• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Panasonic G20 Owners Thread - part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly99

Distinguished Member

TallPaul

Is the best price for this set still Amazon at £599?

Bit worried still stories of buzzing ones :(

stevemac23uk

Standard Member
damm can i ask a question bought this tv less than a month ago from amazon. my price £613.00 in a month its gone down to £ 579.99 erm can i dispute this with amazon and get my cash back..? or am i wasteing my time replys would be greatfull thanks....god know how much itl be next month....hmm.

ChimpsInTies

damm can i ask a question bought this tv less than a month ago from amazon. my price £613.00 in a month its gone down to £ 579.99 erm can i dispute this with amazon and get my cash back..? or am i wasteing my time replys would be greatfull thanks....god know how much itl be next month....hmm.

At the end of the day. Technology comes down in price all the time. You must know that when you buy it. I'd think that only coming down £30 in over a month is not that bad. I doubt they'll give you any money back to be honest. Richer Sounds will do it if it's within about a week they put the price down but not a month. I'd just be satisfied you got a really good telly for £613. Put it this way, I paid £850 for mine 4 months ago :oops: :laugh: :suicide:

srpsrp

Standard Member
£599 at John Lewis with a 5 year warranty

Grrr just bought for £579 from amazon.. JL out of stock now anyway ;-)
I can't wait to get this little baby hung on the wall of my office, I already have a G20 downstairs, and it cost me a lot more than £579 !

Inferno

Distinguished Member

bobtree

Standard Member
About the buzzing.
All you guys that have it.
How bad is the buzzing?

On my g20 it buzzes, but when i sit 7 feet away and have the volume to the half way position, i can't hear it, as the sound from the telly takes over, if i concentrate, i can hear the fait buzzing.

Do i have a buzzer?

I know all plasma's buzz, but whats the norm on the g20.
It would be intresting to know from other people about their buzzing.

Solidmedia

I picked one up today at the Panasonic shop in Leeds on show for £799 but priced matched Comet (£599) and threw in 5 year g-tee too. :)

Awesome TV for that money, blows every LCD out of the water.

Dick Emery

Anyone any comments regarding the floating blacks issue and the workaround (More like compromise on black levels)? I've been playing and although it works the black level rise means there is no way to lower the black levels using either brightness, contrast or gamma (Why?). It seems there is no user control over the overall brightness of the display. It's like an LCD backlight you cannot control.

EDIT: One other thing. I noticed that the black levels only really drop when there are large portions of the screen that are dark. When a bright image displays alongside dark then the dark/black areas are not really that black because of this floating black level thing (APL?). It's almost like the black level drop on dark scenes is a bit of a cheat. At least with LED backlit LCD's (I am talking about the type that are not edge lit here) they do actually turn the light off in those areas to give a true black from what I can tell.

Last edited:

Dick Emery

Are there any technicians reading this thread with a G20? Anyone brave enough to try disconnecting the sensor altogether and seeing what happens with floating blacks (I.E. no signal is being recieved from the sensor so will it stop the TV working, carry on floating regardless or put the tv into either permanent float up or permanent float down state?).

moo_2002

yeh, they have 1700 back-ordered, you'd be lucky to get before christmas.
pls do update me/forum if you see a £599 inc 5 yr guarantee in stock...

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Are there any technicians reading this thread with a G20? Anyone brave enough to try disconnecting the sensor altogether and seeing what happens with floating blacks (I.E. no signal is being recieved from the sensor so will it stop the TV working, carry on floating regardless or put the tv into either permanent float up or permanent float down state?).

I wonder if there is any way to turn it off? I have had a look around and can't see anything at the minute but there are certain areas i wouldn't go :eek: unless i realy knew it could be done, and i am sure others have delved deeper into this than me.:rolleyes:

PS:
I should be able to do a black level reading this week and i will let you all know how it goes.

Last edited:

mgb77

Its maybe a better idea to cover the light sensor with a black tape and check if somthing is changing.

Dick Emery

Its maybe a better idea to cover the light sensor with a black tape and check if somthing is changing.

All this will do is put it into floating blacks mode (Because it now thinks it is in a dimly lit room) which is what we are trying to defeat. You can defeat it by shining a light into the sensor but all this does is make the blacks 'float' permanently. I.E. the blacks will be greyer all of the time instead of floating the black level up and down depending on what is being displayed. The deeps blacks are achieved using this floating method. However what I would like to do is see if disconnecting the sensor altogether disables floating blacks (In either direction. Up or down. Preferably down). or if it would just continue floating blacks because there is now no light sensor reading. Or worst of all forces the TV not function at all (Reconnecting it should fix that however).

Which is why I am asking if any technicians are in these threads who would be willing to test.

antonio1

yeh, they have 1700 back-ordered, you'd be lucky to get before christmas.
pls do update me/forum if you see a £599 inc 5 yr guarantee in stock...

Do you mean they are awaiting delivery of 1700? Can I ask why do you think they may arrive post Christmas? Just as I'm keen to get one....

Do JL price match Comet and Amazon (who are slightly cheaper) even though they sell it with just a 1 year warranty?

Last edited:

Ro5well

Standard Member
I’m off out to buy a G20 this afternoon. What do I need to know that I might have forgotten?

osc

Standard Member
has any one been able to play the .tts files yet?

i have used vlc and you just get a blank screen.

CriticalPoint

Standard Member
Got my 50G20 last week - Wasn't aware that the buzzing would be that bad :( It's on it's stand and there are a few things I want to try to reduxe the noise after reading back through these owners' threads. Firstly, I have an idle VGA in the back, connected to my PC, which is always powered - So I've just had the thought that there may be an element of feedback through that. With regards to Black's and how black they are - I've had it on for around 4 hours and it's not even close to bedding-in.. I was thinking about leaving the xbox on for a couple of days (off at night, obviously!) on the title screen of a game. This way, the tv is getting use, bedding-in and the image is constantly moving.. Good idea, or bad do we think?

Cheers, Crit.

ChimpsInTies

Got my 50G20 last week - Wasn't aware that the buzzing would be that bad :( It's on it's stand and there are a few things I want to try to reduxe the noise after reading back through these owners' threads. Firstly, I have an idle VGA in the back, connected to my PC, which is always powered - So I've just had the thought that there may be an element of feedback through that. With regards to Black's and how black they are - I've had it on for around 4 hours and it's not even close to bedding-in.. I was thinking about leaving the xbox on for a couple of days (off at night, obviously!) on the title screen of a game. This way, the tv is getting use, bedding-in and the image is constantly moving.. Good idea, or bad do we think?

Cheers, Crit.

Bad idea, There will always be some writing or a bright border to a button or something that doesn't always move. I know my media centre will play cool patterns on the screen when music is playing. That could do it.

Is your black level really that bad? I never had an issue with mine. Can't you just let it bed in naturally?

CriticalPoint

Standard Member
Bad idea, There will always be some writing or a bright border to a button or something that doesn't always move. I know my media centre will play cool patterns on the screen when music is playing. That could do it.

Is your black level really that bad? I never had an issue with mine. Can't you just let it bed in naturally?

I can - I should - I'm just impatient! I've just retired my Samsung LE-40756A which has a really nice edge over most LCD's in 'GAME' mode. I'm not really a 'tele' man, more of a consoler', if there is such a thing! I bought this as it's got integrated FreeSat HD and I though it wouldn't hurt to have the odd BBC channel now and again when Medal Of Honour got boring!

I'll let it bed naturally to be fair as my mate has the 50G10 and his took some 2+ weeks to fix up and look sharp.

Cheers Chimps, appreciated! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom