Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Blueking

Unfortunately the built in YouTube app only does stereo 😕
Cheers for info.

Speaking of wall brackets, what's a good slim profile wall bracket for the 65" 950 under £35?
I got Sanus slt3-b3 from Costco, think screw fix also sell it around £36, very strong and it tilts and pulls out 4 inches for cable access.

I made 65GZ950 jig from cardboard
20191102_185536.jpg

I set it in full tilt mode ready to hang on the wall easily.
20191108_173644.jpg

20191108_173619.jpg

mushroomkid

Cheers for info.

I got Sanus slt3-b3 from Costco, think screw fix also sell it around £36, very strong and it tilts and pulls out 4 inches for cable access.

I made 65GZ950 jig from cardboard
View attachment 1217106

I set it in full tilt mode ready to hang on the wall easily.
View attachment 1217107

View attachment 1217108
Looks good. Is it noob friendly? I've never mounted a TV on the wall before.

There's 2 on the screwfix website,

Is it this one; Sanus Low-Profile TV Wall Mount Fixed 47-80

Or this one Sanus Tilting Wall Mount Tilt 47-80

Wobag

So there has been lots of mentions of controling the tvs modes with google home.

However, with Amazon Fire stick soon getting both Disney+ and the Apple app, Im thinking of getting one of those, which is obviously intended to be controlled by an Amazon Echo. So has anyone tried controlling the TV Modes with an Echo, and that would be the ideal solution.

Moonda

Can someone please confirm that the onboard GZ YouTube app can output multiple channel 5.1 audio when the sound is configured to home theater mode, I only seem to get stereo ?
I thought every version of the YouTube App is stereo only (maybe besides their exclusive content for premium subscriber)?

Could someone with a GZ950 please measure the distance between the bottom of the TV and the 4 VESA mounting points?
Distance on the GZ1000U is 100mm to the lower holes & 500mm to the upper holes.

So there has been lots of mentions of controling the tvs modes with google home.

However, with Amazon Fire stick soon getting both Disney+ and the Apple app, Im thinking of getting one of those, which is obviously intended to be controlled by an Amazon Echo. So has anyone tried controlling the TV Modes with an Echo, and that would be the ideal solution.
The Amazon App on iPhone actually lets you use Alexa, so if you’ve got that, test it out. You’ll need to register your TV with Amazon first though... Setup | About Voice Control | TV | Digital AV Support | Panasonic

Last edited:

PS3 Kiwi

I have a buyer for my Panasonic 2016 58" DX902B and thinking of replacing it with the 55" GZ1000 (GZ950 not available in NZ). How much of an upgrade is the OLED compared to the excellent DX902 LED. Should I save my money and wait for a while?

Blueking

Looks good. Is it noob friendly? I've never mounted a TV on the wall before.

There's 2 on the screwfix website,

Is it this one; Sanus Low-Profile TV Wall Mount Fixed 47-80

Or this one Sanus Tilting Wall Mount Tilt 47-80
Sorry, looks like screwfix don't sell the same one, it can hold 68kg, and is very stable.

Costco have just put up the price up, its this one :
Sanus SLT3-B2 Costco

20191019_145710.jpg

20191019_145732.jpg

Working out the offset measurements is the hardest thing, but choosing the best fixtures for your wall is the biggest worry. I'm picking up two 10mm threaded bar bolts from my old plasma mount which are bolted through to the outside wall, and I'm using plasterboard anchor bolts with setting tool, which are great but only work if there is gap, drywall have random blobs of cement between plasterboard and breeze block. See example bolt I tested on cutout piece of plasterboard from my wall.

20191109_080022.jpg

This is my own plasma TH-42PWD4 mount, I git to fit new mount, but its offset different on GZ. I made the cardboard jig to help me decide if I want to mount centre speakers above or below 65GZ950, I decided to put speakers below because I don't need to mount them and easy to remove for fire access.

20191102_112805.jpg

Sanus slt3-b2 ready for GZ, just got to move the cables higher up the wall and then run new HDMI conduit in the wall. Added two plates of steel from b&q from the old bottom bolts.

20191104_165410.jpg

sirbadger

Watching See in Dolby Vision and even on dark it's too bright, possibly stupid question but what settings should be used to lower the brightness without losing any of the picture quality?

dion 6

Hi my 65 inch GZ950 just developed a fault last night a solid green vertical line i contacted Richer Sounds and they are sending me a new one out next week. Great customer service now i've got to get it off the wall and put it back in the box.

Attachments

Fillius

Watching See in Dolby Vision and even on dark it's too bright, possibly stupid question but what settings should be used to lower the brightness without losing any of the picture quality?
If you turn on the HDR Auto-Brightness then it will use the ambient sensor to adjust the picture to be suitable for the lighting in the room.

I normally have this off, but particularly for DV, I have had to enable it for some scenes where I was worried for my retinas.

The flashing scenes in the hospital on Stranger Things season 3 were unbearable in a fully dark room.

JonnyF73

Novice Member
Which Sky box have you got? Is it the earlier one with a normal power cord or the later model with the external power pack? Mine's the original V1 that's giving me the sound dropout problem.
Sorry for the delay, it must be the original as it does not have an external power supply.

Jon.

JonnyF73

Novice Member
I have a buyer for my Panasonic 2016 58" DX902B and thinking of replacing it with the 55" GZ1000 (GZ950 not available in NZ). How much of an upgrade is the OLED compared to the excellent DX902 LED. Should I save my money and wait for a while?
Night and day difference! Even upgrading from my Panny Plasma was a massive difference imho.

Russ_64

Sorry for the delay, it must be the original as it does not have an external power supply.
It is a known issue with the Q v1 box and DD, I even took audio direct from Q box to soundbar to check if it was the TV causing it but it was not. Only setting Q to Normal got rid of issue.

I have read recently that using it on Normal for a few days and then going back to DD can help. I have now gone back to DD via TV to SB and not noticed as many drops as before...... will see.

JonnyF73

Novice Member
It is a known issue with the Q v1 box and DD, I even took audio direct from Q box to soundbar to check if it was the TV causing it but it was not. Only setting Q to Normal got rid of issue.

I have read recently that using it on Normal for a few days and then going back to DD can help. I have now gone back to DD via TV to SB and not noticed as many drops as before...... will see.
Sky said to do that as well, set to Normal for 24hrs, then back to DD, but it didn’t make a difference for me.

I think the only option is to have the sky box replaced, I would hope they will replace with the new version... however, the problem I have currently is convincing the missus that it’s OK to lose all of the recordings on the box - actually, I still have a season of car sausage that I want to finish off first (brilliant OLED and I’m watching Car SOS! Hehe)

For now the main problem for me seems to be isolated to the internal Netflix app (drop out / crackling) but turning off the sky box seems to work around the issue, so not too bad atm. (But an annoying and weird issue)

If anyone (on the latest gz950 software 3.202) can confirm that replacing the skyq box fixed the sound issues that would be a good start!

Cheers,

Jon.

Russ_64

I think I can live with mine for now, there are rumors of a new HDR box in beta test :)

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Hi my 65 inch GZ950 just developed a fault last night a solid green vertical line i contacted Richer Sounds and they are sending me a new one out next week. Great customer service now i've got to get it off the wall and put it back in the box.
Sadly exactly the same thing happened with my first 950. I posted a similar picture to yours with a green vertical line earlier in the thread.

RS insisted on the return being sent back in a huge flight case, which they arranged, and the delivery men packed it for me.

dion 6

Sadly exactly the same thing happened with my first 950. I posted a similar picture to yours with a green vertical line earlier in the thread.

RS insisted on the return being sent back in a huge flight case, which they arranged, and the delivery men packed it for me.
Luckily I've still got the box and all the packing.I remember your earlier thread on the subject but i could'nt find it hope the new one's a good one because i just love the TV. I've got it wall mounted with a socket behind it so its just a matter of of unpluging it one hdmi cat 5 and tv aerial and lifting it off the wall mount got to go now starting series 2 of Jack Ryan:)

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Luckily I've still got the box and all the packing.I remember your earlier thread on the subject but i could'nt find it hope the new one's a good one because i just love the
Well second time was a charm for me and I love this TV as much as most. Fingers crossed for you. It was post 730 where I posted a pic of my green line.

09A0AED6-40E6-41E5-9B87-5E2C70B225A5.jpeg

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Got an opportunity to compare this against the DX-902B today. The OLED was overall better but was quite surprised how good the 902 looked. It was noticeably brighter and had punchier picture on bright scenes. Anyone who thinks the difference is night and day needs to go to SpecSavers :)

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Thanks. That is surprisingly low considering the quality. It really looks great.
On the face of it yes but, it's 33% higher than DV on Netflix. By comparison, Apple TV DV uses about 30Mb/s of bandwidth.

With modern compression methods, it's difficult to know what this actually means and the proof is most definitely in the pudding, so to speak.

Paul

criggy

On the face of it yes but, it's 33% higher than DV on Netflix. By comparison, Apple TV DV uses about 30Mb/s of bandwidth.

With modern compression methods, it's difficult to know what this actually means and the proof is most definitely in the pudding, so to speak.

Paul
True and having watched a few things on iPlayer and Netflix DV now I do think things like artificial grain being added to the likes of ST3 make the image appear less clean than, I assume untouched, BBC docs?

PS3 Kiwi

I was browsing the spec sheet for the GZ1000 which is the model we have in NZ.

On the Panasonic NZ websites specs, it says that this TV has an Ultra Bright Panel and Blade speaker.

Are these specs the same for the GZ950? I can't find anything similar on Curry's website.