Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by sam786, May 20, 2019.

1. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah, games are made with RGB limited. All my Panasonic work fine with auto though.

2. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm not so sure he will review them. He's pretty friendly with Panasonic. He's been invited 2 to Panasonic events this year where this TV was present, one video this TV was the focal point, yet still no review. It was a very controlled video that one. I get the feeling Panasonic doesn't want him to review them. They have been out since April, invited him to see them twice, still no review.

3. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  4. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    This tv has potential but its just not wowing me with glee. Its more of a size thing though because I've noticed that tvs over 40" don't look as sharp as smaller screens. Most people will be satisfied but I prefer the pixel density of something smaller. HD to me looks so much sharper on a monitor or even the Nintendo Switch.

I've had it for over a month & was initially impressed. Its peak brightness lets it down as even on max backlight it looks too dark in dark scenes (even with eco off etc). The contrast doesn't seem balanced. In night scenes in a game I can barely make out the detail. Motion is bad as well across most content. Panning the camera in a game looks very blurry, although some games are worse than others. It has a raft of features & nice colours yet its lacking that punch.

Monitors look so much cleaner & sharper than tvs. Even small ips tvs that you see in game stores for instance look really nice & sharp. People assume that bigger is better but its not because you lose that pixel density & clarity :blush:.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,391
    He mentions in his 'GX800 DV vs HDR10' video that he will be.

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,391
    Not my 'go to' place (need an in-depth review), but its a start...

Panasonic GX800

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just found a dead pixel on my 50". :( You can't really see it unless you get up close. Noticed it when i was dusting and had the PS4 on the home screen. The home screen is plain blue so the dead pixel stood out. Now i have to start the whole process of taking it back and the dilemma of do i get another one or get an entire different TV instead. The panel uniformity on this screen is brilliant with no light bleed or dirty screen effect. Just a shame about that dead pixel. :rolleyes:

8. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    A few glaring errors in there. The tv doesn’t have hdmi 2.1 ports and the panel type has little effect on refresh rates.

9. virtual22

virtual22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    If anyone is interested, the Costco price for the 58 inch is down to £800 already. Panasonic 58GX800B 58 Inch 4K Ultra Smart HD TV | Costco UK I am very tempted at this price as nearly pulled the trigger at £880 last weekend.

I'm still weighing up between this and the Sony XG850 which is 10bit not 8+2, and 100hz but is now £200 more. Although the Sony will be getting the Apple TV app this year which is again quite important to me.

10. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not sure the Sony XG850 is a 10 bit panel.

11. virtual22

virtual22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Richer Sounds seems to think it is: Sony BRAVIA KD55XG8505BU

12. pcdunk

pcdunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Looking for a bit of info on a Panasonic 58GX800B. Can someone tell me how many terrestrial tuners are on the set. I don’t mean sockets but the numbers of tuners internally. My AX902 had 2 So by plugging in a hard drive you can watch a channel and record another all through the tv. If this set doesn’t have this capability can anyone recommend one that does at a similar price

13. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks for the link. Its a fair assessment although I do think the sound on this is better than most of the flatscr evens around but it seems a fair unbiased assessment. It gets 5 stars too so at least I am not the only one that thinks this tv is great:)

14. borderman11

borderman11
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is a green power led bottom left of the tv, can this be disabled? Its kinda distracting at night.

15. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's an 8 bit panel but capable of a 10 bit colour space. Same as the GX800 and other 8 bit panels.

16. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In the menu under Other Settings i believe.

17. saintpip

saintpip
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all newbie here, would like to know from the guys who brought a GX800 series pana tv what are your first thoughts, Are you happy with your purchase ? i am currently thinking about buying the TX-50GX830 its on offer at the moment here. also the oled 950 series looks good but can't really justify the cost, Anyway what do you think.

18. SuperSam

SuperSam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I'm no expert but my feelings on the set are as follows-
    I took the plunge on the 58 after my beloved CX802 gave up. I've had it on the wall for about 4 days. First impressions, it's pretty good. Watching the UHD sky Iow coverage the picture is very clear. Out of the box colours were pretty accurate/realistic and the only real adjustments I've made was to turn the other processing bits off and I'm quite happy with the image.
    On 4k movies again it's a nice clean image. The black bars are black (except the bottom left corner) where I appear to have a grey blooming effect. It's localised and I'm living with it. It's a lot better than my last screen and I'm reluctant to play the lottery.
    My only complaint is the rear facing HDMI socket. I don't have a lead with an L shaped plug and I don't want to go and buy one.

I have noticed that when watching a disc with an Atmos soundtrack, the receiver defaults to a stereo soundtrack. I think it's because the TV seems to be taking precedent and convincing the player to send the Atmos soundtrack through HDMI1 not 2. The player is set exactly the same as before and when I unplug the TV the receiver defaults back to Atmos.

So if anybody can tell me what I need to do to disable that in the TV menu I would be very greatful.

19. saintpip

saintpip
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @ SuperSam well ok thanks for that for the price and the reviews i've seen its not bad for the price, panels seem a bit of a lottery

20. SuperSam

SuperSam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I think all screens are a bit of a lottery. Quality control and service is just not good to risk chopping this one in. It's got a characteristic and I'm going to live with it.

21. SuperSam

SuperSam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    As for the audio, I have set the Audio input to PCM instead of auto and the receiver flipped straight into Atmos. Let's hope that solves the problem.

22. ronin4

ronin4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  23. pcdunk

pcdunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Question. What is this set like when watching standard terrestrial program such as BB1 HD or ITV HD. Also hows the off axis viewing angle? In John Lewis it didn't look too bad compared to some other screens with VA panels.

24. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I personally think the viewing angles are good for a VA panel. I uploaded some pictures on page 2 of mine straight on and the from gradual angles.

25. pcdunk

pcdunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The first pic of the fish straight on seems to be a bit bluer and the two at an angle seems to a bit lighter in colour. Don't know if it looked like that or just the effect of the camera.

26. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The colour does shift the further you go. Obviously this doesn't have the viewing angles of an IPS screen but for a VA I am personally very pleased. I suppose it depends on your viewing position to the TV.

27. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Terrestrial TV standard and HD channels look good. Was quite surprised by the quality of standard none HD content. As for viewing angles you really need to sit head on with these kinds of TV. Colours do shift when not sitting head on.

28. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My first thought was build quality was poor coming from Panasonic. I've had a lot of Panasonic TV's over the years (I like to upgrade a lot) and normally Panasonic have a real good build quality. But this even though it looks good from a distance, up close and personal i don't think the build quality is all that. Panel wise i have a good panel with no light bleed and no dirty screen effect at all. Picture is good nice and natural when using Cinema or True Cinema Mode. 4K, HD and none HD content all look good. Viewing angles aren't great. You need to sit head on with these kinds of TV's with a VA panel. IPS panels give you good viewing angles but poor blacks and contrast and VA panels give you better blacks and contrast but worse viewing angles. The sound is pretty good too. I won't be using a soundbar with it as i'm happy with the sound the TV produces. I paid £749 for a 50" and i think it's alright. I wish they would go back to making full array local dimming and not edgelit though.

29. saintpip

saintpip
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks but i've taken the plunge and ordered one online a 50" GX830E costing €769 will pick it up tomorrow morning.

30. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Ah ok. Well i hope you like it. =)

Edit: Just realised the GX830 has a different build to the GX800 we have over here. The GX830 looks much better build quality. It reminds me of my EX700 from 2017, that was made from aluminium and chrome.