

Also watched I Am Mother on Netflix which is just 1080p and the panny did a great job of up scaling the picture.

peahead

Where are the pictures.....?
We need pictures to drool over :)
Pictures don't do it justice anyway :) better to wait and see it with your own eyes :p

If nobody posts any pictures i will see what i can do,but have to work :(

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Yes you really need to see it up close and personal not some cacky iPhone snaps.

I’ve been playing various HDR demos and of course they are as stunning as intended. Panasonic’s own demo off YouTube shows the vibrant colours and other demos the edge to edge deep black. When playing a DV demo you get notification top right but not on standard HDR for some reason. There was some haloing on streamed HDR material like Bosch on Prime but overall very nice.

For those of us who don’t use sound bars it is nice that there is no clunky speaker attached to the bottom. It’s mostly all screen without distraction.

The smart interface is simple enough though perhaps not as polished as some. I’ve been casting to the inbuilt YouTube app with no issue.

Been indoors and watching some TV and I’m yet to see any motion blips so far but haven’t watched a match yet.

This is with out of the box settings, Professional 1. It’s all very encouraging.

kahlua

Yes you really need to see it up close and personal not some cacky iPhone snaps.

I’ve been playing various HDR demos and of course they are as stunning as intended. Panasonic’s own demo off YouTube shows the vibrant colours and other demos the edge to edge deep black. When playing a DV demo you get notification top right but not on standard HDR for some reason. There was some haloing on streamed HDR material like Bosch on Prime but overall very nice.

For those of us who don’t use sound bars it is nice that there is no clunky speaker attached to the bottom. It’s mostly all screen without distraction.

The smart interface is simple enough though perhaps not as polished as some. I’ve been casting to the inbuilt YouTube app with no issue.

Been indoors and watching some TV and I’m yet to see any motion blips so far but haven’t watched a match yet.

This is with out of the box settings, Professional 1. It’s all very encouraging.
sounds great,keep your thoughts coming as you view more please,these already look like the tvs to beat this year,and my current choice for a upgrade.

jpr141

I’d love one too, but out of my budget sadly. Hope you get one. Cheers
The thing is the GZ2000 is out of my budget right now.

But by about next March I estimate it will have crept into my budget limits. I guess this might be the case for a few people. For me reviews over the next few months will be the key. If the GZ2000 destroys the GZ950 picture wise, if it is night & day superior according to multiple reviews. Then I will probably wait until next March and get a GZ2000. However if it's not much better I'll probably go for a GZ950 in October.

thedoswells

But by about next March I estimate it will have crept into my budget limits. I guess this might be the case for a few people. For me reviews over the next few months will be the key. If the GZ2000 destroys the GZ950 picture wise, if it is night & day superior according to multiple reviews. Then I will probably wait until next March and get a GZ2000. However if it's not much better I'll probably go for a GZ950 in October.
Are you considering other brands too? I’m now worried about OLED screen burn again

jpr141

Are you considering other brands too? I’m now worried about OLED screen burn again
It's a concern. And you often see conflicting views. Some say they've never seen it it's not a problem. Others claim it's a big problem. I've never had an OLED. Overall though from what I gather if you're a regular gamer it's best avoided. But if not it shouldn't really be a problem.

Beemer152

Novice Member

Similar to my thinking that
I have an AV system so couldn’t care less about audio performance of the tv itself as it’s never used.
Picture quality on the GZ2000 would need to be £1800 better than the GZ950, which seems very unlikely

jpr141

And other brands. Possibly Sony. I'm a bit of a snob I guess, because I only want to buy Panasonic or Sony for my main TV. :D Not sure I can bring myself to spend a lot of money on a samsung or an lg as a main TV.

jpr141

It’s a shame they’re not producing a professional panel as display only...
I know.

I suspect they are hoping the upfiring atmos speakers will hook a few people in(audiophiles)

Like many people on here I have a decent 5.1 system. And from what I gather you connect those upfiring speakers to your AV amp and hey presto you have yourself a atmos set-up that your amp will recognise, and you won't need any speakers hanging down from your ceiling. For me personally though I'm still not bothered about all of that. My 5.1 system is good enough for me it is enough speakers to get the affect I want in my living room.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Picture quality on the GZ2000 would need to be £1800 better than the GZ950, which seems very unlikely
Indeed unlikely. I’ve been feeding the 950 some good quality UHD material like Life of Pi and Lucy and it’s stunning. More vibrant than the LG E7 it replaced. The GZ2000 might well be even better but it can’t be raising the bar too far, if at all. You can’t really make any definitive judgement after one day of use but the 950 seems like a great TV.

Only issue so far is some colour banding and posterisation on streamed material but in tolerance and to be expected.

I took the box down the tip, I won’t be sending it back.