Quantcast

Panasonic GT60 Replacement ..... is OLED better

paul1966

Standard Member
I have a Panasonic P50GT60 which has been an amazing TV. However with more 4K starting to be broadcast, HDR and PS4 Pro I am thinking maybe it is time to upgrade and replace.

I use the TV for HD broadcasts (BBC, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc), PS4 games, but don't really watch blu rays.

Having not looked at TVs for awhile I am slightly out of the loop and would very much value any thoughts from those of you that have moved from plasma to OLED. My questions are:

1. Does current mid to high level OLED have as good motion control as plasma (e.g. watching football and other sports)
2. Is the contract as 'natural' as plasma. For example watching 'coronation street' looks very natural with colours that are not over saturated.
3. Does 4K make a huge difference for PS4 Pro gaming
4. Does HDR really improve the quality of the picture for most TV broadcasts.
5. Finally would you suggest I move from 50 to 65 inches - I sit about 13 feet from the TV screen, or will HD pictures look 'grainy' as still the vast majority of broadcasts are still in this format.

Thank you

Paul

wezzywebb

Distinguished Member
100% Oled is better ,you will not be disappointed ,I came from a long line of Panny plasmas the last being the ZT65, I currently have a 65 C8 and its fantastic in every way ,and beats any plasma in every department

paul1966

Standard Member
Thank you Wezzywebb very much appreciated. Spent a few hours looking at various reviews of LG C8 vs Samsung Q9 vs Panasonic FZ952. Each as always have advantages and disadvantages, so will need to see them in action to finally make a decision. If you have any additional thoughts on this I would value your opinion. Thanks Paul

wezzywebb

Distinguished Member
Thank you Wezzywebb very much appreciated. Spent a few hours looking at various reviews of LG C8 vs Samsung Q9 vs Panasonic FZ952. Each as always have advantages and disadvantages, so will need to see them in action to finally make a decision. If you have any additional thoughts on this I would value your opinion. Thanks Paul
Ok the general opinion is that the FZ952 has a slightly more accurate picture than the C8 as standard ,however the C8 counters that by having a better OS,Dolby Vision ,Atmos via Netflix etc and generally being the most complete set right now ,although I doubt you would be unhappy with either set :).
As for the Q9 from what I have seen of it ,its a great LED set ,but not as good as a good OLED

paul1966

Standard Member
Thank you - very helpful

generalgizmo

Can only agree with the above I was in the same boat early this yr and eventually went from the pioneer krp to last yrs Panasonic oled ez952 I only use it for films in my den mind you but it betters my kuro... infinite blacks, very bright, 4khdr bluray movies are a step up but mostly only newer films.. tried Netflix for 1st time and was impressed... I sit 6.5 feet away from a 55inch screen for 13ft a 65inch is a must.. I however went for the panny oled as it was very plasma like in it's picture but doesn't have dolby vision etc. You probably can't go wrong with either brand of oled but check them out for yourself book an appointment in a shop like RS for their demo room as nothings too much trouble lights on/off mess about picture settings.. bright shop floors are not a realistic home environment and mostly it's just 4k demos on vivid mode... your own eyes will judge better than what a review says..

take your time and dont feel bad putting the tv through it's paces or asking to change screen settings.. it's your money at the end of the day
Good luck :smashin:

Leo31291

I just upgraded myself from Plasma to OLED. For 1080p content I think I actually prefer the plasma, or at least there isn't much in it and not worth the upgrade. Browsing through something like freeview for instance. But if you watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime where you have access to 4K shows and films go for the OLED.

generalgizmo

I just upgraded myself from Plasma to OLED. For 1080p content I think I actually prefer the plasma, or at least there isn't much in it and not worth the upgrade. Browsing through something like freeview for instance. But if you watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime where you have access to 4K shows and films go for the OLED.
What plasma did you have and what oled did you get...?? Had a tweaked kuro now ez952 have to agree found not too much difference as you say in 1080 apart from bit more detail and added brightness but 4khdr is great and only yday tried Netflix.. pretty much blown away by the picture

Leo31291

What plasma did you have and what oled did you get...?? Had a tweaked kuro now ez952 have to agree found not too much difference as you say in 1080 apart from bit more detail and added brightness but 4khdr is great and only yday tried Netflix.. pretty much blown away by the picture
Had a Panny TXP42U30B to an LG B8. I upgraded slowly, compatible receiver > UHD Disc player > PS4 to a PS4 Pro > Upgrade netflix account > 4K display. Not worth upgrading if you haven't got the sources yet.

paul1966

Standard Member
Thank you Generalgizmo - will definitely book an appointment at richer sounds for a full demo

THX1138UK

I have a Panasonic P50GT60 which has been an amazing TV. However with more 4K starting to be broadcast, HDR and PS4 Pro I am thinking maybe it is time to upgrade and replace.

I use the TV for HD broadcasts (BBC, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc), PS4 games, but don't really watch blu rays.

Having not looked at TVs for awhile I am slightly out of the loop and would very much value any thoughts from those of you that have moved from plasma to OLED. My questions are:

1. Does current mid to high level OLED have as good motion control as plasma (e.g. watching football and other sports)
2. Is the contract as 'natural' as plasma. For example watching 'coronation street' looks very natural with colours that are not over saturated.
5. Finally would you suggest I move from 50 to 65 inches - I sit about 13 feet from the TV screen, or will HD pictures look 'grainy' as still the vast majority of broadcasts are still in this format.

Thank you

Paul
While OLED picture quality is definitely better, and HDR can be a really great experience, motion is the poor cousin. Due to the display & hold nature of OLED, motion does not look as smooth as a Plasma display. How much you notice and how important this is, is purely personal and it's probably something you'll get used to. Some people don't even perceive any difference.

If you hate frame interpolation and other motion-smoothing 'features', then you will probably notice that motion looks different - at least for a while.

Contrast and colour saturation on OLEDs is superb. You have nothing to worry about.

HDR does not improve the quality of the picture as such - in allows for higher peak brightness that makes specular highlights more intense (its not about making the overall image brighter). Currently, there is no broadcast programming in HDR. But there's plenty from Amazon & NetFlix and some test material from the BBC on iPlayer. Normal (SDR) content will look exactly the same as it does today.

I would strongly suggest you go to a shop where they don't mind you playing with the settings (Richer Sounds for example) and spend some time watching the type of content that you like. The OLED TV performance from Sony, LG and Panasonic are all very similar.

A 55" OLED TV is physically as large as a 50" Plasma, as the bezel is much smaller. You're paying a big price premium moving from 55" to 65". A 65" image won't look grainy at 13 ft. The upscaling in modern TVs is very good.

Regards,
James.

paul1966

Standard Member
Thank you James for your thoughts

Texasjack

Thank you

Paul
This question is subjective because if you like the plasma look better you will not be happy with OLED. I just upgraded to OLED, a higher-end model and I still like my Panasonic Plasma better. To my eye the OLED looks over-processed and unnatural. It looks like an HD version of real life. Originally I thought this was because I had not had the TV calibrated, I was wrong because it has the same feel post calibration. OLED certainly is impressive it's just a very different look and feel. I personally prefer plasma. Also 4K in most cases is indistinguishable from 1080p HD on most screen sizes at most common viewing distances. The human eye isn't capable of detecting the difference in resolution. This is a scientific fact feel free to look it up.

Red 5

Standard Member
Hi:

Short answer is, NO. My Panasonic Plasma GT25 is a LOT better than my LG OLED55B7 because of the Motion Resolution. The only thing GT25 can't compite is the Black levels. Yes, the OLED B7 is 4K but in Motion, isn't even close to a 720p TV. Despite Netflix and some other content, ALL the other content on the Internet or Blu-ray isn't Native 4K.
I just can't imagine how GOOD the Black levels should be on your GT60

geese

Oled is superb.....will satisfy anyone especially if its one of the better ones like the Pana. But I wont upgrade my KRP500 now that I have tweaked it. Its Picture even today can compete with the best of them....if not for Oled I think most folks wouldnt dare getting rid of their plasmas.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
I would say that only real 4K Hdr content is better on an OLED but not with motion and in the dark I would say I can barely tell the difference in black level, but in the day OLED is better, my KRP 500 is staying for a while yet :D.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
100% Oled is better ,you will not be disappointed ,I came from a long line of Panny plasmas the last being the ZT65, I currently have a 65 C8 and its fantastic in every way ,and beats any plasma in every department
lalalalala can't hear you!

*strokes 65VT50* :D

leedebs

Slightly ot but do the Panasonic oleds provide similar "plasma" type picture as the Panasonic plasmas? That sort of smooth look?

geese

Slightly ot but do the Panasonic oleds provide similar "plasma" type picture as the Panasonic plasmas? That sort of smooth look?
I saw Samsungs first oled years ago and that one had true RGB and looked very plasma like for me. I dont think many oleds use RGB though.

buzz_lightclick

In terms of picture yes, but not the motion, it’s quite different.

generalgizmo

Yes in the picture but more detailed in 4khdr I only use mine for blurays and 4k blurays in all fairness and it performs the same as my kuro does with movies... virtually all picture processing is OFF not tried it with TV or sports etc.. so for a pure movie machine it's a step forward but all round performance and use from what I've heard maybe not.. I still use the kuro in family room to watch boxing or UFC and then if not spending enough time the odd TV trash, soaps etc with the wife and family... if I must.. lol

aoaaron

No TV is really smooth like a plasma.

I have a Sammy Plasma, Panasonic 902B (FALD) and a LG C9 and the motion on a plasma is just annoyingly flawless. Its like silky smooth. The Panny 902B is surprisingly gorgeous for a FALD probably due to panny image processing and the C9 is awesome too. but the plasma just feels flawless. The others feel nice.

carbootking

Standard Member
This may sound nuts but I have a still brand new Panasonic P42GT60B I'm about to set up finally, with a Humax FVP 5000T to skirt around the lack of working apps on the Panasonic as its software updates have ended.

Anyone feel this will be a waste of time r.e. resulting picture?

joss7

Novice Member
This may sound nuts but I have a still brand new Panasonic P42GT60B I'm about to set up finally, with a Humax FVP 5000T to skirt around the lack of working apps on the Panasonic as its software updates have ended.

Anyone feel this will be a waste of time r.e. resulting picture?

NO.

MahaRaja

Thank you

Paul
I have the same TV as you and is running flawless. However, I have an upgrade itch and thinking to upgrade next year from the 2020 range. As there is still no 4K broadcast TV and not a big fan of Netlfix or Amazon shows, I may not upgrade if content does not increase.

I'll wait till the next spring/summer to see what's out there as content is king, could wait for another year 2021 when more 4K content becomes mainstream which might not still happen, but it seem mainstream adoption of 4K is very slow compared to HD adoption.

There is still no HDR 4K coverage on SKY or BT, as they're still experimenting with challenges of HDR live streaming/air. The thing I don't like about my 50GT60 is washed out picture at daytime/afternoon and lack of Amazon Prime Video app not build in, I watch it through a BD player, which is very slow and temperamental. However, if the built in Youtube app is faulty/not supported then I could see myself buying another set, as I watch a lot of Youtube than TV on my GT60.

Red 5

Standard Member
...I'll wait till the next spring/summer to see what's out there as content is king, could wait for another year 2021 when more 4K content becomes mainstream which might not still happen, but it seem mainstream adoption of 4K is very slow compared to HD adoption.
...The thing I don't like about my 50GT60 is washed out picture at daytime/afternoon and lack of Amazon Prime Video app not build in, I watch it through a BD player, which is very slow and temperamental. However, if the built in Youtube app is faulty/not supported then I could see myself buying another set, as I watch a lot of Youtube than TV on my GT60.
I believe that maybe you could check your calibration a little bit. My GT25 looks WONDERFUL at some day time. At night looks very good too but if the content is very dark, the blacks are a little "gray" because of the nature of the Panel. Nevertheless, side by side and overall the Panasonic Plasma GT25 looks a lot better (a LOT BETTER) than my LG OLED B7, for motion content.
I understand the "idea" that a 4K display should be better than a 1080p, for 4K content BUT, at least as today, there is NO 4K TV that can handle Motion Resolution without artifacts above 600 lines. Well, some pages says that some SONY TV's can handle 850 lines but I'm not sure about it.
Instead of a new display, have you considered something like nVIDIA SHIELD? It's future proof with 4K HDR and Dolby Vision and one of the fastest streaming media players. Excellent for your Plasma.

generalgizmo

I believe that maybe you could check your calibration a little bit. My GT25 looks WONDERFUL at some day time. At night looks very good too but if the content is very dark, the blacks are a little "gray" because of the nature of the Panel. Nevertheless, side by side and overall the Panasonic Plasma GT25 looks a lot better (a LOT BETTER) than my LG OLED B7, for motion content.
I understand the "idea" that a 4K display should be better than a 1080p, for 4K content BUT, at least as today, there is NO 4K TV that can handle Motion Resolution without artifacts above 600 lines. Well, some pages says that some SONY TV's can handle 850 lines but I'm not sure about it.
Instead of a new display, have you considered something like nVIDIA SHIELD? It's future proof with 4K HDR and Dolby Vision and one of the fastest streaming media players. Excellent for your Plasma.
Where you would you get one of the nVidia shield from..?? Reason I ask is we still use the kuro in the family room for everyday use and could be good for that as an all rounder it's pretty faultless and I bought it 11yrs ago.. I only use my Panasonic oled for 1080p and 4khdr bluray films and it seems to handle motion the same as the kuro in that area possibly because it's discs I'm using..?? but in all fairness it has never been used for standard TV so couldnt compare it.. however a customer of mine I do decorating for got an fz802 and after I changed the picture settings the football etc looked pretty smooth..

Red 5

Standard Member
Well; you can check this page: nVIDIA SHIELD Page it's for USA. I don't know how to help if you are in another country.
About your settings, i guess you can't see much difference because of the content. Blu-ray and UHD 4K Blu-ray are 24p.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Can I just ask as to exactly why a Nvidia Shield would be of any more use than a normal Roku box that's not 4K or DV or HDR be better to watch on a No 4K HDR/DV TV ? The TV can't display it so what is the point? Seems like a waste of money to me!

Red 5

Standard Member
Can I just ask as to exactly why a Nvidia Shield would be of any more use than a normal Roku box that's not 4K or DV or HDR be better to watch on a No 4K HDR/DV TV ? The TV can't display it so what is the point? Seems like a waste of money to me!
Well, like I said: Future proof. Also, the Hardware is a lot faster and better. Could someone say that is a waste of money? I guess but the advantage of the hardware can be "seen" even on a Full HD TV.