Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

yeah! i choose between 2.2 , 2.2 and 2.4 and i decide 2.3 seems better for me. This has to do with the light conditions in each room! By the way, do you use adaptive backlight control? If yes, low, medium or high? Me i set it to Low.
I have it set to Min, Med or Max is just too noticeable for me.

I'm little confussed with the HDR Brightness Enhancer. By default the number is at 8. This is the correct value or i have to set it to max 15? I have Contrast Control "OFF".

I'm little confussed with the HDR Brightness Enhancer. By default the number is at 8. This is the correct value or i have to set it to max 15? I have Contrast Control "OFF".
Whatever looks good for you is the right setting depends on lightning conditions

If you want HDR picture do you have to select Dynamic on the picture mode?
Have tried it and it looks very garish and far too saturated with colourS...unless someone has some HDR settings they recommend on here??

Usually have my picture mode set to Normal as easy and suits most general content on the freeview tv channels Via my Virgin TiVo box. That’s standard HD so was wondering what the difference is with HDR compared to HD??

When selecting my use with my Amazon 4K firestick it automatically goes into Dolby Vision which have set to Dolby Vision Bright.

Have tried it and it looks very garish and far too saturated with colourS...unless someone has some HDR settings they recommend on here??

Usually have my picture mode set to Normal as easy and suits most general content on the freeview tv channels Via my Virgin TiVo box. That’s standard HD so was wondering what the difference is with HDR compared to HD??

When selecting my use with my Amazon 4K firestick it automatically goes into Dolby Vision which have set to Dolby Vision Bright

For DV or HDR10+ is dynamic hdr setting correct look into menu general into hdmi setting try modus 1 or 2 if picture looks not correct. DV dark is the most accurate setting on this GX 800.
For HDR is static correct setting and repeat above.

When selecting my use with my Amazon 4K firestick it automatically goes into Dolby Vision which have set to Dolby Vision Bright.
You do not have to use the Dynamic picture more for HDR material. Use whatever picture mode works best for you and tweak accordingly. Each picture mode will be remembered for each source you select. So Normal when using your Virgin box outputting standard dynamic range will have settings that are different to Normal when you play a source with HDR (the backlight will go to maximum automatically in whatever settings you are in).
The Amazon Firestick can be set to output everything in Dolby Vision so the TV will automatically switch to whichever DV picture preset you last selected. I prefer Dolby Vision Bright too.
Make sure the HDMI socket you have the Firestick in has the HDMI HDR setting switched to Dynamic (not the Dynamic picture setting) so it can interpret the correct metadata. If you have it set to Static then it won't show DV or HDR10+ correctly.
Also make sure the HDMI settings are set to Mode 2 - this allows for full bandwidth 10-bit HDR signals to be received.

You do not have to use the Dynamic picture more for HDR material. Use whatever picture mode works best for you and tweak accordingly. Each picture mode will be remembered for each source you select. So Normal when using your Virgin box outputting standard dynamic range will have settings that are different to Normal when you play a source with HDR (the backlight will go to maximum automatically in whatever settings you are in).
The Amazon Firestick can be set to output everything in Dolby Vision so the TV will automatically switch to whichever DV picture preset you last selected. I prefer Dolby Vision Bright too.
Make sure the HDMI socket you have the Firestick in has the HDMI HDR setting switched to Dynamic (not the Dynamic picture setting) so it can interpret the correct metadata. If you have it set to Static then it won't show DV or HDR10+ correctly.
Also make sure the HDMI settings are set to Mode 2 - this allows for full bandwidth 10-bit HDR signals to be received.

Thx once again Bingo as I’m a mere tech basics person here....as you’ve prob guessed.
Just that am not aware when in HDR mode as most channels am watching is just HD selected via the TiVo box....
DV is automatically on when switched over to the 4K firestick on HDMI 3 When watching The Mandorlian etc....so that’s easy to know.

it’s just the other picture settings but guess it’s reliant on the correct source coming in via a dvd or Firestick app??

DVD will only ever be standard dynamic range - HDR is only available on 4K HDR Blu-Ray titles and you'll need a player that can output discs as such.
Your 4K Firestick will give you HDR from various apps such as Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV. The TV will automatically detect an HDR signal and switch to the appropriate settings to show HDR. Again, you can choose whichever picture mode you like the look of best when watching an HDR source, and tweak the colour & contrast etc to your own satisfaction.
The latest Virgin Tivo box can output HDR too as far as I know but I think that might be dependant on your subscription.

After calibration , here are my settings for HDR :

MODE PERSONNALISE HDR

RETRO ECLAIRAGE 100
CONTRASTE 100
LUMINOSITE +1
COULEUR 60
TEINTE 0
NETTETE 75
TEMPERATURE COULEUR CHAUD2
COULEUR VIVE DESACTIVE
REMAST COULEUR REC2020 ACTIVE
COMMANDE ADAPT RETRO MINIMUM
SONDE TEMP AMB DESACTIVE
REDUCT BRUIT DESACTIVE
REMAST MPEG DESACTIVE
REMAST RESOLU AUTOMATIQUE
INTELLIGENT FRAME MOYEN
FLUIDIFIER MOUVEM DESACTIVE

-- PARAM DE LUMINOSITE HDR --

DYNAMIC HDR EFFECT DESACTIVE (A fuir comme la peste ! dénature les couleurs et certains blancs)
LUMINOSITE AUTO DESACTIVE
HDR BRIGHTNESS ENHAN 0

-- PARAMETRES AVANCES ---

CONTROLE DU CONTRASTE DESACTIVE
GAMME COULEURS N/A

>> BALANCE DES BLANCS

GAIN R +3
GAIN V 0
GAIN B -1
LIM R -2
LIM V 0
LIM B 0

AJUSTEMENT DETAILLE

Tout laisser à zéro

-- GESTION DE COULEUR --

TR 0
SR 0
LR -45

TV 0
SV 0
LV -22

TB -50
SB +7
LB +50

>> AJUSTEMENT DETAILLE COULEUR

TC -4
SC -50

TM -7
SM +3

TJ +30
SJ +50

-- GAMMA --

GAMMA 2.0

>> AJUSTEMENT DETAILLE DU GAMMA

TOUT LAISSER SUR 0

Let's have a try just for see....😉

Yep just double checked got all those settings in place already here thanks.

Guess going into YouTube and watching a few videos that might be in HDR I might see a difference.

I am a little confused about about the colour gamut settings on the gx800. When watching the TV in hd in all the settings apart from true cinema the default setting for the colour gamut seems to be auto, which sets the colour gamut to native. To me the native colour gamut over saturates the colours and some colours and in particular red have a wrong hue about them which I have to compensate with by using the colour correction in advance settings.
In the normal colour gamut setting on the custom viewing mode the colours seem more natural and the picture looks more balanced.
So to my eyes normal gamut is better than native, many people have also mentioned that true cinema gives the most natural picture and the default setting for that is normal gamut.
Why then does the gx800 when in auto gamut mode default to the native colour gamut when in my opinion the normal mode gives the better colour reproduction?
Also when in picture settings if I go to the normal picture mode, which I am sure most people would probably use, the colour gamut goes to native by default and it can not be changed. Surely if normal gamut gives a better picture than native, then normal should be the default?

I am a little confused about about the colour gamut settings on the gx800. When watching the TV in hd in all the settings apart from true cinema the default setting for the colour gamut seems to be auto, which sets the colour gamut to native. To me the native colour gamut over saturates the colours and some colours and in particular red have a wrong hue about them which I have to compensate with by using the colour correction in advance settings.
In the normal colour gamut setting on the custom viewing mode the colours seem more natural and the picture looks more balanced.
So to my eyes normal gamut is better than native, many people have also mentioned that true cinema gives the most natural picture and the default setting for that is normal gamut.
Why then does the gx800 when in auto gamut mode default to the native colour gamut when in my opinion the normal mode gives the better colour reproduction?
Also when in picture settings if I go to the normal picture mode, which I am sure most people would probably use, the colour gamut goes to native by default and it can not be changed. Surely if normal gamut gives a better picture than native, then normal should be the default?
Your remark makes sense but only Panasonic's technical support can give u you a straight answer. I suspect it's a personal preference they hang on to. All depends on source material is it streaming, broadcast or dvd, Blu-ray . It's all about balance and choices sometimes your choice may give you the best result and vice versa. In the end it's all about your eyes and if your happy with it so be it.

The NORMAL picture profile is not an accurate picture mode. Panasonic use it to show off some of the features of the TV. Since the GX800 is capable of displaying an expanded wide colour gamut, they have chosen to set this as the default (NATIVE).
The TRUE CINEMA picture profile is the only accurate mode and therefore the default gamut is set to NORMAL. So if the source is HD, the gamut will be correct Rec.709, If the source is 4K HDR encoded with WCG then it will display correct BT.2020 gamut.

Does anyone know to get the best HDR luminance on Gaming console do we have to set the picture mode to Game or Custom?
I've found this.
Here it doesnt refer to Custom picture mode but i tested and i see the picture is more bright in custom than its in True Cinema Mode.

Attachments

• bandicam 2021-01-17 18-55-15-259 (1).jpg
    bandicam 2021-01-17 18-55-15-259 (1).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 101
The NORMAL picture profile is not an accurate picture mode. Panasonic use it to show off some of the features of the TV. Since the GX800 is capable of displaying an expanded wide colour gamut, they have chosen to set this as the default (NATIVE).
The TRUE CINEMA picture profile is the only accurate mode and therefore the default gamut is set to NORMAL. So if the source is HD, the gamut will be correct Rec.709, If the source is 4K HDR encoded with WCG then it will display correct BT.2020 gamut.
Yes I do think that true cinema is the better and more accurate setting, but what I think the problem is for a lot of people, me included is that after watching the normal picture mode , which I think oversaturates the image, then going back to true cinema, the picture looks washed out and lacking colour. To compensate I have increased the colour intensity slightly when I watch the true cinema setting, then after watching for a few minutes to allow my eyes to adjust it seems prefable to me over the normal setting.

Can anyone give me advice on connecting a soundbar with hdmi arc. Just picked up a soundbar which has hdmi arc (it's the Yamaha yas 107 if that helps) and plugged it in the arc port on the TV but not getting any sound through the bar. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Can anyone give me advice on connecting a soundbar with hdmi arc. Just picked up a soundbar which has hdmi arc (it's the Yamaha yas 107 if that helps) and plugged it in the arc port on the TV but not getting any sound through the bar. Anyone know what the problem might be?
Have you connected the other end of the HDMI to the OUT/ARC port on the soundbar, rather than the IN port?

Hello All,

i started to see horizontal grey shadows on the screen starching from end 2 end. Its not visible always, but by blue or grey tones you can clear see it. If i use pure 4K content or 1080p *4pixel is not there.

Has anybody ideas what behind it and how i can solve it? Is it a input source problem?

Hello All,

i started to see horizontal grey shadows on the screen starching from end 2 end. Its not visible always, but by blue or grey tones you can clear see it. If i use pure 4K content or 1080p *4pixel is not there.

Has anybody ideas what behind it and how i can solve it? Is it a input source problem?
Difficult to say for certain without seeing a picture of it, but it's probably a combination of picture settings and a poorly encoded source if it's not there on all content, otherwise I would have suggested it might be DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) which can affect LCD TV's.
If you are trying to view something from an external source connected via HDMI make sure you're using a fast HDMI cable and have the HDMI inputs set to Mode 2 for HDR content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom