Quantcast

Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

devlino

Can anyone help me with a background issue? (Can't find how to start anew thread!)
I have set up my picture and everything looks great but when playing 4:3 or letterbox movies the 'black' part of the screen is showing dark grey i.e. it is partially lit. The blacks in the movie are great though. Surely these pixels should be off when they have no signal.
My previous Sony LCD border was darker than this!
A couple I had to hand, The Lighthouse and Nosferatu, both jet black. (Pro1) but same in other modes

Attachments

Delstron

Standard Member
I bought the TV, and just connected one satellite (Astra 19.2E) for the German feed and use DVB for the UK channels (the Eutelsat 9E for the Greek feed comes in on its own decoder and feeds in to the TV via HDMI). I did this as someone said that, although there are two tuners for satellite, they have to be feeds from the same satellite as it is for watching one program while recording a different one.

I am more than happy to read any information you might have that will allow me to have Astra 28.E too though.

Thanks again!
Ok then, I have the facility to connect two dishes pointed at different sats to the tv so will do a little test now and report back.

Can anyone help me with a background issue? (Can't find how to start anew thread!)
I have set up my picture and everything looks great but when playing 4:3 or letterbox movies the 'black' part of the screen is showing dark grey i.e. it is partially lit. The blacks in the movie are great though. Surely these pixels should be off when they have no signal.
My previous Sony LCD border was darker than this!
What's the source of your pictures? With Brightness on the default setting of 0, your black bars should be black. Check that you haven't set your HDMI range to be Full on your inputs, it should be Limited or whatever the Panasonic terms are. Best is to have both player and TV HDMI levels set to Auto so that they negotiate the correct settings.

Delstron

Standard Member
Ok then, I have the facility to connect two dishes pointed at different sats to the tv so will do a little test now and report back.
Ok have done the following test. Connect dish 1 (28e) to tv sat 1 input and tune in a selection of UK Freesat channels. Connect dish 2 (42e) to sat 1 input and tune in a selection of Turksat channels. Note it is only possible to tune and store from dishes connected to input 1.

connect dish1 to input 1. Dish 2 to input 2

select dual tuner mode in tv menu

search through channel list - only channels from dish 1 can be seen, no turksat channels from 42e connected to input 2

start recording from a dish 1 channel. Then switch to a dish 2 channel which is then visible.

summary. You cannot watch channels from two different satellites. To see channels from dish 2 you need to be recording from dish 1.

hope this helps

psyxologos

Standard Member
Ok have done the following test. Connect dish 1 (28e) to tv sat 1 input and tune in a selection of UK Freesat channels. Connect dish 2 (42e) to sat 1 input and tune in a selection of Turksat channels. Note it is only possible to tune and store from dishes connected to input 1.

connect dish1 to input 1. Dish 2 to input 2

select dual tuner mode in tv menu

search through channel list - only channels from dish 1 can be seen, no turksat channels from 42e connected to input 2

start recording from a dish 1 channel. Then switch to a dish 2 channel which is then visible.

summary. You cannot watch channels from two different satellites. To see channels from dish 2 you need to be recording from dish 1.

hope this helps
Thabks. I have a switch, which means I can have both dishes on the same input (1, as you say). Perhaps that could work. I don't know, I. way oror other week now....

tmg

Anyone else having a problem where the YouTube app isn't working?

Mine hasn't been working for a couple weeks now.

devlino

A few movies via Plex are slightly stretched via inbuilt app but ok via fire TV box, is there a setting for the ratio in pic settings? Can't find one but I'm sure I've seen it.
It is there when watching terrestrial TV but not in Plex.

Last edited:

Chimpkid

cheers. Canary Jules is coming over towards the end of the month. Apart from the actual calibration, I’m worried I may just bombard him with questions as there is so much I don’t know but am interested in.
if you see someone on the news in a Norwich city shirt running screaming down the a11, that could be the impact I have... :eek:
I’ve used Jules a couple of times. Really nice bloke and really good. I’m still pondering if I’ll get my set calibrated yet.

eagerbeaver

Standard Member
Is the gz950/1000's Dolby vision limited to netflix only? Has anyone tried playing a Dolby vision video via USB? Or from a Blu-ray player?

JustinL

Is the gz950/1000's Dolby vision limited to netflix only? Has anyone tried playing a Dolby vision video via USB? Or from a Blu-ray player?
The GZ950/1000 is certified for Dolby Vision not just the apps, so if the source can output dolby vision the tv will recognise it and play it accordingly, I have the GZ1000 and Dolby Vision works with Apple TV and Shield TV without any issues.

kosmic

The GZ950/1000 is certified for Dolby Vision not just the apps, so if the source can output dolby vision the tv will recognise it and play it accordingly, I have the GZ1000 and Dolby Vision works with Apple TV and Shield TV without any issues.
how are you playing DV files on your Shield TV ?
i have the shield 2019 pro and are having issues , thanks

thedoswells

A question I will ask at my calibration but interested to know what others do.
a lot of people say they use Pro1 in the day and Pro2 at night, or perhaps just one of them maybe with minor tweaks to luminosity or colour temperature.
but of course day to night is a gradual process. Are people constantly changing their settings? For example if you are watching a long film as it is getting dark. Or do you try to keep lighting conditions in the room the same for different times of the day?
i thought it was advisable to avoid using the ambient sensor, is that right?
cheers

Samv0808

Distinguished Member
A question I will ask at my calibration but interested to know what others do.
a lot of people say they use Pro1 in the day and Pro2 at night, or perhaps just one of them maybe with minor tweaks to luminosity or colour temperature.
but of course day to night is a gradual process. Are people constantly changing their settings? For example if you are watching a long film as it is getting dark. Or do you try to keep lighting conditions in the room the same for different times of the day?
i thought it was advisable to avoid using the ambient sensor, is that right?
cheers
During calibration I settled on having my night setting as luminance of 40 (was pro 2 at 30) IT really makes a more dynamic picture. Also it’s bright enough in the day. Only in the brightest sunniest day did I use my brighter calibrated day time setting. 40 is a great all round luminescence for me requiring very little change (SDR)

thedoswells

During calibration I settled on having my night setting as luminance of 40 (was pro 2 at 30) IT really makes a more dynamic picture. Also it’s bright enough in the day. Only in the brightest sunniest day did I use my brighter calibrated day time setting. 40 is a great all round luminescence for me requiring very little change (SDR)
thanks, similar to me then. ambient sensor off I assume?