• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic G3 Query, Before Buying.

jedi master

Established Member
At the moment all I have is my iPhone 4 and a Sony DSC-P120. As I have tickets for the Velodrome on the 6th(will be in the upper tier) I am after a new camera. I like the G3 due to the fact the reviews I have been reading give it high praises, and the sample images I have seen, both from the reviews and user shots have looked really good. I also like the flip out screen.

Before I buy though is there anything else I should possible look at for around £320 or is the G3 one of the top cameras for that price? excluding DSLRs.

Also at a guess, any one know how well it will cope inside the Velodrome, having never been inside a venue like this I have no idea how the lighting is.

I have looked at reviews of some compacts but the image quality just didn't seem to match up to the G3.

Jammyb

Prominent Member
Go for it. The kit may struggle a bit indoors, if you could spring for the 45mm 1.8 as well you'd be good depending how far back you're sitting I suppose.

Though the IS on the kit lens will allow shots to be sharp with athletes blurry which may look good.

jedi master

Established Member
Ordered earlier today, and good to come back here and read "go for it" rather than something else. Although in the upper tier and considering the Velodrome only holds 6000, from photos I have seen online it still looks like I will have a really good view. To be honest though I can't really push to one of those lenses at the moment.

Regardless, I will be happy to get photos of the event, that will be a whole lot better than what I have to take photos now.

Gordab

Established Member
I'm sure you'll enjoy the G3, I've only had mine a while but love it.

If you can spare a bit more, the 45-200mm lens is on offer at Argos at the moment and with cashback comes to £149 - see the Bargains and discounts forum for details. A lot will depend on the light available in the velodrome, I'd have thought it would be enough as long as it's a reasonably bright day.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom