Panasonic GT30 Owners Thread Part 5

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of the part 4 thread found here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1529132-panasonic-gt30-owners-thread-part-4-a.html

Last Post
Blue.Rocket said:
Just setting up my 50GT30 which is amazing so far!

I have a Humax freesat HD box that is displays great pictures on the GT30, and sound comes out of the TV speakers. I have a Panasonic BTT270 suround sound connected to the HDMI 2 ARC port on the TV and want to get the sound through from the freesat on HDMI 1 to the surround sound through ARC, is this possible? anyone got a setup like this?

Thanks
Just wondering why you have Humax box connected as the TV has freesat and freeview on board, unless you are trying to get a better surround sound ?..

After months of reasearch and years of being unhappy with LCDs i finally found a TV that will be just perfect for me - 42 or 46" GT30.

I saw it today in one of the stores and it looked really amazing. Just what i was looking for (could see it even in shop conditions).

I almost payed, but as I remembered my previous experiences, I decided to read a bit about it - i tend to always find problems after my shopping - the whole new world of stupidest issues opens in front of you while you go through endless threads. I just HATE those moments.

I thought i was sick of that and checked this one. Issues again (but i found out before buying this time). Can't believe it.

This time is that green blob thing. How stupid is that?

I planned to buy it tomorrow, so I don't have time to read all 4 parts of this thread. I read as much as i could.

Can you summarize it for me, please?

What are known issues of this TV? Is the green blob problem still present? Is it software or hardware related? What else should i know about it? How common is it?

Please tell me it's gone. I really want to buy this TV tomorrow. Can't believe thre's always something. I run away from LCDs to forget about problems and now this.

Thanx guys and Happy Holidays!

Cheers for the reply scooby. So it sounds like the vt ain't worth the extra cash over the gt unless u have a really bright room. I'm gonna try and hold off for a month if I can manage it as I no prices will drop loads in the gt30. But knowing me I will see the new sets and think I want one of them lol. But from things I've seen and heard the 2011 models weren't no better then the 2010 models unless u got lucky with a perfect set like yourself scooby.

Ryko1000 said:
After months of reasearch and years of being unhappy with LCDs i finally found a TV that will be just perfect for me - 42 or 46" GT30.

I saw it today in one of the stores and it looked really amazing. Just what i was looking for (could see it even in shop conditions).

I almost payed, but as I remembered my previous experiences, I decided to read a bit about it - i tend to always find problems after my shopping - the whole new world of stupidest issues opens in front of you while you go through endless threads. I just HATE those moments.

I thought i was sick of that and checked this one. Issues again (but i found out before buying this time). Can't believe it.

This time is that green blob thing. How stupid is that?

I planned to buy it tomorrow, so I don't have time to read all 4 parts of this thread. I read as much as i could.

Can you summarize it for me, please?

What are known issues of this TV? Is the green blob problem still present? Is it software or hardware related? What else should i know about it? How common is it?

Please tell me it's gone. I really want to buy this TV tomorrow. Can't believe thre's always something. I run away from LCDs to forget about problems and now this.

Thanx guys and Happy Holidays!

Bought a 46 gt30 a few weeks ago and haven't had any issues. The set and picture quality are fantastic.

I've read about a couple of people who have had the green blob issue, don't think it's a common problem and a lot of people have solved it with adjusting settings on the set.

Last edited:
I've read about a couple of people who have had the green blob issue, don't think it's a common problem and a lot of people have solved it with adjusting settings on the set.

It's actually a very common problem and it can't be removed by adjusting settings, although some have said it looks worse in some picture modes than others.

So it sounds like the vt ain't worth the extra cash over the gt unless u have a really bright room.

Nope - the GT30 is supposed to be a bit better if you have a bright room, as the better filter in the VT30 (which gives you the slightly better blacks) means the picture isn't quite as bright as the GT30 in brighter rooms.

This is pretty subjective though and could presumably only be checked by having both sets side-by-side at home, which is a pretty unlikely scenario !

the green blob issue isnt really that bad as people make out, certainly not a deal breaker, there is no perfect TV out at the moment, as long as you get a decent warranty you will have peace of mind.

some say its present on all the models but people just cant see it or not noticed it

loving my 50GT30

I got the 42" model from the Amazon Boxing Day deal and have set it up today. First of all it looks brilliant and the THX preset seems to be a great option for the Blurays I've tried so far.

I tested the gaming mode with MW3 and was wondering why the icons were chopped off at the sides, but switching off Overscan seems to have sorted this out.

The only remaining problem I'm having (aside from setting up my own picture settings, which I'll do after it's burned in for a few hundred hours) is the sound quality. It's fine for movies but sounds dreadful for gaming, where the sound FX are very hollow sounding. Does anyone have any recommended settings outside of the Speech and Music presets that I could try?

This and any improved picture settings would be much appreciated. :smashin:

Last edited:
Can someone really help me out please

Iv had this trouble on and off for some time now but for the last month it hasnt worked

Viera link use to always control my ps3 but now it just doesnt do anything, press the viera link button and says "feature not available"

What is up, can anyone help please?

Can someone really help me out please

Iv had this trouble on and off for some time now but for the last month it hasnt worked

Viera link use to always control my ps3 but now it just doesnt do anything, press the viera link button and says "feature not available"

What is up, can anyone help please?

try going in to menu,setup,link settings then make sure viera link is turned on mate,hope that helps.

When do you expect next year's models to arrive? GT50, for example. March, April?

[#1010 from Thread #4]

Quote :
Originally Posted by 'Srct' 27-12-11 11:54 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, however when i press the Viera Link button i don't get the Change speaker option come up like it says in the manual.
The Viera Link option is already set to 'On'. Tried turning it off and back on, but still don't get the Speaker Selection menu option to come up......

Reply: 'memphisuklf' 28-12-11 2:53 PM
What options do you get in viera link?
You may need to use the optical cable if your surround system isn't hdavi 5 compatible. Make sure you connect your surround to hdmi 2 on the tv.

New Reply:
I only have one menu option when i press 'Viera Link', which is 'Viera Link Control', which is the Bluray. If i turn Viera Link off in the setup menu, then pressing 'Viera Link', then this option doesn't come up. So 'Viera Link' does work, but i am guesing thst since my Q-TV2 cinema system is not HDMI 5 compatible, then this is probably why there is no 'Home Cinema' menu option in the Viera Link menu when i press the button?

The Q-TV2 Sound System i have has both Optical (which i am using) and 2xRCA, but no HDMI input, so i am reliant on the volume control of the TV to make the optical/electrical signal level to be turned up and down, whereas with HDMI 'Viera link' sound control, I suspect that the HDMI connections turn the volume up/down inside the Home Cinema system and the HDMI sound signal is a constant 'volume' from the TV, so it works differently. So basically I'm a bit knackered really and will have to stick with two remotes or only use the Home Cinema for proper films/programs.

Being a proud owner of a Panasonic plasma display for the past seven years I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my set to the newest budget oriented 3D model TX-P42GT30. I received this set at the start of last week and, sigh, I have returned it yesterday. The reasons:

(1) The picture colour quality is unacceptable. This display apparently is not capable of displaying a clear, brilliant, white no matter what settings I have tried. I have attempted all the recommendations suggested in various threads of the forum to no success, whites always ending up looking unimposing, dull, with lack of briliance, and a yellowish stain.

(2) Adding injury to insult, all other colours seem to be suffering from an overall greenish, yellowish stain that seems imposible to fix in a way that does not affect other viewing experience parameters. Especially affected are skin colours that seem unatural. My seven year old overall display picture quality looks like next year's model compared to the TX-P42GT30.

(3) The display generates excessive heat, which although welcome on a cold winter night, is dangerously raising the ambient temperature of the cabinet inside which the set is positioned. The almost constant whirling of the fans, hearable on a late night quiet viewing session, is also getting to my nerves.

I understand that the problems experienced could relate to the particular set I have purchased, but I have come to expect from Panasonic only the best in terms of built qulaity, and it is extremely uncomforting to have to rely on lack for purchasing a set that does not experience any problems. For all of these reasons I returned the display, and I am looking forward for Panasonic to improve on all of these issues before attempting my next purchase.

I'd just about settled on buying a 46GT30 or 50GT30 but am really not sure due to this and other GT/VT threads. I know people are more likely to complain in posts than praise, but I've really never seen so many people post consistently with the same issues like the green blobs and IR.

Honestly not sure what to do about buying a new 3D TV now...

Can someone explain about the "HDMI audio return channel" connection? What does audio return channel mean? I'm planning (should I buy this) to connect Sky HD and a PS3 to it via HDMI and use the TV's optical out to our 5.1 speakers. I'm assuming the audio for Sky or PS3 will come out the TV's speakers and also the 5.1 speakers if they are on. Is there more to it than this?

I'd just about settled on buying a 46GT30 or 50GT30 but am really not sure due to this and other GT/VT threads. I know people are more likely to complain in posts than praise, but I've really never seen so many people post consistently with the same issues like the green blobs and IR.

Honestly not sure what to do about buying a new 3D TV now...

I am in the same boat but have come to the conclusion that the best place to buy is amazon. That way I can test a tv and if it had green tinge or a bad case of IR I can return it within 30 days no questions asked. That way I can try TV's and wait for a good one. Sure it is not ideal and may be a hassle but hopefully the problem is not as widespread as people are making it out

My understanding is that if you buy from high street stores then if you are not happy it might be a bit more difficult to return as they prefer to try and fix the problem in yout home

Interesting view, Fletchybold. I was thinking that if I buy it from Amazon, it might be harder/more expensive to return as I'd have to post or courier it back. Also I read that plasmas must be carefully transported upright and I don't know how it will fare in transit. But you think it will be easy to return or swap?

I've been thinking of trying to buy it from Richer Sounds if they would price match Amazon. They'll likely say no as their T&Cs say they only match prices including a warranty, but their own site also says the GT30 comes with free 5 year warranty (presumably Panasonic's in-store demo offer) so I wonder how they'd justify insisting on adding on their own...

Received my TX-P46GT30B this week from JL with the Bluray player and glasses for £1149.

First impressions compared to my TH-42PZ70 are that the GT30 is much brighter and sharper than the 4yr plasma. Its thin enough and the best bit is that the chassis is the same size so no need for a stand change.

I read through all the pages of this thread and contemplated waiting until next year for the 2012 range, but the wife kept nagging me after my trusted Loewe Articos 32 died. On that note, the GT30s sound is worse imo than the 42PZ70 and both are miles away from the excellent Linn speakers in the Loewe, but I cant expect any TV to match that!

I noticed a slight brightness change in the TV whilst watching HD material so I downloaded the lastest firmware, set the TV on THX mode, turned off all the rubbish 'enhancements' like CATS, motion dooda, etc. and it seems to have gone for now.

I dont see any green blobs or any other pictures issues yet.

The fan noise is there but less than the old plasma I have and you wont notice it unless you mute the TV.

I was amazed by the quality of the picture whilst watching iplayer through Veira cast.

Should I use a break in slide show for the first 200 hours? I am paranoid by burn in as my old plasma has a silly faint cbeebies logo after hours of watching kids shows. Its only present on dark grey screens but its there.

How can I set the 4:3 black bars to grey? On the 42PZ70 I somehow set it, but I cant find any option on the GT30.

Also I must be the 1% who sees the flicker, its alot more visible on the GT30 than the 42PZ70 and might get annoying, lets see...

Interesting view, Fletchybold. I was thinking that if I buy it from Amazon, it might be harder/more expensive to return as I'd have to post or courier it back. Also I read that plasmas must be carefully transported upright and I don't know how it will fare in transit. But you think it will be easy to return or swap?

I've been thinking of trying to buy it from Richer Sounds if they would price match Amazon. They'll likely say no as their T&Cs say they only match prices including a warranty, but their own site also says the GT30 comes with free 5 year warranty (presumably Panasonic's in-store demo offer) so I wonder how they'd justify insisting on adding on their own...

Good point I hadn't factored the return in. I understand that Amazon arrange and pay for the return and deduct the cost from your refund. I have no idea how much that is likely to be. If it is damaged in transport I assume that is their responsibility as they make the shipping arrangements.

I can't find where it says that the 5 year guarantee is free at Richer Sounds, on their site it says you have to pay for it. ???

Amazon pay the return cost if the need for the return was down to them. i.e. it is damaged in any way. I would argue IR and the green tinge would be a fault and that they have provided a set that is not functioning the way it should and that they should pay all delivery costs.

I can't find where it says that the 5 year guarantee is free at Richer Sounds, on their site it says you have to pay for it. ???

On this 50GT30 page it says Free 5 Year Guarantee on the image. They also have an option to buy their own cover.

I understand that Panasonic are doing a free 5 year warranty themselves through certain retailers once you've had an in-store demo. So I presume that's what this is about. I can see RS arguing they'll only price match deals with warranties, so won't match Amazon.

50GT30 arrived today from Amazon...set it up and there is a 10" strip down the right-hand edge of the display that is completely dead. Amazon can't re-deliver until 4th Jan due to the holiday. What a ball-ache...

Had my 46" GT30 2 weeks now. It's a nice clean panel, don't see any issues, bourght it from J/Lewis, great staff there in Norwich. Wanted a 50" but they had stopped buying them, so I settled for the 46".
Was thinking of doing a return for the 50"VT model which they have, but will I see much difference other than paying out another £600 to upgrade to the VT. After reading the problems some people are getting with their sets, Maybe I should stick to the 46"GT30 I have, as it seems to be a good panel
Is there much difference ?. What's your view.

I must be one of the lucky ones. Probably in the majority actually. I'm really happy with the picture quality, I've fiddled my way into better sound quality for gaming from the TV speakers (my 5.1 set-up is boxed away for now as I contemplate moving house) and that's before I've even tried the 3D, which was one of the main reasons for me buying.

Last edited:
50GT30 arrived today from Amazon...set it up and there is a 10" strip down the right-hand edge of the display that is completely dead. Amazon can't re-deliver until 4th Jan due to the holiday. What a ball-ache...

Shame, it really seems like a lottery. Fingers crossed for the next one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom