Panasonic G20 Owners Thread - part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
This thread is a continuation of the part 5 thread that can be found here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1276911-panasonic-g20-owners-thread-part-5-a.html#post12769414

For Reference

Last Post
rchads89 said:
Couldnt handle a real games console I see :laugh:
The Eggbox is great mate I'm just messing with ya. :smashin:
I know :p.

I do want a ps3 for the blu-ray and to play the new GT though :thumbsup: But i do think the new forza on the xbox will own that anyway but who knows :thumbsup:

HDMI from Xbox to TV. HDMI from surround sound to TV. Optical cable to surround sound. When playing games turn the surround sound on and set it to optical. So your xbox will display on screen and sound will come out the surround sound. :smashin:
Yep this is what i did :thumbsup:

Last edited:

adbailey18

Thanks lads,

Am I right in saying then that having it set that way its proper Dolby Digital decoding?

But say I bought an amp with ARC, I could just connect the amp to the TV's HDMI ARC port and eliminate the optical?

I'm considering either blu-ray home theatre, or amp and PS3 for my blu-ray.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Thanks lads,

Am I right in saying then that having it set that way its proper Dolby Digital decoding?

But say I bought an amp with ARC, I could just connect the amp to the TV's HDMI ARC port and eliminate the optical?

I'm considering either blu-ray home theatre, or amp and PS3 for my blu-ray.
Onkyo HTS3305 Black | 5.1 Package System with HDMI inc. Speakers exc. DVD player | Richer Sounds
Thats the system I plan to buy. It goes HDMI from xbox etc into amp then amp into HDMI socket. It depends on the surround system to what DD decoding it does. This one I think does them all. :confused:

adiep

Standard Member
Well the G20 arrived, im just watching SD Sky in Spain and it looks amazing. Really incredible. Very very pleased.

rchads89

Banned

adbailey18

Well the G20 arrived, im just watching SD Sky in Spain and it looks amazing. Really incredible. Very very pleased.
Glad your pleased:)

How 'wobbly' do you find it?!

adbailey18

Onkyo HTS3305 Black | 5.1 Package System with HDMI inc. Speakers exc. DVD player | Richer Sounds
Thats the system I plan to buy. It goes HDMI from xbox etc into amp then amp into HDMI socket. It depends on the surround system to what DD decoding it does. This one I think does them all. :confused:
That looks like exactly what I need! How loud do you reckon it can go?

Also looking at the specs, I notice 'HDMI Audio', is this what benefits from connecting it to the 'ARC' port on the TV?

Also what justifies the £150 increase on the next model up?
http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/onkyo/hts6305/onky-hts6305

Last edited:

paul stafford

Standard Member
Hi folks.

I've convinced my neighbour to buy one of these tv's and he's over the moon with it. The only thing is he's not having SkyHD and wants to use the built in receivers. He was asking about connecting a hard drive to it and how good it was. He also wanted to know about recording off one channel and watching another but on the other receiver. I wasn't sure what to tell him so reverted back to the experts :) Can any help?

Inferno

Distinguished Member
What like recording on freeview and watching freesat?? because you cannot do that, you can watch another input blu ray or whatever though.
Hard drives work fine though, i have one powered by the tv's usb and it works fine.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Yeah that's what he was on about. Recording off freeview whilst watching freesat. Is that a no no then?
Not tried it personally but a few have said it's not possible, seems silly really but there you go :(

chris19992

Do we get the same bonded anti reflective filter that the Americans get? If so, does that mean it cannot be rubbed off or is that still an isssue?

ChimpsInTies

Also looking at the specs, I notice 'HDMI Audio', is this what benefits from connecting it to the 'ARC' port on the TV?

Onkyo HTS6305 Black | 5.1 Package System with HDMI inc. Speakers exc. DVD player & iPod not included | Richer Sounds
For a start the more expensive one comes with an active sub rather than a passive one. Also it has 4 HDMI inputs instead of 3 and 2 coax inputs instead of 1.

Glidos

The Marantz NR-1501 is another good option. I wish I could recommend my G20 as highly.

ChimpsInTies

The Marantz NR-1501 is another good option. I wish I could recommend my G20 as highly.
Why what's wrong with your G20? :rolleyes:

AV ENTHUSIAST

Standard Member
Hi guys,
been observing my G20 for a week now, and have noticed one thing. Whichever setting i use blacks during the day look AMAZING! OUT OF THIS WORLD! however when it comes to night they seem to look dull, and more grayish. I dont mean like the g10 greys after the mll increase, but look nowehere near as good as during the day and kind of bug me. Anyone have any reccomendations. BTW the tv is on a wall about 3 metres away from the nearest light source (window) if it helps. Im thinking of returning it and getting a 50" now as 46" isnt doing it haha but before i do that i want to try and get blacks better at night! any ideas?
TIA

Glidos

Yes, just a little light in the room helps no end with perceived black levels and with other problems. I rarely watch mine in complete dark these days. If you are thinking of rejecting the set on the basis of black levels, you should probably check that there are TVs which can beat it, and that could be difficult to do if you can view other sets only in showroom conditions.

Glidos

AV ENTHUSIAST

Standard Member
Yes, just a little light in the room helps no end with perceived black levels and with other problems. I rarely watch mine in complete dark these days. If you are thinking of rejecting the set on the basis of black levels, you should probably check that there are TVs which can beat it, and that could be difficult to do if you can view other sets only in showroom conditions.
Na mate, i mat return for the same in 50" as im sure the panny is the best budget set out. ONly thing that p*sses me off sometimes is at night they look washed grayish but during the day with alot of light there fab! Il try out the lighting posted for £18.99 hopefully its well spent and makes a dif...

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Na mate, i mat return for the same in 50" as im sure the panny is the best budget set out. ONly thing that p*sses me off sometimes is at night they look washed grayish but during the day with alot of light there fab! Il try out the lighting posted for £18.99 hopefully its well spent and makes a dif...
It should do mate. Just a quick question but what setting you using for night viewing?

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
My G20 has gone, now I got to wait untill next week to get my replacement.

antonio1

I don't find the blacks that noticeable in a good or bad way but great tv though.

NB can anyone please help with this USB recording question. On formatting a 1TB hard drive, it's recognised and shows as 931GB capacity (if you press info button once you've done the USB HDD set up). See 931 photo attachment. Just the size you'd expect given hard drive size is always less than advertised. But....as per the second photo, the empty drive also shows in the video (viera tools) menu as 100 % free (correct) but just 876GB space. Why the disparity?? What has happened to the further 55GB?! When I record a programme the available space then reduces from 876 (not 931). I couldn't get any explanation from Panasonic and wonder if anyone else can comment either with the same situation or does their hard drive show the correct capacity in the video section? I've checked and have the same disparity with a second hard drive.

Attachments

AV ENTHUSIAST

Standard Member
It should do mate. Just a quick question but what setting you using for night viewing?
Im using THX most the time but sometimes use pro1 with tele's settings. I cant see much of a difference though regarding blacks.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Do you watch without lights on? If so thats why your seeing a difference at night, these panels dont show 'pure blacks' but more a very dark grey.
If you placed a very dark grey onto a light background it looks black (this is what you see in the daytime), place the same colour grey onto black and it stands out as grey(this is what you see at night).
Hope that makes sense.
:confused::D

Dick Emery

My G20 on the stand is a bit unbalanced. Checked with a level. I have to prop it up slightly on one side with my portable hard disk between the frame and stand.

Biggest issues I have with the TV are in the following order.
Phosphor decay flashes of greenish yellow/blue (Can be very distracting on movies like Sin City).
Posterisation. Most obvious on out of focus areas where the colour differences are small. Underwater scenes of light coming from above can show this up bad. Or things like light through fog/mist. I don't know why that shows it up so bad but it does.
Floating blacks. Luckily I don't see it often but when I do it's annoying. The Dark Knight intro is the best example I have seen to demonstrate this. When you see it...eek!
Lack of Dolby Digital 5.1 from Freeview HD (That's a real joke to be honest and everyone involved in this including the BBC and their choice of audio codec should be taken outside and shot! Transcoding 5.1 AAC to DD5.1 should have been mandated!).
HD videos played from the network only displayed as SD. Why? If the TV is powerful enough to decode it and display it as SD then it should be powerful enough to display it in HD! Maybe it will be added in a later update but I don't hold out much hope.
Adverts on the TV guide. Unforgivable. We paid for the TV outright. How dare they force adverts upon us!

Other than the above it's a great HDTV. Being my first HDTV though I feel rather disappointed considering the cost. It's easy to say return it but the dealer I got it from probably won't be easy to deal with as it was not from a big box seller. I've decided to just live with it's foibles until something better comes along and then sell it on.

Sorry to put the downer on things. These are issues most people probably won't notice and I do not notice them all the time or are less important. I am the perfectionist though and when I see that 'some' stuff that could 'probably' be fixed with some firmware update it generally peeves me no end.

Roll on OLED HDTV's...

Last edited:

Watkins

Standard Member

Onkyo HTS6305 Black | 5.1 Package System with HDMI inc. Speakers exc. DVD player & iPod not included | Richer Sounds

The most important difference being 100w vs 85w. 15 watts difference in output to the speakers per channel. More oomph = more powerful sound.
Also, the more expensive one can output to 7 channels, while the cheaper one only outputs to 5. Meaning you can hook up an aditional two speakers to the more expensive one.

According to specification on the page you linked, that is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending threads

Top Bottom