• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic G20 range considering buying

barryb20

Standard Member
Hi all,

first of I have read all the reviews and now scared myself off by reading the AV forum panasonic G20 threads :laugh:

I am a long standing LCD user, current TV is a 2 year old mid range 40" Sony Bravia, and fancied trying out a Plasma.

Now all the issues that plasma seems to have, run in, image retention, burnin, colour graduation etc etc. Sounds a bit too high maintenance, surely you should be able to use a modern plasma without having to perform various rituals to resolve IR etc?

I was really keen to get the 50" G20 (even the 42") but all the negative threads have put me off now :rolleyes: esp the colour issue / buzzing

Is there a good alternative to the Panny, or do I risk the Panny quality lottery?

Thanks for any advice

Barry

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Firstly don't believe all the crap you read :D modern sets do not require running in & whilst IR can happen it's usually gone within a minute or less, burn is Virtually impossible (unless you either set out to do it or are very unfortunate).

The LG350 or 590 are good value sets that most are very happy with, as are most of the G20 users :)

barryb20

Standard Member
Firstly don't believe all the crap you read :D modern sets do not require running in & whilst IR can happen it's usually gone within a minute or less, burn is Virtually impossible (unless you either set out to do it or are very unfortunate).

The LG350 or 590 are good value sets that most are very happy with, as are most of the G20 users :)

Thanks for the quick reply Paul, I will look at the other 2 sets, I looked at reviews for the LG 990 but it appears to have IR issues, but is similar price to th 50" G20.

The lure of the better image on Plasma sets is strong!

Barry

dankear

Standard Member
I changed up from a sony kdl40 w2000 lcd to the 42 g20 last week . Iam very pleased with the tv its much better than the set it replaced . No buzzing or any of the other problems people are having . I think an important thing to remember is that all the reported problems you read about ( and im sure there are problems ) are still a small percentage as most owners seem very pleased , i know i am . Best thing to do is view it for yourself . Hope this helps .

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the quick reply Paul, I will look at the other 2 sets, I looked at reviews for the LG 990 but it appears to have IR issues, but is similar price to th 50" G20.

The lure of the better image on Plasma sets is strong!

Barry

Take a look at this review Barry Here & this thread Here

There's a few who have had G20, V20 or VT20 sets & changed to the 590 & are very happy. In fairness though there's an awful lot of happy G20 owners :)

barryb20

Standard Member
Thanks dankear, where did you buy your G20 from? I'm thinking about John Lewis as they have the 5 year warranty :) Tempted by the LG 590 as well, will definately be checking them both in the flesh.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks dankear, where did you buy your G20 from? I'm thinking about John Lewis as they have the 5 year warranty :) Tempted by the LG 590 as well, will definately be checking them both in the flesh.

JL is a good place to buy if you can get them to price match, otherwise very expensive. Richersounds is an excellent place to buy & have cheap (10%) five year warranties. :)

dUFFERS10

JL reduced the g20 42inch to 599 inc of 5 year warranty, last week

barryb20

Standard Member
I just checked comet have 10% of the 50" taking it £10 less than J/L obv without the warranty.

Is getting the 5 year worth it? How much extra is Comets warranty and is it better / worse than J/L I wonder.

Matt.Wild

Comets is about £200 and is not a lot better if at all the John Lewis's. I'd Stick with JL.

DavidColeman

Standard Member
I just checked comet have 10% of the 50" taking it £10 less than J/L obv without the warranty.

Is getting the 5 year worth it? How much extra is Comets warranty and is it better / worse than J/L I wonder.

The JL warranty in my opinion is second to none, I`ve bought all my TV`s from them.

pablo27

Standard Member

...and then put it back up again to £699.95 today !

I waited and waited until the price dropped last week and then jumped at it. Even though they were out of stock in store, they took a reservation. It's now being delivered next Tuesday.

barryb20

Standard Member
Paul thanks for the links, makes my decision all the harder lol :) Will head to the shops this weekend to check them out

Pablo, Comet have 10% off both the G20 models :D

Barry

pablo27

Standard Member
Paul thanks for the links, makes my decision all the harder lol :) Will head to the shops this weekend to check them out

Pablo, Comet have 10% off both the G20 models :D

Barry

I'd still watch the prices for a week or two Barry, the TX-P42G20B was £599 in there last week, now up to £629 with the discount ? Also their warranty is very expensive. The Amazon price is good but also without warranty, maybe try Richer sounds ?

barryb20

Standard Member
Will do, though not sure which set I will get yet! Might see if Comet would knock some £ off their warranty...

Steve let us know how you get on with your G20 :)

Barry

barryb20

Standard Member
OK! I have a 50" G20 reserved at John Lewis, question will this fit in the back of my Honda Civic! I can fold the rear seats up so the box will slide in the behind the front seats so it is not lying down, it maybe at a slight angle and not bolt upright, is this an issue?

So how big is the 50" box if someone hasn't chucked theirs!?!

If it fits I will pick it up tomorrow :laugh: any help with box sizes much appreciated! :thumbsup:

It was close between that and the LG 590 but the LG screen was probably too reflective for me :(

Barry

steve69

Will do, though not sure which set I will get yet! Might see if Comet would knock some £ off their warranty...

Steve let us know how you get on with your G20 :)

Barry

will do Barry,
its going good at the mo, no problems with mine so far. no buzzing or anything. im still running it in at the mo so ive got it set on thx with the contrast and brightness just under half way ( dont know if that is how to run it in or not though)and its a little dull for my eyes but apart from that im well chuffed, so glad that ive changed from lcd to plasma.
even the wife commented on the picture which is very unusual as the colours are so much more life like.
this is about my 9th tv now ranging from lcd panasonic ( pre hd ) up through humax, sony, philips, samsung ect and this is the best tv by far.

Last edited:

barryb20

Standard Member
OK bit the bullet I am going Plasma :), decided to be patient and order from John Lewis who are delivering on Thursday, weather permitting.

Went for the 50G20 so have my fingers toes and ears crossed it is OK :laugh:

The 5 year warranty was too good to pass up esp as it was free, so had to reign in the "I want it now!!!" tendencies :rotfl: This is going to be a long week I think!

Will let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks for all the replies and help, great forum :smashin:

Barry

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom