Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

I’ve still yet to encounter the FreeviewPlay bug, can someone explain what it is exactly?

whenever I fire up the FVP catch-up, it always works (so far..) Or is it something else?

Freeview Play services don’t load basically.

Although Jack Ryan season 1 is now showing as Dolby Vision/Atmos on the Amazon app.. don't remember it being DV before?

Season 1 of Jack Ryan was the first series on Amazon Prime Video that's available to watch in Dolby Vision. Season 2 is just HDR.
Just did a quick google search, apparently Bosch season 2 is in DV as well.

Why doesn't Panasonic release a complete changelog of what's been changed? It's annoying. It reminds me of some apps on the Google Play Store. "general performance improvements and bug fixes" :facepalm:

Season 1 of Jack Ryan was the first series on Amazon Prime Video that's available to watch in Dolby Vision. Season 2 is just HDR.
Just did a quick google search, apparently Bosch season 2 is in DV as well.

Why doesn't Panasonic release a complete changelog of what's been changed? It's annoying. It reminds me of some apps on the Google Play Store. "general performance improvements and bug fixes" :facepalm:

Cheers for that, first time I’d seen the DV logo, so assumed it was new.

Agree about wanting a more detailed change log on new firmware releases. Annoying.

Hey guys, i own this TV for 4 months and everything worked fine but now and after a few minutes after turning it on it displays black lines. Anyone have an idea what it could be?
IMG_20200205_181957.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this a TV issue, but thought I would seek some input. Just watched my first ever episode of Deadwood on blu-ray (three season bargain!) and there were terrible blocky artifacts in dark scenes like a bad youtube upload. My Blu-ray player is a relatively new Panasonic DP-UB450, which has played both HD and UHD discs pretty nicely until now. I just checked Deadwood b-r reviews and most were raving about picture quality.

The only processing I have running on TV is IFC on min, as the rest never seem beneficial to me. I've checked my HDMI lead connections and the obvious stuff. Any ideas?

Received my 50" gx800 today. Replaced my old Samsung e6500 plasma upstairs. Picture out of the box is decent..but am.looking for picture recommendations for normal tv viewing & ps4 hdr gaming.

Yeah, I’ve seen the settings on that site but am looking for more in depth information for advanced setting, gamma, white balance etc, if anyone has links or which page they in in here, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Received my 50" gx800 today. Replaced my old Samsung e6500 plasma upstairs. Picture out of the box is decent..but am.looking for picture recommendations for normal tv viewing & ps4 hdr gaming.
What PS4 firmware version do you have?

Yeah, I’ve seen the settings on that site but am looking for more in depth information for advanced setting, gamma, white balance etc, if anyone has links or which page they in in here, I would be grateful.

Thanks
What site? Can’t see who you’re replying to?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this a TV issue, but thought I would seek some input. Just watched my first ever episode of Deadwood on blu-ray (three season bargain!) and there were terrible blocky artifacts in dark scenes like a bad youtube upload. My Blu-ray player is a relatively new Panasonic DP-UB450, which has played both HD and UHD discs pretty nicely until now. I just checked Deadwood b-r reviews and most were raving about picture quality.

The only processing I have running on TV is IFC on min, as the rest never seem beneficial to me. I've checked my HDMI lead connections and the obvious stuff. Any ideas?
I feel like my query might be getting overlooked, because it isn't that clear what the relevance to this thread is because of the Deadwood stuff. My query is: I am uncertain if my Panasonic TV settings could be having some effect on the blu-ray playback, which should be perfect?

Nothing in this world is perfect. The 450 player lacks some of the adjustments found on the 820 player and beyond. However, this sounds like a picture adjustment issue to me, rather than the BR player.

Clem

Nothing in this world is perfect. The 450 player lacks some of the adjustments found on the 820 player and beyond. However, this sounds like a picture adjustment issue to me, rather than the BR player.

Clem
I meant perfect in a 'normal' sense. Any thoughts as to what settings might help? Light scenes look HD enough, but dark ones are artifacty as hell. Dont think I've ever seen on Blu-ray before.

I'm looking for a 50 TV and the TX50GX800B seems like an attractive option. I tend to like the naturalness of the Panasonic displays compared to many of the others. We also have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder that we'll be keeping. However, is it getting a bit long in the tooth compared to competing models of the same size around the £600-£700 level?

I meant perfect in a 'normal' sense. Any thoughts as to what settings might help? Light scenes look HD enough, but dark ones are artifacty as hell. Dont think I've ever seen on Blu-ray before.
Yes, I saw the same on my 800, and no end of tweaking picture settings could clear it. I see it sometimes on black areas on Freeview too, and it's not a signal issue. Switching to the LG was a revelation. Nothing like that at all. Others here will almost certainly disagree, but I don't think that the picture on the Panasonic is that good. I've lost count of the amount of time that I've spend messing around with picture settings, trying to get things correct, to my eye. By comparison, five minutes of tweaking the LG picture and I'm done. I use LG's Cinema mode for all settings, and allow the TV to use its in-built DV/HDR settings. By comparison, the DV picture on the Panasonic was stupidly overbright and saturated, and although I managed to tame things to a degree, I just couldn't resolve the saturation. DV on the LG out of the box is fine by comparison, though maybe just a little too dark, but I can live with that.

Clem

Hey Groover,

This post with a link to whirlpool, basic setting adjustment but not in depth, which is what i am after if they are around.

Cheers
Thanks, thought I was going mad. I've looked and I've not seen any in-depth calibration settings either, but was always under the impression that they are always panel specific, so might look awful on someone else set.

I'm still not 100% happy with mine (picture settings wise) and I'm constantly changing them but have been unable to get it looking spot on. What looks great on one program/channel, will then look off on another and so on.

Hi guys,

What are your basic settings? As a start, the general recommendation is True Cinema, warm 2, all other tweaks (sharpness, noise reduction, motion settings etc) at 0. See what that does, and tweak from there.

What are your basic settings? As a start, the general recommendation is True Cinema, warm 2, all other tweaks (sharpness, noise reduction, motion settings etc) at 0. See what that does, and tweak from there.
I'm not fan of True Cinema. I usually use either Normal (I like it bright) with warm 1 or Cinema with w1 or 2. I've tried most of the processing on Min or Auto, genuinely can't see any difference. Cheers for input, though.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw the same on my 800, and no end of tweaking picture settings could clear it. I see it sometimes on black areas on Freeview too, and it's not a signal issue. Switching to the LG was a revelation. Nothing like that at all. Others here will almost certainly disagree, but I don't think that the picture on the Panasonic is that good. I've lost count of the amount of time that I've spend messing around with picture settings, trying to get things correct, to my eye. By comparison, five minutes of tweaking the LG picture and I'm done. I use LG's Cinema mode for all settings, and allow the TV to use its in-built DV/HDR settings. By comparison, the DV picture on the Panasonic was stupidly overbright and saturated, and although I managed to tame things to a degree, I just couldn't resolve the saturation. DV on the LG out of the box is fine by comparison, though maybe just a little too dark, but I can live with that.

Clem
I think my main takeaway from the TV after 3 months is that the picture is generally very good (UHD discs in particular). However, some HD playback, whether disc or stream, is noticeably worse than on my non 4k TV. Price you pay for upscaling, perhaps?

Applied the 3.710 update via USB stick this morning. Can’t see any differences.

Clem

I'm not fan of True Cinema. I usually use either Normal (I like it bright) with warm 1 or Cinema with w1 or 2. I've tried most of the processing on Min or Auto, genuinely can't see any difference. Cheers for input, though.

I have the 40" model. I do use True Cinema mode but have found the 'Normal' colour gamut to be inaccurate for SD/HD content. I checked it with an i1Display Pro and green/red are both undersaturated causing the image to appear quite washed out. The peak red hue is too much toward yellow, causing reds to appear orange. It's worth testing this with a 100% red source so see if your model exhibits the same issue. I noticed it first with the Red Dead Redemption logo on the PS4.

One quick fix is to change the HDMI Content Type to 'Photos', but this only works for HDMI sources. Alternatively you can change the gamut to native, which will actually over-saturate the colours but does fix the issues with the red hue. I also increased the backlight to around 40 (subject to room lighting conditions).

In the end I re-calibrated the HD true-cinema mode, starting with the Native gamut to get the colours more accurate, it now looks pretty good.

Although the grey scale tracking was good in true cinema, gamma was inaccurate (2.4 tracks closer to 2.1) as well as the colour issues mentioned. Again, I had to make gamma adjustments to get closer to 2.4.

I was surprised with the poor HD colour tracking as this is an area that Panasonic are usually quite good at out of the box. I'd previously had a 43" Samsung R7400 (returned due to IPS panel) and a Hisense B7500 (returned due to ghosting issues), however both of these had better colour accuracy in their equivalent 'cinema' modes.

UHD/HDR is much more accurate though and the wider colour gamut seems pretty accurate out of the box in True Cinema mode. I haven't bothered making any adjustments other than using 2.4 gamut to lower some of the black levels.

Useful info @krispi. My 40” also has a washed out Red. This was immediately noticeable when watching F1 when the Ferrari’s are orange. The rest of the colours appear pretty good. I also use True Cinema, warm 2 etc. I tried using the native colour gamut, but as you say it over saturated all the colours and is highly unnatural and almost unwatchable. I also tried the ‘photo’ setting for HDMI but on my screen it oversaturated all the colours just like ‘native’ and again I found it almost unwatchable with reds looking more pink. I found the white balance pretty good though, only needing to reduce the Blue gain by a couple of points.

I'm wanting to connect my Panasonic TX 40GX820B to a freesat tuner which records.
It looks like my best options are either a Humax HDR-1100S or a second hand "Panasonic DMR-BS750" from ebay. Both cost about £200 but I'm not sure which i should go for. Any advice will be very much appreciated. ( My tv is connected to a pc so I can already access bbciplayer etc through my pc )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom