Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by sam786, May 20, 2019.

1. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    No problem, I mean once the direct sunlight has gone I can see no reflection at all.

2. borderman11

borderman11
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bowman, can you make a screenshot of built in media player subtitles... i mean playing a video file from usb with external .srt subtitles.
    I would really like to see how subs look like with the following setting: lowest position and smallest font.
    Its kinda unusual request but i cant find that info anywhere and a like subs at the bottom of screen.

3. Newguy356

Newguy356
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you Bowman1 for your review and in particularly for testing the bluetooth capabilities. Just one more question from me! Did you test the sound from just regular tv or any of the apps e.g. Netflix?

Thanks in advance
    Newguy

T

4. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I don't have an external USB to load that but I have taken some pictures of how the subtitles show on the TV. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

5. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36

6. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi I used the Bluetooth with the netflix app, amazon appand the free view play live TV. All OK with no real lag at all.

7. Newguy356

Newguy356
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Excellent. Many thanks Bowman1 greatly appreciated.

8. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Your console and TV's RGB levels need to match up and be the same. Just set your PS4's RGB to Automatic and the TV will automatically select the right RGB level for you to match the console. If they don't match you will either crush blacks and make the image too dark and lose detail, or make the blacks whited and washed out. As for HDR making the blacks look white and washed out. They will as this TV is just an 8 Bit panel with 450 Nits peak brightness. 8 Bit panels don't really do proper HDR. They ramp up the backlight and contrast to max and stay ramped up 100% of the time, meaning day scenes will have extra pop, but dark scenes and blacks will look whited and washed out. For proper HDR you need a 10 Bit panel with HDR Premium and a minimum of 1000 Nits peak brightness. On 10 Bit HDR Premium panels the backlight and contrast doesn't ramp up to maximum and stay there 100% of the time like 8 Bit panels do. With a 10 Bit panel they only light up the parts that need to be bright while keeping the dark parts dark. So for example the moon in the night sky. On a 10 Bit panel the HDR would light the moon up for but the night sky the backlight would keep it dark therefore giving you deep blacks. On an 8 Bit panel the entire backlight and contrast ramps up to maximum and makes the moon bright but also the dark sky bright therefore making blacks less black and more grey and whited out. As for all the picture enhancements like noise reduction and mpg remaster and all that they should all be turned off, especially for gaming. Having them turned on adds artifacts etc to the image that shouldn't be there and makes input lag higher.

9. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    No problem. I am just listening again via Bluetooth. I can't believe how well they work with no lag.

10. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    This really has nothing to do with 8 vs 10 bit panels o_O ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Mattchew

Mattchew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah it does. It will help him get his PS4 set up correctly and explains to him why when his GX800 is in HDR mode the blacks look washed out. Its because its an 8 Bit panel. 8 Bit panels don't do proper HDR. And edge lit tv's, which is what the GX800 is, aren't really equipped to do HDR either. HDR on all 8 Bit panels will look washed out on dark scenes. Just how it is.

12. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi all, in respect of the 8bit panel, there is no question that an 8 bit plus frc panel is not as good as a full 10 bit panel. This said by playing around with the settings you are able to produce some fantastic HDR images from this TV. As I said in my earlier post if you reduce the brightness down to a maximum of 80 I found the greyish tones disappeared and the blacks look fantastic which really helps with the overall contrast of the picture quality. Please remember this is not a flagship model but having looked around for months at TV's I think anyone would struggle to get a 40-43 inch LED edge lit TV that produces the quality images this has. I looked at over 20 different 43 inch TV's and they all looked washed out or had IPS panels where the contrast ratio is very poor. I looked at a Sony 43xf8577 and that is a 100hz 10 bit panel with a similar peak brightness of around 500nits and I did not thing the image looked at crisp as the 40GX800.

13. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Wrong TV and PS4 settings and hdr on any 8 bit panel will look washed out as they don't really do hdr. These TV's have a nice picture in sdr mode though. I was looking at them in store earlier when deciding what to buy for a bedroom tv.

14. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I bought this for my bedroom and it is a great buy so far. The 40 inch is a great size for a bedroom TV. Feels bigger given the very narrow bezels and does not look too big that it looks ridiculous in a bedroom.

15. ReekyDrop

ReekyDrop
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone managed to calibrate one, yet?

16. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Shouldn't really need to with Panasonic. Panasonic are known for coming well calibrated out of the box. True Cinema Mode is always said to be the best. Panasonic work with Hollywood colourists and they help them get the picture right.

17. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the info. I will be sitting 6.9 feet from the TV in my bedroom and mostly playing games on it. So i think i need a 50" model. They say you need to sit between 6.3 feet for 1080p content and 2.9 feet for 4K. 50" may look a bit too big in there but to hell with it. lol

18. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Maybe you should look up what exactlythe difference between 8 and a 10 bit panel is . And black level (the base level) is not one of those things. Also there probably is an 8bit + FRC panel in here so the difference with a 10bit is almost negligible. What you explained was mostly the difference between a FALD and non-FALD model :rolleyes: .
    It will help in setting the PS4 up but the reasoning behind it is complete b*llcks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  19. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    No problem, I am a similar distance from mine and I can still see appreciate the great picture. I am sure you will enjoy it. Didnt help my wife wouldn't let me get a larger one for the bedroom but I am very pleased with the 40 inch model.

20. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have read the viewing distance stuff before and I think it's not practical. Who sits 2 feet away from the TV? That would be one tiny room.ha

21. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Doesn't a 10 bit panel produce over 1.2 billion shades of colour and an 8 bit only produce 16.7 million? I wouldn't say that was negligible. I currently have a high end Panasonic DX902 65" 4k hdr premium 10 bit panel and a mid range Panasonic 40" EX700 8 bit panel. The difference between the 2 really is night and day. Both are led and even though the premium tv is full array local dimming with 512 zones for inky blacks you can see it has waaaaay more colours than the 8 bit panel. Especially when watching films and gaming.

22. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's what these tv people don't tell us lol. To benefit from 4K you need a screen 50 inches or more and need to sit close. quite a lot of gamers tend to sit close. Maybe the Japanese people do too. They have very small homes don't they. =)

23. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So how would you say the black levels and picture in general are compared to the 2017 Panasonic EX700 here:
    Review Panasonic EX700 Nuevo modelo Television...

24. SuperSam

SuperSam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Is the '8bit +' an 8bit+2 like the FX750?

25. Stevesco

Stevesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wonder if an owner could comment on what the tv is like watching football. From an HD source like Sky Hd please.
    Wondering if there’s any motion issues, blurring etc..
    Thank you

26. homerging

homerging

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In case there is any confusion the "GX800" isn't the same in different parts of the world. The GX800 in Australia looks to be the same as Europe's GX900 with an IPS panel. GX700 in New Zealand appears to be the GX800 in Europe but with a different stand.

The GX series shares its model names with Panasonic cameras so Googling may be difficult.

27. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Richer sounds have for some reason increased the price of the 40 inch to £699 and 50 inch to £799.

28. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Currys raised the price of the 50" from £749 up to £899. But i've just purchased one from Hughes for £710 for the 50". They have them on sale for £749 but then a promotional code for another £40 off. =D

29. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Is it a generic promo code or account specific? I only ask as I am hoping the price match john lewis for the 40 inch I have just bought.

30. Beansontoast

Beansontoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They do do generic promo codes like type in SAVE60 at the checkout to save £60 if you spend over £600 and stuff like that, but mine was for being a loyal customer to Hughes. I purchased 2 soundbars from there last Christmas as Christmas presents so they give me stuff. They treat my family well do Hughes.