Quantcast

Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

Socheeky

Standard Member
I have the 40" model. I do use True Cinema mode but have found the 'Normal' colour gamut to be inaccurate for SD/HD content. I checked it with an i1Display Pro and green/red are both undersaturated causing the image to appear quite washed out. The peak red hue is too much toward yellow, causing reds to appear orange. It's worth testing this with a 100% red source so see if your model exhibits the same issue. I noticed it first with the Red Dead Redemption logo on the PS4.

One quick fix is to change the HDMI Content Type to 'Photos', but this only works for HDMI sources. Alternatively you can change the gamut to native, which will actually over-saturate the colours but does fix the issues with the red hue. I also increased the backlight to around 40 (subject to room lighting conditions).

In the end I re-calibrated the HD true-cinema mode, starting with the Native gamut to get the colours more accurate, it now looks pretty good.

Although the grey scale tracking was good in true cinema, gamma was inaccurate (2.4 tracks closer to 2.1) as well as the colour issues mentioned. Again, I had to make gamma adjustments to get closer to 2.4.

I was surprised with the poor HD colour tracking as this is an area that Panasonic are usually quite good at out of the box. I'd previously had a 43" Samsung R7400 (returned due to IPS panel) and a Hisense B7500 (returned due to ghosting issues), however both of these had better colour accuracy in their equivalent 'cinema' modes.

UHD/HDR is much more accurate though and the wider colour gamut seems pretty accurate out of the box in True Cinema mode. I haven't bothered making any adjustments other than using 2.4 gamut to lower some of the black levels.
I really don't understand the finer points of colour setting. However, I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy on UHD blu-ray on simple Cinema/warm 1 with no adjustments and the images were vibrant and otherworldly beautiful.

Clem_Dye

I'm wanting to connect my Panasonic TX 40GX820B to a freesat tuner which records.
It looks like my best options are either a Humax HDR-1100S or a second hand "Panasonic DMR-BS750" from ebay. Both cost about £200 but I'm not sure which i should go for. Any advice will be very much appreciated. ( My tv is connected to a pc so I can already access bbciplayer etc through my pc )
Wait a bit longer. The new Arris Freesat PVR is promised this month. Prices for new kit are expected to be along the lines of what you’re finding for s/h kit on eBay.

Clem

Obiit

I’m looking at getting a 58GX800B but I haven’t really found anything on how well it behaves with bluray’s. What are people’s opinions on this tv’s capabilities on upscaling? I have quite a large collection and I don’t want to be disappointed on my first dip into the realms of 4k 😊

dgjl

Novice Member
I’m looking at getting a 58GX800B but I haven’t really found anything on how well it behaves with bluray’s. What are people’s opinions on this tv’s capabilities on upscaling? I have quite a large collection and I don’t want to be disappointed on my first dip into the realms of 4k 😊
This TV is an outstanding upscaler. Way better than expected, and way better than set top boxes and all but the very best disc players.

bingodisco

This TV is an outstanding upscaler. Way better than expected, and way better than set top boxes and all but the very best disc players.
Agreed. Every disc I’ve watched has been astonishingly good. Detailed, sharp and colourful. No quibbles at all.

oklo

Novice Member
I have the 50 inch version and i'm very happy with the upscaling of 1080p sources. I like the picture with hd material very much, and i love the picture with uhd material very very much.

tdbegley28

Standard Member
Having had some more free time, I've taken-up the suggestion made by @SW4NL4KE to use both Normal and True Cinema options for viewing. Here's what I now have for the Normal option:

Viewing Mode: Normal
Backlight: 50
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 0
Colour: 45
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Colour Temperature: Normal
Vivid Colour: Off
Adaptive Backlight Control: Min
Ambient Sensor: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Remaster: Off
Resolution Remaster: Off
Dynamic Remaster: Off
Intelligent Frame Control: Min
Clear Motion: Off
Screen Settings —> 16.9 Overscan: Off

My plan, subject to possible further tweaks, is to use the Normal and True Cinema picture options as follows. These are the only options that I've assigned to the Picture button on the remote.

Normal:
-- Freeview, HDMI1 (Freesat PVR), HDMI2 (Freeview PVR and NowTV box via ARC/soundbar)

True Cinema:
-- VOD, HDMI3 (4K BR player)

I think that True Cinema is perhaps a little on the dark side, so I may need to tweak the backlight a bit. I've also switched to Warm2 for the Colour Temperature. I still need to re-visit the Dolby Vision settings for Netflix and 4K BR playback.

Having just finished watching the third series of Goliath on Amazon Video in 4KUHD + HDR, both my wife and I think that thus far, this is the best overall picture quality that we've seen on our 800. I don't know who at Panasonic came-up with the default settings for the Dolby Vision picture settings, because they are basically unusable, and, IMHO, if that's supposed to showcase just what DV is all about then it fails abysmally. Thank heavens for picture adjustments.

I thought the review of the 50-inch version of the TV, the one that I have, on the Home Cinema Choice website was reasonable, and I suspect that the viewing comments about viewing HDR content in Normal mode may actually be what I posted previously about the HDR settings, because there is no option to override the HDR picture setting when it's been selected via the app/TV. Anyway, here's the link: Panasonic TX-50GX800 50in 4K TV review .

Clem
Hi @Clem_Dye ,

Did you tweak any settings in the True Cinema mode?

Also did you make any changes to DV? I am currently using DV Bright but it just doesn't seem to look right. I cant really find much information about what people have done to calibrate the GX model.

Thanks in advance.

Clem_Dye

The default DV settings, especially Bright, are stupid, and I believe unusable, so I dialled the settings back, and I also tweaked DV Dark too. DV Vivid is just best ignored. I also made some changes to True Cinema. I don’t recall what they were, offhand, so I’d need to check.

Clem

tdbegley28

Standard Member
The default DV settings, especially Bright, are stupid, and I believe unusable, so I dialled the settings back, and I also tweaked DV Dark too. DV Vivid is just best ignored. I also made some changes to True Cinema. I don’t recall what they were, offhand, so I’d need to check.

Clem
Thanks @Clem_Dye

If you could please post what you have done if you get some free time I would be extremely regretful. Thank you.

groover22

Ive just boughtbthis tv and just cant get a decent picture ....any help ??
I’ve settled on the following settings. they’re not perfect, but I think they are a good compromise between the over the top red & pink of the Normal picture mode, and the slightly anaemic looking True Cinema mode.

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 35
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 0 (Default)
Colour: 50 (Default)
Tint: 0 (Default)
Sharpness: 20

Colour Temp: Warm 1

Vivid Colour: Off
Adaptive Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Sensor: Off

Noise Reduction: Auto
MPEG Remaster: Auto
Resolution Remaster: Auto

Dynamic Range Remaster: Off
Intelligent Frame Creation: Min
Clear Motion: Off

Advanced Settings -

Contrast Control: Auto
Colour Gamut: Normal
White Balance and Colour Management: Leave at default
Gamma: 2.2

groover22

I have Noise Reduction, MPEG Remaster and Resolution Remaster set to Off.

Clem
Did you find it had a negative effect on the picture with them on at all?

I've toggled between auto and off on all of the above and can't see any difference between the 2 to be fair.

Towner

Looking forward to receiving my refurbished 58" GX820 from Panasonic eBay shop, they had it reduced to £399. Any known problems with this set as have 14 days to return if not happy. thank you.

Bloodflowerz

In Germany they sell an exclusive version of this TV (TX-65GXX889)
with some improvements:
  • 1800 Hz BMR IFC (instead of 1600 Hz)
  • Local Dimming Pro (instead of non-Pro)
  • Metal Stand
  • Silver metal looking remote

Can anyone comment on the local dimming pro, if it's still edge lit, and if the TV is just an overclocked version to achieve 1800 Hz BMR IFC rating?

Datasheet is here: https://www.thomas-electronic-online-shop.de/WebRoot/StoreLDE/Shops/64214473/5C61/A60F/F3EE/FEA9/BEEE/0A0C/6D08/1417/Thomas_Electronic_Online_Shop_Panasonic_TX-65GXX889_TX65GXX889_GXX889_4K_LED_TV_EXKLUSIV-Modell_5025232893300_PDF-Datenblatt.pdf

Clem_Dye

Regardless of any extra features for PQ, it may not have all of the services that you expect if you’re going to use it in the UK, which of course may not be important.

Clem

Obiit

Well i have bit the bullet and have one in the living room now :D

Just need to Spears & Munsil it and then i can see if was worth the procrastination!!

chanman

Standard Member
As a very happy owner of a 50inch GX800 (following a terrible Samsung experience), I feel the need to spread some positivity about it. A lot of the issues people talk about on here (and other manufacturer forums) - grainy picture, dark picture, lip sync, etc are often not actually caused by the TV itself but are problems with the source.

I work in TV post-production and often attend grades, sound mixes and the final finishing of a lot of mainstream prime-time TV across different networks and channels. Different shows have different budgets and wildly differing levels of time and care spent on them before they are exported for transmission. Some producers will attend every stage of the process because they care deeply about their product. Others will show up for ten minutes for the free coffee and then disappear long before the final mix is exported.

Even once a channel has received the final file for transmission it'll go through some form of compression prior to TX which is usually outside the control of the producers. I've often seen sync to slip a few frames during a bad encode at this stage, and wholly unacceptable (IMHO) compression artefacts to be introduced due to specific channel TX bandwidth requirements. Picture quality on Sky in particular has suffered greatly in the past couple of years. Flicking between a BBC1 HD output on Sky+HD and the same channel on Freeview HD really does show a noticeable difference - Sky is far softer.

It's the same with Blu-Ray and DVD encodes - particularly with audio. I've often seen DTS tracks be a few frames out of sync with the Dolby Master track, all down to the encode and lack of checking.

So it's therefore a little unfair I feel to always point the finger of blame at the TVs we use to view all this material. I have to say that when my GX800 has been fed a good quality source - the 7 Worlds One Planet UHD HDR stream recently on iPlayer springs to mind, it absolutely rocks. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance in 4K Dolby Vision on Netflix was also exemplary, as was The Shining on 4K BluRay. All of which clearly had time (and money) spent on their finishing to make sure they looked and sounded as good as possible.

Everything comes down to personal preference of course. Yes, different TVs process images differently, some make poor source material look even worse, others improve it. I think overall the GX800 does an excellent job with whatever source I've given it, from episodes of Doctor Who from the 1960's through to modern 4K HDR blockbusters, for a sub £600 telly I'm totally satisfied with its performance.

Finkfan

Novice Member
After a little tweaking my 40” GX820B is looking very good. We only really watch TV of an evening in low level ambient light and my settings are as follows

True Cinema
Backlight 30
Contrast 90
Colour 52
Sharpness 20
Colour temp Warm 2
Adaptive backlight control Min
IFC Min
Colour gamut Normal
Gamma 2.4
Red Hue -6
Red Sat +36
Red Luminance 0
Green Hue -1
Green Sat -14
Green Luminance +4
Blue Hue -3
Blue Sat 0
Blue Luminance -2
Cyan Hue +2
Cyan Sat 0
Magenta Hue +2
Magenta Sat 0
Yellow Hue +2
Yellow Sat 0
White balance Green Gain -1, all others 0
HDMI content type set to Off

tdbegley28

Standard Member
Is there anyway to find the serial number of the TV from the settings?

I now have mine on the wall and dont want to take it off to find the serial number :)

groover22

Is there anyway to find the serial number of the TV from the settings?

I now have mine on the wall and dont want to take it off to find the serial number :)
Don’t think so. I’ve checked under Help>System Info and Device Info, and nothing in either matches my serial number.