Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by sam786, May 20, 2019.

1. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In regards to that Sony model you mentioned, one review stated:

'If you like watching films – especially in a darkened room – the Sony XF85 is definitely not for you. This counts double if you’d like to watch those films (or TV shows) in HDR. The TV simply does not have the black level performance to satisfy such use.'

2. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks, yeah the reviews are not the best despite the great specs. Seems like it's the use of an ips panel that let's it down. Unfortunately the wife won't budge on a 49 or 50 set for the bedroom otherwise there's a lot more choice and the 49 xf8577 has a va panel do would probably be great. Decisions decisions. Thanks for you help, it is appreciated :)

3. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

The good thing about the Panasonic GX800 is that it is compatible with the best HDR format (Dolby Vision) which Netflix and Amazon offer.

4. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks, one last questions. What is the sound on this, I know they can't compete with a sound bar or system but the reviews I have seen say you tell a big difference with the built in atmoa system? Is this true or just more inticing marketing, ha

5. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks, one last questions. What is the sound on this, I know they can't compete with a sound bar or system but the reviews I have seen say you tell a big difference with the built in atmoa system? Is this true or just more inticing marketing, ha

6. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In regards to the built in Dolby Atmos feature you will need to buy Dolby Atmos soundbar / speakers for the best sound, nevertheless it still tries to reproduce sound to that effect which sounds great and much better than the last two 4K TV's that I have owned. For example, when I am watching a film on Netflix that has Dolby Atmos compatibility, it will play sound using that format.

So yes you will notice a difference.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  7. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks so much. Sounds like a winner:)

8. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm considering exchanging this for the Sony XG8305 but I'd have to pay an extra £300 towards it which is a hefty amount. Is it worth the exchange for the 100hz motion?. This Panasonic does not have satisfactory motion at all due to it's 50 hz panel. The blacks are nice & all but that doesn't mean much when the picture is blurry. Enabling noise reduction, mpeg helps with tv content but it's no substitute for a higher refresh rate. Gaming has none of these features present except clear motion which dims the screen considerably & has little effect. I was playing Red dead 2 & wasn't sure if it was the games framerate itself or the tv with bad motion. It may be a combination of the 2 but I think 100hz is essential for gaming :cool:.

From my experience, Samsung is seriously over-rated when it comes to tvs. I've owned & returned countless Samsung tvs because the picture quality was unclear & the motion issues are a major factor in that. Even the samsungs with 100hz I've owned looked like sh*t to me. I've also had bad experiences with Sony tvs tbh which could be down to the panel lottery. These so called acclaimed tvs are different for every user. This Panasonic has better picture quality than a lot of tvs I've returned but it has motion issues due to it's 50hz panel.

10. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks, I don't really play games so I hoping this model will be a good choice for films etc. Plus the fact it looks such a quality TV will keep the Mrs happy :)

11. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks again for your help yesterday with John Lewis . I took the plunge last night both richer sounds and John Lewis have sold out in the last 24 hours. I think because its such a unique high spec for a sub 50inch TV it must be extremely popular. It comes Friday so I will be sure to post a review etc.

12. scaper

scaper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

have you tried the LG OLED55B8?? can be had for ~£1000

13. SilentHill89

SilentHill89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    That's expensive man & I just found out that Sony is an ips panel so forget that!. I love OLED though caus I have an OLED Vita.

I'm havin trouble with crushed blacks on this tv in gaming (which refers to the blacks appearing too dark compromising the detail). Setting HDMI RGB range to normal gives you the deep blacks but it's too dark even with backlight adjusted. Turnin this setting to Full or Auto completely washes out the blacks. There's no in-between. This is an issue with a lot of tvs ive noticed. Is there a way around this?. And HDR washes out the picture as well o_O.

14. Roggster

Roggster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Has anyone found any proper reviews of the GX800/820 yet?
    All I can see are flaky "hands on" articles that read like Panasonic advertisements with how they gush about the set.

I was pretty interested in getting one - 58" is the perfect size for me, but learning they have put a 50Hz panel in there is pretty annoying and frustrating, especially seeing as the model up from this is only available in 75"!

15. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Full range is only for using a pc as the input, everything else should be set to normal (limited) in every case. Then adjust from there.

That's true for every television and is not a fault, so there will be no way around it.

16. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    @sam786 Hi, I am still waiting for my 40 inch to be delivered tomorrow. I was just wondering how you have got on with the TV now you hage had it for over a week? I see that both richer sounds and John Lewis have received a lot more stock of these if anyone is interested. Thanks

17. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

TV is still going solid, people in here need to remember that this is a mid range TV by Panasonic as their main focus is now on OLED's, yes a 100hz panel would have been ideal but setting the intelligent frame creation to 'mid' helps with the motion.

With HDR switched on, yes the blacks will appear a little washed out as it brightens the image but this is the case with many of the LED tv's.

I find setting adaptive backlight control to 'max' effective for watching films with black borders and gaming using my PS4 Pro I experienced no issues and I play on Vivid picture settings.

18. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks for getting back to me. I completely agree with you the specs on this are amazing when you consider the price. If you think that the Samsung lower end ru7400 at 43inch was being sold recently for over £600 with no Atmos, Dolby Vision etc. I am just so pleased that there was a sub 50 inch tv with such a solid spec and performance. I will update photos etc when I get it opened a d have had chance to play about with the settings.

19. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

Great, let me know how you get on.

20. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Hi
    I bought the Panny 50" GX800 a few weeks ago and to be honest I was a bit disappointed. Like you say the motion wasn't great d/t being a 50hz panel and IMHO despite being a VA panel i found the colours/contrast not that great when compared with the latest Sony TVs. I returned the Panny back to Richer Sounds for a full refund.

Instead I got the Sony 43" XG8396 (with 100Hz) and very pleased with it. Despite having an IPS panel the blacks/contrast/colours just pop out and quality of the bezel/plastics etc is far better than the Panny. IMHO well worth the extra ££s.

Picture quality on my Sony XG8396 (ignore the shadow on the top centre-left, that was coming from the window)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  21. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Sony 43" XG8396 is probably better due to it's native 100hz panel, however technically there's no native 100Hz content.

The Sony strangely enough doesn't come with Dolby Vision HDR and costs £300 more.

I had to look at my budget and what I will be using this for and wanted a TV that will be future proof for a good number of years.

I am glad that you are pleased with this.

22. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I am glad you like you new Sony, I was also considering a upper mid range sony from 2018 as the prices were half of that last year. I would agree that for the extra price you mention there are better TV's. Oleds for example can be had for around a £1000. That said I think the main selling point with this is the 40inch model. No other manufacturers seem to be offering the spec etc for a sub 50inch TV.

23. Newguy356

Newguy356
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys, I'm looking at the 40 inch version but one of my key requirements is using the TV with wireless headphones. I'm have a very big issue with audio lag, it drives me nuts!

I realise that this TV has both a traditional audio socket and it also has Bluetooth as well. Is anybody able to tell me how well a Bluetooth headset works with the TV?

My local John Lewis doesn't yet have the set it for me to test

Thank you
    Newguy

24. sam786

sam786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

Hi,

I have tested the audio (live tv) with my Bose Soundlink Mini 2 Bluetooth speaker and it works very well without any lag.

25. Newguy356

Newguy356
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you Sam. Very much appreciated. New Guy

26. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hello all,

I don't really do detailed reviews but I will do my best and please be gentle as I am not an av expert but I do appreciate a good picture.

Build quality:
    Ok, so yesterday I unpacked the TV (40 inch version) and set up the stand etc. I had seen the 50inch version in Richer sounds so I already knew what the TV looked like but this is wall mounted so I hadn't seen the stand. I have owned many TV's and the stand from this was slightly more fiddly than previous models and I was a little disappointed that the main visible part is a brushed metal effect plastic. This said the 4 connecting parts that need to be screwed together are mostly metal and this does look nice and modern and slightly unusual in a good way. There is also a cable management system built into the stand legs. It's not the best I have seen but will do the job at conceiling cables. I had seen that the richer sounds original blog about the TV had mentioned the bezel was a high gloss alluminium (no other hands on review mentions this) . This is a pleasant surprise and there does appear to be a thin strip of high gloss alluminium around the bezel. This mixed with the protruding glass panel really gives a gorgeous modern look which I am again really pleased with. The set is nice and slim (at the top part anyway) obviously not OLED thin but again Panasonic have done a great job here and the build quality is pretty good. That's enough on the appearance.

Picture Quality:
    Turning to the picture quality I was initially concerned as there was quite a lot of backlight clouding, however a (very) careful rub with a soft microfibre cloth in circular motions has cleared that up nicely. The picture quality out of the box is very good however watching anything in HDR with Dolby Vision the backlight automatically increases to 100 and the blacks did appear to have a greyish tint. This is being used as a bedroom TV in very dark conditions. I have reduced this to 80 and the blacks look so much better. I still have not played about with all the settings but changing the dolby vision to vivid really makes the image pop. Putting something like Our Planet on in Netflix Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision is truly fantastic, the contrast and colours look really great and sharp. I know some people had been concerned that this was a 60hz panel and not 120hz so I played formula 1 drive to survive on netflix to test it out. I honestly could not see any motion blur or ghosting so I personally don't consider this an issue. I will add that I am not a gamer so will be using the TV for films, programmes and the occasional sports. I think the picture quality overall is great, contrast, Black uniformity etc and black levels for an LED TV. I am still surprised that this is edge lit and you honestly can't tell. This may of course differ with a larger screen size. Viewing angles on a VA screen do normally drop of fairly quickly and this is the case from viewing above the TV but from viewing from the sides the image holds really well and much better than the Samsungs I have owned and even better than my cx802b with has full array local dimming. Really pleased with the screen here.

The sound:
    Normal TV sounds OK and better than most of the flat screen TV's I have owned and yes obviously it is no substitute for a good sound bar. Watching something in Dolby Atmos though was a really pleasantly surprises, the TV makes a great job of creating a 3D sound I haven't heard from a TV and you could really tell the difference. I know someone asked about the Bluetooth capabilities and I connected 4 sets of Bluetooth headphones, and the TV does store them but unfortunately you can only connect one set at a time. The sound was great with no lag on any of the sets so anyone wanting the Bluetooth headphone as I do so not to wake the kids should have no problem here.

Connection:
    The initial connection was not bad and connected to the wireless broadband no problem and compared to the cx802b the OS is still very easy to navigate with the usual Amazon, Netflix, YouTube etc. All supporting 4K and the only things missing I use is NowTV. Not a huge problem as the response speed etc is great where I understand sony and the other android TV's get a lot of flack for response times etc. I will also add that I got the Google assistant working and although it was a bit if a pain setting this up it works very well with my phone and I can perform things like volume changes and switch the TV on and off etc. No such problem here so far.

It is a shame there are no more detailed (professional) reviews about so far but at £649 for a 2019 top mid range range feature packed LED TV this is a good price and I hope this review helps anyone who was on the fence.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  27. brewerdave

brewerdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    @bowman1 -Seriously considering the 58" version for my lounge - but the major problem with my existing 51" Samsung plasma concerns reflections because the room is bright for daytime watching. How is the performance of the Panny in daylight please??

28. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I have just opened the curtains and blinds where the sun shines in this side of the house in the mornings and it is a bright sunny day. The screen does have a very high gloss finish so there is a great deal of reflection on a dark programme but not that noticeable on a bright programme. You can however still see a slight reflection of my bed etc from an angle. I hope this helps and I have attached some pictures that I hope help.

Attached Files:

29. bowman1

bowman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Some more photos of guardians of the galaxy vol. 2 streamed from netflix where I have changed the picture settings to dynamic.

Attached Files:

30. brewerdave

brewerdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    @bowman1- thanks for that - looks like I'd have a similar problem to current for daytime viewing:thumbsdow