Quantcast

Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

devlino

I've not noticed stuttering either, the adding of DTS would be good tho, my friend shares his Plex library with me has some DTS films and are silent through the built in app but ok through firestick.

baux

I got my gz950 yesterday and there is no sound from any app with both hdmi or spdif. All the settings on the TV and the receiver are correct. When i switch over to netflix for example,my receiver then switches to "tv audio", but then there is just no sound. Only thing that works is volume on my receiver with the Panasonic remote,so thats handy atleast. Allready tried different hdmi cables and to disconnect the plug and viearra off/on etcetc.
This is just stupid.
It was working fine with the same receiver in combination with the LG C8.

tom 2000

I got my gz950 yesterday and there is no sound from any app with both hdmi or spdif. All the settings on the TV and the receiver are correct. When i switch over to netflix for example,my receiver then switches to "tv audio", but then there is just no sound. Only thing that works is volume on my receiver with the Panasonic remote,so thats handy atleast. Allready tried different hdmi cables and to disconnect the plug and viearra off/on etcetc.
This is just stupid.
It was working fine with the same receiver in combination with the LG C8.
I assume you selected Cinema in sound settings on tv?

baux

I assume you selected Cinema in sound settings on tv?
Yes. But I still get no sound. And it defaults to tv speaker every time after I try to select "home cinema". Then I get the message "please check your hdmi connections"etc. After that i restart my receiver and then I am able to select "home cinema", but then there is just no sound after I want to watch netflix,but the receiver switched to tv audio. So it doesnt make sense that there is no sound.

baux

Have you turned on VieraLink? It's required for ARC to work.
Yes, in my other message I said that I also switched viera off/on.
The ARC is only working when using the volume control of my receiver with the panasonic remote. But at the same time no sound from apps after i see that the receiver switches to tv audio even.

Also... There was a bug dating right back to the EZ which meant that you got no audio from Netflix if you went from a HDMI input to Netflix. The workaround was to go to Freeview first and then to Netflix. Don't know if problem still persists...

baux

Also... There was a bug dating right back to the EZ which meant that you got no audio from Netflix if you went from a HDMI input to Netflix. The workaround was to go to Freeview first and then to Netflix. Don't know if problem still persists...
The no sound problem is not only related to Netflix but all streaming apps like Plex.

Worth checking anyway. I don't remember if it affected other streaming services as I was primarily using Netflix. If I was on my TiVo on HDMI and went to Netflix, I got no audio, unless I went to Freeview first and then Netflix.

rhodos

I dont even have Freeview,because I have the Dutch appstore.
I have the 950 and a Yammy amp. Like many I never got ARC to work; but I did get SPDIF (optical) to work without having to change anything. I did turn TV speakers OFF; perhaps that the trick.

If anyone has a working 950 thru ARC to AVR I'd be interested to know the make of the AVR as even though I only have 5.1 I do feel I am missing out with only optical (not really I know). I can't put the audio direct to my AVR as it doesn't pass 4K :(

baux

I have the 950 and a Yammy amp. Like many I never got ARC to work; but I did get SPDIF (optical) to work without having to change anything. I did turn TV speakers OFF; perhaps that the trick.

If anyone has a working 950 thru ARC to AVR I'd be interested to know the make of the AVR as even though I only have 5.1 I do feel I am missing out with only optical (not really I know). I can't put the audio direct to my AVR as it doesn't pass 4K :(
I have the Denon 1400H. And ARC and SPDIF worked with the LG Oled, but not with this TV. They just dont like eachother. Next I'll try to disconnect receiver from the TV , turn TV ON>Off, then connect receiver, then turn on TV again. And if that doesnt work,then it will never. Why cant they make this ARC thing stable. So annoying.

Edit: Just did the disconnecting etc. Still no sound with ARC or SPDIF. What a piece of junk.

Last edited:

rhodos

I have the Denon 1400H. And ARC and SPDIF worked with the LG Oled, but not with this TV. They just dont like eachother. Next I'll try to disconnect receiver from the TV , turn TV ON>Off, then connect receiver, then turn on TV again. And if that doesnt work,then it will never. Why cant they make this ARC thing stable. So annoying.

Edit: Just did the disconnecting etc. Still no sound with ARC or SPDIF. What a piece of junk.
I very briefly had an LG C9 before the 950; it though had very poor grey screen uniformity and went back with the 950 replacing it.

ARC worked perfectly though with the LG an the Yammy AMP.

I agree very annoying, the web is full of us frustrated Panny TV owners not able to get ARC working. Never mind; great picture and optical isn't that bad.

B7NTU

Hi, Can someone please help me I’ve had the GZ950 since Dec 19. I do all my viewing in prof 1&2 (day/night) settings but now whenever it detects a HDR signal it does not enable HDR. The picture remains dull. I’ve tried the TV’s built in apps, Nvidia shield, fire TV, Apple TV same result. Also all other settings i.e Normal/True cinema/THX all remain at 100%. Any suggestions? I’ve done a full reset but no luck!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Had the 950 since last August. Used ARC to a Sonos Beam which worked apart from the crackle bug (now fixed) and then moved to a Denon X2300 with ARC and had no issues at all. Setup with no special settings just ARC set on amp and home cinema on TV abd using HDMI2.
Switch between 4-5 different inputs and internal apps with no issues.

Last edited:

Colin McPhee

I am trying to decide between this TV and the new HZ1000. I have an LG C9 and an old GT50 plasma. I really like the THX mode on the GT50 and wondered what it was like on this TV. Is it different to the professional modes. I’m asking because I really like them on the GT50 and noticed the HZ1000 doesn’t have THX support anymore. Any help would be most appreciated.

mikej

Hi, Can someone please help me I’ve had the GZ950 since Dec 19. I do all my viewing in prof 1&2 (day/night) settings but now whenever it detects a HDR signal it does not enable HDR. The picture remains dull. I’ve tried the TV’s built in apps, Nvidia shield, fire TV, Apple TV same result. Also all other settings i.e Normal/True cinema/THX all remain at 100%. Any suggestions? I’ve done a full reset but no luck!
When you say "all other settings i.e Normal/True cinema/THX all remain at 100%", can you explain what you mean ?

If Luminance Level and Contrast are on 100%, then that would suggest the TV has detected HDR content.

If you have the UHD Netflix package, try watching an episode of Lost In Space. You should see the Dolby Vision logo appear in the top right hand corner if HDR is working properly.

I dont even have Freeview,because I have the Dutch appstore.
Do you not having any kind of terrestrial DVB tuner in your TV?

It's not going to be of great comfort to you, but I can tell you that Onkyo amps play very well with Panasonic TVs.

B7NTU

When you say "all other settings i.e Normal/True cinema/THX all remain at 100%", can you explain what you mean ?

If Luminance Level and Contrast are on 100%, then that would suggest the TV has detected HDR content.

If you have the UHD Netflix package, try watching an episode of Lost In Space. You should see the Dolby Vision logo appear in the top right hand corner if HDR is working properly.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
All settings default to 100% contrast/Luminace when detects HDR. They use to all have there own configurations i.e prof 1 was contrast 60 Lum 90 - Prof 2 was contrast 30 Lum 90.

As for Dolby Vision that kicks in no problem no issues there. It’s regular HDR that it doesn't active in. E.g tried Grand tour and other 4K HDR shows on prime and HDR did not kick in picture is dark and dull. Tried in prof 1/2 / true Cinema / THX modes.

mikej

All settings default to 100% contrast/Luminace when detects HDR. They use to all have there own configurations i.e prof 1 was contrast 60 Lum 90 - Prof 2 was contrast 30 Lum 90.
That's normal for HDR - those two settings are overridden no matter what picture mode you are in. You can change them but that would lessen the impact of the HDR effect.

As for Dolby Vision that kicks in no problem no issues there. It’s regular HDR that it doesn't active in. E.g tried Grand tour and other 4K HDR shows on prime and HDR did not kick in picture is dark and dull. Tried in prof 1/2 / true Cinema / THX modes.
Are you sure you've selected the 4K version of the Grand Tour ? Look for 'UHD' in the top left corner of the thumbnail. I've just tried the first episode of series 3 and HDR is detected - the picture looks bright and colourful, even in the Pro2 picture mode.

While the program is playing, press the play button and 'HDR Ultra HD' should be displayed in the bottom left corner.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Make sure you are actually watching the 4K version on Amazon Prime. You need to find the specific one. HDR works fine with the Grand Tour do just check you’re not watching the normal HD version.

B7NTU

That's normal for HDR - those two settings are overridden no matter what picture mode you are in. You can change them but that would lessen the impact of the HDR effect.

Are you sure you've selected the 4K version of the Grand Tour ? Look for 'UHD' in the top left corner of the thumbnail. I've just tried the first episode of series 3 and HDR is detected - the picture looks bright and colourful, even in the Pro2 picture mode.

While the program is playing, press the play button and 'HDR Ultra HD' should be displayed in the bottom left corner.
Yes it’s definitely the UHD version tried on various settings HDR not kicking in even with cont/Lum set to 100. Yesterday it was working fine always used prof1&2 only for day & night settings.

when you watch HDR movies what cont/Lum do you use and in which mode for day & night?
Thanks

mikej

Yes it’s definitely the UHD version tried on various settings HDR not kicking in even with cont/Lum set to 100. Yesterday it was working fine always used prof1&2 only for day & night settings.

when you watch HDR movies what cont/Lum do you use and in which mode for day & night?
Thanks
As I said before, Luminance and Contrast should default to 100 for HDR content and there's no need to change it. If HDR content isn't correctly identified then changing these to 100 won't 'force' HDR.

If you're having HDR problems, one thing to check is that the Colour Gamut is set to the HDR default of Rec.2020 (Advanced settings)

You'll also need a sufficiently high broadband speed to stream 4K HDR without issues, so make sure that is OK. The major streaming services are throttling their bandwidth during the covid-19 crisis, so this could cause problems I guess, but I haven't had any issues streaming HDR, personally.

I use the Pro 2 picture mode for most of my SDR and HDR viewing and Dolby Vision Dark for DV HDR.

Trending threads

Latest News

Tidal brings Dolby Atmos Music to home cinema setups
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Technics announces SL-1210GAE limited edition turntable
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen 88-inch Beovision Harmony 8K OLED TV launched
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Monitor Audio launches IMS-4 music streamer