Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

THX1138UK

Sorry I don't quite follow your first statement. 30 is the way to go but pro calibrators would set it to zero?

Just trying to figure out if 30 is actually 0/a base with no processing, or if it is indeed adding sharpness to the source.
I found the Panasonic default for sharpness to be very accurate on my GZ950B. However, you really need a sharpness test pattern, and you should adjust your sharpness control until the image is sharp, but no halo effect is introduced.

I use the test pattern from the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark disc.

I think for many people on AVForums it’s become the norm to turn sharpness down to 0, because older TV models used to be over sharp by default - but that’s not necessarily the case now. So you cannot assume 0 sharpness is correct.

Regards,
James.

jpr141

0 looks more natural and correct to my eyes. I've flicked between 30 and 0 a few times and have settled on 0. But it could be my mind telling me 0 is right. I do seem to have a knack for getting pictures natural by eye though. If I say so myself. lol Family members will comment the TV looks right and better now once I've got it where I think its right.

thx75

I don’t assume anything, I have already calibrated some GZ and double checked sharpness against a specific test pattern. The correct setting is 0 if you like to avoid any over processing, exactly like previous Panasonic models (VT, EZ, FZ etc.).

thx75

0 looks more natural and correct to my eyes. I've flicked between 30 and 0 a few times and have settled on 0. But it could be my mind telling me 0 is right. I do seem to have a knack for getting pictures natural by eye though. If I say so myself. lol Family members will comment the TV looks right and better now once I've got it where I think its right.
No, it’s not your mind, you actually have gold eyes and found by yourself the correct setting in order to avoid overprocessing. ;)

jpr141

As for the pro setting being at 30. Someone gave a reasonable explanation for why that might be. Also being as director intended probably is mainly about the colour.

And some pro reviews around will obviously test sharpness. I doubt they are just sticking it on 0 without checking things out first.

jpr141

A good a place as any to ask these questions. Motion how do you guys find motion on your OLEDS. Those who have come from a decent LED TV. Do you prefer it? How is it? Better? Different?

And also basically everyone says for movies OLEDs are awesome much better than any LED TV. But when it comes to other viewing, such as sports, drama shows etc Do you enjoy viewing these shows more on your OLEDs? Over and about previous LED TVs you've owned.

Mikeyt271

Standard Member
A good a place as any to ask these questions. Motion how do you guys find motion on your OLEDS. Those who have come from a decent LED TV. Do you prefer it? How is it? Better? Different?

Just the one day in owning this screen & so far so good - initially tested with Bumlebee 4k blu ray & the difference between OLED & my lcd TX screen was amazing. There was no blur, on the lcd I could see a blur around the outline of the characters etc & his moved with them as they moved. There is a depth to OLED that is marked over lcd & this was noticed by 2 friends who were blown away by this screen. Playing the PS4 Star Wars Battlefront - smooth movement & images plus much crisper colours everywhere, again there is an added depth.

And also basically everyone says for movies OLEDs are awesome much better than any LED TV. But when it comes to other viewing, such as sports, drama shows etc Do you enjoy viewing these shows more on your OLEDs? Over and about previous LED TVs you've owned.

For sports I haven’t tried yet so cannot comment. But I’ve watched Game of Thrones on this screen & it was just a thrilling watch on OLED, the snow falling in one scene was just so clear & smooth. Again the depth to the picture really immerses you in scenes. Battle scenes the clarity & no blockiness with dark or night scenes.

I’m pretty sure there will be better feedback than my basic attempt - but you would not be disappointed by upgrading to an OLED if this is your plan. I can not wait to get home & watch my blu rays on this screen & cant wipe the smile off my face.

I’ve had no issue with Netflix & crackling either, no lines on the panel which was an issue with my lcd.

Moonda

Well I’ve gone Plasma to OLED & noticed an improvement in all areas.

So that should mean going from an LED (being an inferior picture to Plasma), to OLED would also see an improvement.

thedoswells

I find everything hugely better on the 950 over my previous led, and in fact over any other led ive seen that friends have etc. even pretty new models.
Films, sports, dramas, all are sublime now imho :)

tmg

Watching a show on the built in Prime video app and I hear some crackling. I think so anyway. Not had it with Netflix and not watched anything on Prime really.

I am using a soundbar connected using optical

lette

Standard Member
When you are supplying the TV with any form of 4K HDR signal, check in the settings menu that the Colourspace is set to BT2020. For everything other than 4K HDR, you should set it to BT709.
Steve, I have the colour space rec.2020 for 4k hdr and I'm not getting any Dolby vision settings when playing a movie with dolby vision?
I have Dolby vision set to on in the player

Any other ideas guys?

tmg

Steve, I have the colour space rec.2020 for 4k hdr and I'm not getting any Dolby vision settings when playing a movie with dolby vision?

Any other ideas guys?
Have you got the Dolby Vision notification on? If the TV detects Dolby Vision it pops up a notification in the top right.

If you don't get that then the TV is not receiving it from the source

thedoswells

Any other ideas guys?
Are you playing the movie from a 4K Blu-ray player connected via hdmi? If so, is the hdmi cable definitely certified hdr compliant?

lette

Standard Member
I have yes my friend
I have the panasonic HTB900 sound bar which is hooked up to the arc port on the TV and the panasonic UB450EB going into the back of the sound bar.
I'm using these cables from Amazon or do you recommend different?
Amazon

Last edited:

Moonda

UB450EB going into the back of the sound bar.
Sorry, i'm skimming through, so may've missed something.

You're saying your UHD player is getting to your TV via the soundbar? Have you confirmed the soundbar is able to pass through Dolby Vision?

steverobertsbbc

You've hit the nail on the head. The HTB900 does not support Dolby Vision.

@lette , try plugging your player directly into the TV instead.

babator

Long thread, I have read through most of it.

GZ950 owners, are you generally pleased with your TV (picture, motion, usability, realiability)? Meaning, is the crackle the only issue?

If I understood, the crackles are most likely due to DD+ decoder and/or HDMI CEC software weirdness and Panasonic has promised a fix shortly - or is this too optimistic a description?

thedoswells

GZ950 owners, are you generally pleased with your TV (picture, motion, usability, realiability)? Meaning, is the crackle the only issue?

If I understood, the crackles are most likely due to DD+ decoder and/or HDMI CEC software weirdness and Panasonic has promised a fix shortly - or is this too optimistic a description?
Hi. I have the 950 and I can say I am much more than pleased with it.
Picture is incredible, beyond incredible.
Motion is excellent for films, sports etc.
Usability is perfect for me. ‘My home screen 4’ is basic but I find it extremely fast and reliable and does everything I need. If you like a much more advanced os then I think LG’s web os would be more appropriate.
Reliability is tricky because the gz hasn’t been out that long but so far I’ve personally not had a single issue with anything.
I don’t get crackling as I use a panny soundbar but I can make it happen through the internal speakers. I don’t think anyone can be sure what the issue is, or how and when it will be resolved. I personally do trust that Panasonic are looking at it as a top priority though...

For me, the tv has exceeded all expectations. Doesn’t mean I think the LG, Sony, Philips oleds are in any way poor though.

tmg

Finally took delivery of my GZ today, first impressions are very good. Difference in picture quality against my fairly new Panasonic TX 50 is night & day. Early days but I’ll report back if any issues on cracklegate 😉

One thing I’ve noted is the HDMi 3 port placing is poor, I can’t then get the back panel on to cover the cables when I plug PS4 in?! Is there a best way to solve this?! Or am I missing something so basic?!
same issue if you're using optical for sound

lette

Standard Member
Thank you so much guys, greatly appreciated
So seeing the player has 2 hdmi slots, it's video port to the TV and the audio port into the bar?

Moonda

Watching a World Cup Qualifier in 4K & felt like a brighter picture. Surprised to see “Custom” appeal to my eyes in terms of grass colour & jerseys etc, but upon switching between it & “Pro 1”, I found “Custom” didn’t handle the darkness as well, losing detail of the trees in the background in the night sky.

So “Pro 1” wins again, for when THX Cinema‘s too dark.

Back to enjoying the Socceroos smash a minnow in 4K. 😏

Last edited:

tmg

No issues with crackling for me & I’m using a Yas-207 via HDMI arc. Very pleased with this tv.
I was referring to the issue about the back cover not fitting. I will probably get a HDMI ARC compatible Soundbar in the future but for the timebeing I am sticking with my YAS-93 + Optical.

Kevo

I upgraded toa 65GZ950 from a Panasonic 55cx802b LED TV (2015) and the motion has improved immensely, so YES i much prefer it. Even the IFC has improved a little bit but i still set it to min.

YES, i enjoy all TV programmes more, be it sports, dramas etc and especially in my case photgraphy stills and home video (4k 30p is so much more clearer and smoother).

I guess in my case I have gone from 55" to 65" which is also a (literally) big improvement. Those 'optimum distances charts' are so true. I sit about 11-12ft away.

Kevo

YES, VERY PLEASED. The crackle is an annoying issue and I do hope they fix it. For now, i'm using sound from my amp more when I wouldn't normally do so for general Freeview TV viewing, which i can live with.