• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic GT30 just arrived:)

fred251

Established Member
Just got myself a pan a gt30 and so far I'm very impress ,great set and picture is far better that samsung d7000/8000

mturner67

Standard Member
How is it with the 3d glasses on? I looked at pannys last year and thought the picture became too dark with the glasses. I'm now trying to make my mmind up between a 46 inch GT30 or the Samsung D7/800.

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
Have you owned a calibrated Sammy D8000 so you can compare?

Just interested?

fred251

Established Member
Woodywizz said:
Have you owned a calibrated Sammy D8000 so you can compare?

Just interested?

Just returned a 46d 8000 with more fault you can count in one hand.
Banding ,switching off by himself ,light bleed ( pretty bad one at the top)
Could never get the picture to look as I wanted it .

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
Blimey unlucky...with Samsung it does seem a bit of a lottery as to what panel you get.

keithinnate

Standard Member
Comparing a panny plasma to an lcd isnt really fair tho :p

do you mean because the panny plasma is alwasy going to win ?

i thought it was a great comparision.. as these were two of the sets im considering buying.. similar size.. similar price.. great to hear someones view comparing them, who has had both.

fred251

Established Member
keithinnate said:
do you mean because the panny plasma is alwasy going to win ?

i thought it was a great comparision.. as these were two of the sets im considering buying.. similar size.. similar price.. great to hear someones view comparing them, who has had both.

I ad both and if I ave been lucky to ave a good set with the D8000 I will ave kept it.

keithinnate

Standard Member
hey fred

really.. at the top of this thread you said that the panny had a "far better picture than the d7000/8000" ?

if you think the panny has a better picture anyway, then even discounting the reliability issues , why would you still go with a reliable samsung ?

fred251

Established Member
In 2d the picture of the samsung got the edge and sd Chanel are looking a bit better .
In hd can't see much difference.
In 3d the panasonic is a lot better.

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
I've always had a Panny plasma and have no doubt that the GT30 and the VT30 are tremendous sets, all I can say is I now have the 46D8000 and I am blown away with the picture...both in SD, HD, and 3D.

I would imagine the Panny is more consistent across panels though.

fred251

Established Member
Woodywizz said:
I've always had a Panny plasma and have no doubt that the GT30 and the VT30 are tremendous sets, all I can say is I now have the 46D8000 and I am blown away with the picture...both in SD, HD, and 3D.

I would imagine the Panny is more consistent across panels though.

Not as good with sd like the samsung

gshocker30

Standard Member
I'm seriously looking at the 42" variant of the GT30. The purchase will be my first flat panel TV. With 3D it looks to have loads of features. So you recomend it?

fred251

Established Member
gshocker30 said:
I'm seriously looking at the 42" variant of the GT30. The purchase will be my first flat panel TV. With 3D it looks to have loads of features. So you recomend it?

Just came back from work and started to watch 3D stuff that I recorded on sky.
Bolt in 3D was amazing . Bugs documentary was more then amazing .
I'm more then happy with that tv

myworlduk

Standard Member
Not as good with sd like the samsung
Try switching on the Resolution Enhancer and you will be blown away at how it manages SD content.

I've returned my SAMSUNG PS50D7000 due to constant picture drop outs and poor 3D.

The GT30 blows anything else that I've demo'd.

Well pleased with it ...

myworlduk

Standard Member

The 3D on my 50" GT30 is so good, the Demo I had in store on the 42" was of an underwater reef scene and it was like being at an Aquarium, so realistic.

Nothing compares to the quality of these latest models, you won't regret buying one !

gshocker30

Standard Member
I went into John Lewis in Bristol and and spent a good 30 mins browsing and checking out the TV's (quite refreshing not to stalked by the sales team).

The in-store deal on the 42" GT30 appear a bit different to their web site.
Buy the TV set for £1150 AND the Blu ray player for £149, AND 1 set of glasses £129 then they knock off £150. There is also 4 x Blu ray 3D discs = £1280

On line for £1300 you get the set, the Blu ray player, and the 4 discs. Buy 1 set of glasses for £129, then they knock off £150 = £1279

Pretty similar! The deals appeal though as I do not have any existing compatible stuff, so i'm effectivley starting from scratch. Any suggestion where to buy?
Also a few questions:
Can you use the pasive glasses instead / as well as the active ones?
Does a Panasonic TV mean only Panasonic glasses?
What is the Viera interface and content like?
:)

fred251

Established Member
gshocker30 said:
I went into John Lewis in Bristol and and spent a good 30 mins browsing and checking out the TV's (quite refreshing not to stalked by the sales team).

The in-store deal on the 42" GT30 appear a bit different to their web site.
Buy the TV set for £1150 AND the Blu ray player for £149, AND 1 set of glasses £129 then they knock off £150. There is also 4 x Blu ray 3D discs = £1280

On line for £1300 you get the set, the Blu ray player, and the 4 discs. Buy 1 set of glasses for £129, then they knock off £150 = £1279

Pretty similar! The deals appeal though as I do not have any existing compatible stuff, so i'm effectivley starting from scratch. Any suggestion where to buy?
Also a few questions:
Can you use the pasive glasses instead / as well as the active ones?
Does a Panasonic TV mean only Panasonic glasses?
What is the Viera interface and content like?
:)

Only active glasses with the panasonic and only with panasonic glasses.
The new vier a connect is very good and very fast .
You can ave any brand of blu ray player as lo g that is 3D ready

Goooner

Distinguished Member
You can get cheaper third party glasses that will work with Panny. If you have a look in this forum, there are a few threads about them. Mform I believe are one, there's another one too, but I can't recall the name off the top of my head.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom