Panasonic G20 random click sound

germanjulian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

as you know when you switch on your TV from standby you hear this click sound from the back left of the TV and then the TV turns on. When you switch the TV off it takes 2 minute and again a click sound is heard.

Now I suppose that is the power supply being switched on and off or something with capacitators.

However I get this click sound randomly when the TV is in standby (and has been for hours even). Basically it goes "clickclick" and that is it.

I have noticed this 4 weeks ago and have heard this a few times now.

Has anyone else noticed this? I don't think its really an issue but mhh :confused: maybe I should call Panasonic?

The double click of the relays after a couple of minutes is when it puts itself into minimal power usage Standby.

I think the clicks you here at random intervals are something to do with Auto updates (TV checking to see if any available) which is done without powering on the panel as such.

Pretty sure if you turn off any auto updates in the menu you will not hear it again :)

mhhh I will try. Am working from home today and TV shall be off :cool:

so lets hear if it clicks again

I switched of the automatic firmware update when in standby and it still does it :(

I switched of the automatic firmware update when in standby and it still does it :(
Only two possibilities I can think of then; a) An intermittent loss of mains supply for a split second (is the mains wiring & socket in good condition?) or b) there is a dry joint perhaps on the power supply board of the TV which will of course require a service call :(

well when I watch TV this click never happens...

odd odd. Might give them a call.

My g20 does that clicking business on standby and im pretty sure there is a lot of people whoes sets do exactly the same, it is not a fault but what is it?
I think its something to do with a power relay but what?

My g20 does that clicking business on standby and im pretty sure there is a lot of people whoes sets do exactly the same, it is not a fault but what is it?
I think its something to do with a power relay but what?

It is a relay for sure but I cant see any reason for it to do it & mine certainly doesn't. I get the click about a few of minutes after you power down & it goes into low power state but that it.

FWIW my 2 generations old PZ80 does the same thing (seemingly random clicks hours after going into standy) from time to time. Must be quite deep in the design.

I know some manufacturers sets do it when updating the Freeview EPG, could this be what's happening?

It could i suppose be looking for an update, but several times a day and night seems a tad excessive.

In my case it would be trying and failing as there is no aerial attached!

...could this be the answer?

It could i suppose be looking for an update, but several times a day and night seems a tad excessive.

Agreed, thats all you need; A TV with OCD :laugh:

^^^ it is a panasonic ha ha.
I have attached aerial and satellite ands it does it so it cant be that.

However I get this click sound randomly when the TV is in standby (and has been for hours even). Basically it goes "clickclick" and that is it.

Someone over in the G20 owners' thread says it's when it downloads the stupid "guide+" advertisements.

It is the tv guide adverts and you cant switch them off. The noise happens at around 3am, 4am then 9am. It first makes a series of clicks as if the tv is about to switch on, then a few minutes later makes a single click, the same as the click a couple of minutes after turning the tv off.
You can see when it last happened and when it will next happen if you look in the menu under guide+ settings then info.:smashin:

I have just bought the TX-P50S20B and this too does a double-click every so often! I am disgusted at Panasonic who couldn't tell me whether it's normal or not! The shop also didn't have a clue. But an internet search shows that many people have the same issue.
It seems that some users misunderstand our description of the sound for "creaking" due to heat expansion! No! this is definitely a relay either opening & closing or vice-versa!
As to how often... well, the TV had been off for about 1/4 hour when I heard it at 3.08pm today and again at 3.24pm! Nothing since and it's now nearly 4pm!
I have a returns number and therefore 28 days to decide whether to have it replaced. I don't want the hassle IF the replacement is the same.
So, does anyone actually have the definitive answer to this problem?
Regards,
Mike

EDIT: Just noticed the post above me... I just checked the GUIDE Plus+ screen and, sure enough, it says Last Download - 8/7/2010 @ 1514, next @ 0310!!!

1514 is almost in the middle of the 2 clicks I mentioned above... COINCIDENCE? or not!

However, it STILL double-clicks a few minutes after switching it off, every time!

Last edited:
I have just bought the TX-P50S20B and this too does a double-click every so often! I am disgusted at Panasonic who couldn't tell me whether it's normal or not! The shop also didn't have a clue. But an internet search shows that many people have the same issue.
It seems that some users misunderstand our description of the sound for "creaking" due to heat expansion! No! this is definitely a relay either opening & closing or vice-versa!
As to how often... well, the TV had been off for about 1/2 hour when I heard it at 3.08pm today and again at 3.24pm! Nothing since and it's now nearly 4pm!
I have a returns number and therefore 28 days to decide whether to have it replaced. I don't want the hassle IF the replacement is the same.
So, does anyone actually have the definitive answer to this problem?
Regards,
Mike

EDIT: Just noticed the post above me... I just checked the GUIDE Plus+ screen and, sure enough, it says Last Download - 8/7/2010 @ 1514, next @ 0310!!!

1514 is almost in the middle of the 2 clicks I mentioned above... COINCIDENCE? or not!

However, it STILL double-clicks a few minutes after switching it off, every time!

The clicks you hear a few minutes after switching off are when the set goes into it's low power state, prior to that it still consumes a higher amount, obviously not as much as when the panel is on but not as low as low power :)

Thanks for the reply... Don't you find it suprising that Panasonic didn't know that? The time I have spent on research is just amazing!

Are the other clicks due to the updates then? One double-click when the update starts, and one when it finishes?

Thanks for the reply... Don't you find it suprising that Panasonic didn't know that? The time I have spent on research is just amazing!

Are the other clicks due to the updates then? One double-click when the update starts, and one when it finishes?

I think you would be surprised what Panasonic CS don't know (or don't want to know) :)

Apparently yes, I have never actually heard any others though? I don't know if this is due to me not using Freeview, but it is tuned in so I assume it should be the same?

Can this Guide+ be switched off & just use the freeview guide?:(

I've just bought a 42G20B. Being delivered tomorrow. That clicking would get on my t*ts.

Last edited:
There is an option in the menu to switch System Update on/off, but I don't see any way of turning off the Guide Plus+ downloads. I don't think they are the same thing?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom