• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic GT50 or Sony HX853?

monkeyb0y

Standard Member
Hi - my local John Lewis is offering last years Panasonic 50 inch GT50 for £799 or the Sony 46 inch HX853 for £1000. I am tempted by both and can see significant savings compared to this years models. Is there an obvious choice here? Any advice would be appreciated please.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Uses, viewing angle and environment? What are you looking for in a TV?

monkeyb0y

Standard Member
I do watch a fair amount of SD content but am looking forward to moving to blu ray. I also want a decent gaming panel so that is important to me too. I have a fairly dark room and prefer viewing in a darker environment. Viewing angle is fairly straight on. I do quite like the tilt on the HX853 but realise its not to everyone's taste.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Plasma if you like gaming and good blacks but go demo in store and read the reviews

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
I do watch a fair amount of SD content but am looking forward to moving to blu ray. I also want a decent gaming panel so that is important to me too. I have a fairly dark room and prefer viewing in a darker environment. Viewing angle is fairly straight on. I do quite like the tilt on the HX853 but realise its not to everyone's taste.

For dark room viewing I would most definitely recommend the GT50 over the Sony.
Blacks will be far better on the plasma in those conditions.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom