Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

Is there an option for vertical zoom? Would prefer to crop the black bars while watching movies.

Just got my 50" GX800 upgrading from my old Pioneer 43" plasma... Love the TV on HD however find the other channels a little foggy/ever so slightly blurry which I didn't have with the plasma...
Can anyway help + anyone got some calibration recommendations 🙂...

True Cinema
Backlight 65
Contrast 90
Brightness -3
Colour 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 30
Colour Temp Warm 2
Adaptive Backlight Min
Ambient Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg Reduction Off
Resolution Remaster Off
Dynamic Range Off
Intelligent Frame Min
Clear Motion Off

Advanced
Contract Control Auto
Colour Gamut Native
Colour Management
R Hue +15
R Sat -15
R Lum -50
G Hue 0
G Sat -25
G Lum -25
B Hue -40
B Sat +50
B Lum -25
More Detailed Adj
M Sat -5

Gamma 2.4
More Detailed Adjustment
2.5 -50
20 -3
40 -10
50 -10
100 -10

Hi all,
How are people finding backlight bleed on hdr/ dolby vision stuff? I find bottom left to be pretty bad bleed on this.

Far less noticeable on normal TV or normal blu Ray. Just 4k stuff seems to show it due to backlight brightness I guess.

Anyone else found this?

I bit the bullet and updated the firmware on my 800 to version 3.709 today via USB. Pretty painless, about 5 minutes start to finish. No sign of it being available over the 'Net, at least chez Clem.

Clem

I bit the bullet and updated the firmware on my 800 to version 3.709 today via USB. Pretty painless, about 5 minutes start to finish. No sign of it being available over the 'Net, at least chez Clem.

Clem
Have you noticed any difference ?

Nope. I tried Freeview Play and it worked, but then it worked briefly after the last software update, so I’ll check again in a day or so. Haven’t noticed anything else/new.

Clem

I put the previous one but I did not like it very much, also the native mode in SDR is not recommended .. suggestions?

Hi all,
How are people finding backlight bleed on hdr/ dolby vision stuff? I find bottom left to be pretty bad bleed on this.

Far less noticeable on normal TV or normal blu Ray. Just 4k stuff seems to show it due to backlight brightness I guess.

Anyone else found this?

I have quite a bit of black light bleed especially in bottom left corner. I have put a strip of LED lights behind the screen and use these on the ‘white’ setting. The lights are dimmable so a little brightness adjustment usually hides the problem.

OK Guys,

Got a 65GX850a (Australia) being delivered on Thursday for our living room (FZ950 in the movie room). Anyone have any pictures settings for a light room ?? general viewing, Foxtel (Sky), Netflix, Stan and so on. We only watch movies on the FZ.

Cheers

Yes I am planning to do this, got a link to what you bought?

According to my e-receipt it’s catalogue number 897FH. They weren't the cheapest but They do blend between yellow and blue and I think they do the ‘ideal’ shade for bias lighting.

OK Guys,

Got a 65GX850a (Australia) being delivered on Thursday for our living room (FZ950 in the movie room). Anyone have any pictures settings for a light room ?? general viewing, Foxtel (Sky), Netflix, Stan and so on. We only watch movies on the FZ.

Cheers

Most of the discussion here is regarding the 800b and other European/US models.

There is some information here

I got the 55GX850a. Using mostly stock settings.

Anyone installed 3.710 yet? Seems a bit odd, with version 3.709 little more than a month old. It would be nice to know exactly what’s being fixed. With a new release surfacing so soon after the last release I suspect that there’s something broken on 3.709, which might explain why it wasn’t available as an Internet download (for me, and others, if I recall correctly).

Clem

Anyone installed 3.710 yet? Seems a bit odd, with version 3.709 little more than a month old. It would be nice to know exactly what’s being fixed. With a new release surfacing so soon after the last release I suspect that there’s something broken on 3.709, which might explain why it wasn’t available as an Internet download (for me, and others, if I recall correctly).

Clem
It’s weird because the 3.710 came up when I switched on this morning but I declined as didn’t have time to install. I went back in an hour later and it said I was on the latest software running 3.702 and didn’t find the update ???

Updated to 3710 via the TV this morning. No obvious differences/changes that I can see.

Although Jack Ryan season 1 is now showing as Dolby Vision/Atmos on the Amazon app.. don't remember it being DV before?

If I run a software update check now on the TV, it does report 3710 as being the latest.

Just updated to 3710. I don't remember Dynamic Range Remaster being in the picture settings before, can anyone clarify that?

I currently have a TX-L37G15 which has built in Freesat although it's now 10 years Old !!
I really like the Panasonic 40gx800B which is the biggest TV I have room for. My problem is that Panasonic currently don't make tv's at the 40" size with built in Freesat so I would need an external Freesat box which is where I'm looking for recommendations. Panasonic don't make Freesat Boxes anymore but there's plenty of old Panasonic F/s boxes on Ebay if they can match/better the current F/S boxes, although i think they're all quite old now. My TV would also be connected to a PC so I would already have acces to bbciplayer / ITV player etc.
I would like a fs box where I can series record.
Any Recommendatons will be much appreciated
Thanks

Just updated to 3.710 over the net, I was never able to update to 3.709 that way so subsequently never installed it. I couldn’t be arsed to do it via USB and the TV was working fine anyway so why rock the boat. Maybe Panasonic never made 3.709 available over the net because they knew the next version was coming pretty quickly after the last one or it didn’t fix what it was supposed to fix, or created new issues.

At least they’re issuing regular firmware updates for the sets. This is the third update I’ve installed since buying it last August. It would have been the 4th if I’d installed 3.709.

Last edited:
As far as the Freeview Play issue is concerned, 3.710 seems to be behaving the same as 3.709 for me - ?

I’d previously thought that 3.709 had sorted it but it’s still not 100%. It’ll still often hang on a loading screen (with the circle of spinning dots) but a set of repeated commands have always sorted it in my experience – I’ve not ever had to power cycle since these updates. Is that the common experience?

I’d also previously thought that it had altered the YouTube UI, but think all it had done is flip it to the black high-contrast setting, dunno how, don’t recall doing it myself.

Also still getting lip synch (with ARC activated soundbar) in certain apps/instances, seems to be a common problem across the entire market.

I’ve still yet to encounter the FreeviewPlay bug, can someone explain what it is exactly?

whenever I fire up the FVP catch-up, it always works (so far..) Or is it something else?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom